Coronavirus Thread - mod note post 23 & 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It was said earlier by someone else, but over reaction is necessary in order to get this under control. The issue isn't mainly how deadly this virus is, but how easily it spreads. This is the trade off that a lot of virus' have- how potent vs how contagious. This coronavirus is in that sweet spot of being deadly enough to be scary but mostly only to people in a smallish demographic, but very contagious. So, SARS was worse in that it was more deadly in the percentage of people it killed that got sick, but this will kill more people overall.

I'm regurgitating what I was told by a medical professional that understands this stuff much better than me, so it is possible that I'm misunderstanding some points he was making in our conversation.

Yeah I am not a medical professional by any means. I believe in the long run a lot of people will catch this. Is kinda spreading like a flu or a bad version of the cold. I think what the CDC is trying to do is spread out the cases. So if we all minimize our risk in catching it we don't all have it at the same time and completely peg resources like ER facilities. So I agree pay attention to medical professionals and seriously do follow advise. Its not something to just blow off. But I do think its a lot less end of the world than a lot of people are making it out to be.

Reactions: Filppula

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Interesting, did they give a timeframe(s)? How do they figure 60-70%?
Unfortunately, Europe may have responded a bit late to banning travel with China. As others have said, an earlier ban would not have stopped the virus but slowed it down quite a bit. I think it was Philadelphia Children's hospital that a doctor with the virus treated about 50 children who returned to 50 schools. The virus can travel fast

edit: added link

Several Schools Closed After Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia Doctor At King Of Prussia Site Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Cap may go down due to Covid-19...per Serevalli. (this is where the Wings could benefit by getting players from teams up against the Cap, sadly from a potential plague/disaster unfortunately)

full article & video:
A look at how the coronavirus could impact the NHL’s bottom line - TSN.ca

excerpt:
"But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap.
The coronavirus’ impact on the economy at large, including a sharp downturn in the Canadian dollar this week, could also have a negative impact on next season’s revenue because approximately one-third of the league’s revenue is in Canadian currency.
“There is a lot of uncertainty right now and I think the concern is the unknown,” Gavin said. “There is still a lot to play out.”
Doesn't the CBA have a 3% or something kicker they are allowed to use, though?

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
He announced himself on social media according to Yahoo.

I was reading a translated article from the German newspaper Bild. German officials are expecting 60-70% of their population to get coronavirus. Upwards of 80% may never be aware or pass as if a regular flu strain.

Silver lining is most will be fine but it's sounding like those with the most averse affects will suffer immensely if they live.

This isn't exactley a newspaper...its tabloid journalism

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
*sigh* And this is the year the Frozen Four, which will surely be cancelled, is 10 minutes from my house. Still, my worries are small compared to the people getting sick out there.

Everyone be safe and look out for your more vulnerable neighbors....and don't hog the toilet paper.

Reactions: Wearebadmr91

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Thank you to those engaging in reasonable dialogue. The key is that panic and ignorance are equally dangerous - people need to get informed from multiple sources and take responsible precautions.

I could get COVID-19 this afternoon and be perfectly fine, but with this rate of contagion, I could easily pass it to others, and it's not just about me. Say that of all the people I know, ten of them are high risk, from age and/or previous health conditions. If it spreads fast enough to overrun hospital capacities and all ten of those high risk people get it at once, one of them might not survive it. But if social distancing and good hygiene can at least slow it down enough that the health care system can treat people as they need it, then nearly everybody should be in good shape.

It stinks that it has already impacted things to this extent, and further impact is virtually guaranteed. But collectively everybody can make small sacrifices and good decisions and possibly save tens of thousands of lives (or more) of the most susceptible by handling this responsibly.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
as someone who crosses the border every day for work im kinda concerned about what this will mean for me. Working at home isnt an option :\

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
NHL will be following the NBA and cancelling the rest of the season, wonder if this changes the draft at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
thats what I meant sorry.

Mark Cuban spoke on ESPN this morning, and from what I gathered they plan to (hopefully) suspend the season 30-60 days to prevent further infection, and then finish the season later in the summer. (Fluid plan obviously, but seemed like the tentative plan from what I gathered).

So if the NHL was to follow the NBA’s lead, you should expect something similar to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
That the NBA cancelled their season and now the NHL is going to Cancel their season? I have not seen either of those, so stating as an absolute seems misguided.
Suspend/cancel, I typically don't chime in on things as it has come back on me and caused trouble so take it as you will. I absolutely hope it's wrong as it is going to also effect something else that is absolutely going to suck for me.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
(...)

Went to Target for a few things today. Empty shelves for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Lysol, and many canned goods. Out of curiosity checked Walgreens, also sold out of hand sanitizer.

It sucks hockey is going to be disrupted. It sucks people are going to get very ill. Many will think this is all a big overreaction, but unless we overreact it's going to keep getting worse and worse.

I hope all these measures help us get a handle on this before the systems are too stressed.
Two weeks ago, all this stuff (including flour and noodles) was almost sold out here in Northern Germany as well. Hoarders obviously prefer the cheap goods, by the way.

Meanwhile, the shelves are re-stocked with noodles, cans, flour and toilet paper again. So do not sell your soul nor body for that stuff yet!

Gruß,
BSHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad