Coronavirus Thread - mod note post 23 & 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No Bloodborne? What, people don't want to be reminded of a blood infection that turns people into monsters?

I'm getting really good at that game now. Before all this happened, I was stuck about halfway through the game. After, I'm cruising through the end game content like it owes me lunch money.

There is one game on that list that I play and had to scroll all the way down to #33 to find it. No hack-and-slash action games like Path of Exile, no RTS, no MMOs, no MOBAs on that list. With so many shooters recommended, no game from the Borderlands series on there. Meh.
I've been meaning to grab Bloodborne, but it seems to stay in the "I'll get it next time it's on sale" category. Hopefully it lands on the monthly PS Plus freebie list one day.

I agree the list is shooter-biased (as the entire industry seems to be these days). If I ever get more time to start working through my backlog, I plan on tackling:

God of War
Monster Hunter
Uncharted 1-4
Fallout 4
Shadow of the Colossus
The Division 2
Nioh
Darksiders 2 and 3 (LOVED the 1st one)
Sniper Elite 3 and 4
Diablo 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Batman: Return to Arkham
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Divinity: Original Sin
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Sheesh... You'd think the toddlers would be more understanding about the important things Daddy needs to get done, but NO... :D

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Me and my in laws all have Xboxs and we're trying to figure out which games we can play online with each other where we can also involve a few 8 year old kids. Any suggestions?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Me and my in laws all have Xboxs and we're trying to figure out which games we can play online with each other where we can also involve a few 8 year old kids. Any suggestions?

Minecraft. I think that one would be perfect for a creative little 8 year old. And it's fun for the adults, too.
Lego Star Wars Saga has online play, I believe. That might be good choice if they like those movies.
Sea of Thieves. You can all play that together and sail a ship! Really good but... make sure you disable all voice chat outside of your party. I've been called some really nasty things in that game by people.
Stardew Valley has co-op, too! Very chill game.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That's bonkers to me they can cancel a service you bought but still hold your money hostage.

It's not surprising to me after years of dealing with large businesses. Yet, I absolutely share that sentiment. It still makes my head spin ala Linda Blair in "The Exorcist" when I hear about these figurative face slaps.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's not gonna be good if Trudeau then bans the 2000 nurses and doctors who daily drive from Windsor into work at Detroit area hospitals..

Nah, that's not the play.

The play is to have those 2000 medical professionals start smuggling the masks to Canada. "Bill, I'm gonna punch out. I got hockey practice, eh." And off he walks with a goalie bag full of masks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've avoided going to walmart until today. Their website claimed to have something in stock that I was looking to get for Easter but it was an in-store only guy. I get there, the place is packed. Like, normal day packed. Except people just seem to be made a bit dumber by circumstances. There are whole families wandering around, and I mean wandering. Directionless, start/stop/turn-around/stop/turn around, stare numbly at aisles of kitchen clothes, apparently wondering just how many towels will be needed for dishes this week.

I ask someone about what I'm looking for, and they say it'll be at the front of the store on a clearance table. But it's not on a table. it's in one of five massive bins with everything randomly dumped into it.

I paw through it for a bit because, frankly, it was just too cheap to not at least try. And of course I couldn't find it. But they had a similar product for a price that I also couldn't beat without driving an hour and twenty minutes across town. So, I got that. And still had to deal with a literal horde of people, wandering around, just...I don't know.

I don't know what it's like wherever everyone else is from, but my best advice right now for everyone's health is just to stay the hell away from WalMart. Go shopping anywhere else because it's a damned mess.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've avoided going to walmart until today. Their website claimed to have something in stock that I was looking to get for Easter but it was an in-store only guy. I get there, the place is packed. Like, normal day packed. Except people just seem to be made a bit dumber by circumstances. There are whole families wandering around, and I mean wandering. Directionless, start/stop/turn-around/stop/turn around, stare numbly at aisles of kitchen clothes, apparently wondering just how many towels will be needed for dishes this week.

I ask someone about what I'm looking for, and they say it'll be at the front of the store on a clearance table. But it's not on a table. it's in one of five massive bins with everything randomly dumped into it.

I paw through it for a bit because, frankly, it was just too cheap to not at least try. And of course I couldn't find it. But they had a similar product for a price that I also couldn't beat without driving an hour and twenty minutes across town. So, I got that. And still had to deal with a literal horde of people, wandering around, just...I don't know.

I don't know what it's like wherever everyone else is from, but my best advice right now for everyone's health is just to stay the hell away from WalMart. Go shopping anywhere else because it's a damned mess.

In my little bubble it feels like everyone is taking this really seriously and doing a great job. I'm watching people out walking 6 feet apart. I'm seeing people make room in hallways in my apartment. People are acting different at the grocery store by waiting for someone else to finish in a section before finding what they want. Everyone is isolated, save for a partner or a child. And I'm like "Hell yeah, we're doing it, we're going to beat this ahead of schedule."

And then I read about stories like yours and I'm like, "Oh nooooooo."

Random Walmart musings to follow. Back in the UP, the Walmart was always chill. Like a less clean looking Target. But still clean and totally fine! Nothing like I read about on the internet. The whole "people of Walmart" thing was just a meme to laugh about but not something I ever personally experienced. For years, I thought Walmart got a bad rap. Annnnnd then I moved to the city and went to a Walmart during a peak hour. The stories were all true.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In my little bubble it feels like everyone is taking this really seriously and doing a great job. I'm watching people out walking 6 feet apart. I'm seeing people make room in hallways in my apartment. People are acting different at the grocery store by waiting for someone else to finish in a section before finding what they want. Everyone is isolated, save for a partner or a child. And I'm like "Hell yeah, we're doing it, we're going to beat this ahead of schedule."

And then I read about stories like yours and I'm like, "Oh nooooooo."

Random Walmart musings to follow. Back in the UP, the Walmart was always chill. Like a less clean looking Target. But still clean and totally fine! Nothing like I read about on the internet. The whole "people of Walmart" thing was just a meme to laugh about but not something I ever personally experienced. For years, I thought Walmart got a bad rap. Annnnnd then I moved to the city and went to a Walmart during a peak hour. The stories were all true.

This week's grocery shopping was a little rougher than normal. It was the first of the month, though, so it was sort of expected. And stores are still trying to stock during business hours and are parking their carts in the middle of aisles making staying away from people sort of difficult. But, yeah, it's been pretty good with people just being a little more aware. Today, I have to admit, I became part of the problem because I just had to get out of that place. Walmarts just sort of do that to me because their layout and the people in them are just...I don't know. I think the layout weirdly encourages it.

I thought everything in the UP was a less clean version of civilized society. :DD

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So, ventilators are apparently not exactly the life saver I think we have been envisioning. Reports are that 50-80% of the people who end up on a ventilator die. For comparison, from this article it mentions a study saying that from 2017-19 people who needed a ventilator had a 36% mortality rate.

We have to try, right? But...yeah. this is the kind of thing that I find scary. If the mortality rate is close to 80% than 50%...stay the hell out of the ICU, folks.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I truly dont understand the inclination to modify the stay at home order from "unless absolutely necessary" to "well, definitely less than usual, but still multiple times a week".

It's not a morally gray issue.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I truly dont understand the inclination to modify the stay at home order from "unless absolutely necessary" to "well, definitely less than usual, but still multiple times a week".

It's not a morally gray issue.
*smashes the "like" button repeatedly*

It blows my mind, the number of people that either STILL aren't taking this seriously, or still think it's a hoax.

Definitely don't panic. But when all you have to do is stay home, then c'mon people, do your part. The kids reached "Daddy's having Scotch tonight" levels of crazy yesterday, and I still never would have thought for a moment to actually break quarantine.

I did eventually put a rocks glass to good use, but I didn't break quarantine. :thumbu:

Reactions: vladdy16

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So, ventilators are apparently not exactly the life saver I think we have been envisioning. Reports are that 50-80% of the people who end up on a ventilator die. For comparison, from this article it mentions a study saying that from 2017-19 people who needed a ventilator had a 36% mortality rate.

We have to try, right? But...yeah. this is the kind of thing that I find scary. If the mortality rate is close to 80% than 50%...stay the hell out of the ICU, folks.

Well, if you need a ventilator, you're in really really bad shape. I'm not surprised that it is a high mortality rate. A big part of why that fatality load would be much higher right now is that it's going to only be the worst of the worst going on the ventilators because they're limited.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
91918784_118664019779723_1616208004644864000_n.jpg

Reactions: Wearebadmr91

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

In my experience this applies to even non-"end of the world" times. I only go to WalMart if it's absolutely necessary. Some things just aren't that much cheaper.

Reactions: Winger98

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
What do you think of the USA decision to steal facemasks from Germany at the airport in Thailand?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What do you think of the USA decision to steal facemasks from Germany at the airport in Thailand?

I don't want to get too political. So I'm going to try to tread lightly and answer your question while gently blowing on flames instead of fanning them. I'll try to concern myself with morals more than the mechanisms of government. So...

It's a call back to a time before WWII when America was isolationist and the mantra "America first" was the prescription for all complicated global issues.

Who gets what when quantities are limited is a immensely difficult puzzle to solve. And there may not be a correct answer. Every answer is going to feel bad on some level.

But I have no confidence in the current leadership, given the uninformed rhetoric that has been used for the last month, to make a scientific, fact-based, and ultimately moral decision regarding the well-being of our own citizens, let alone those in other countries.

It's disappointing that when there's only a few rolls of TP left on the shelf, our country would go "MINE!" and scamper off. COVID-19 illuminates we are a connected world and face issues together as humans, not as singular nations. Our borders have proven to be meaningless constructs to a virus. So maybe take note that the well-being of our neighbors will directly affect the well-being of ourselves. To act with altruism in the face of hardship is the best form of self preservation.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I'll give you the response as a resident of Detroit/Michigan, one of the hardest hit areas in the country. At this point, it pretty much feels like we are on our own. There has never been more of a disconnect with the federal government as there is now. It's very evident with the well publicized fued with our governer and that guy from Washington.

I think I speak for many in our state when I say that I'm more concerned with keeping up with things in my backyard than anything else. I'm sympathetic to everyone's plight, believe me. With the incongrous response from Washington and even some states, it feels like the "United" part has been taken out of USA. In short, decisions from Washington D.C. feels like it's coming from a remote entity at this point.

I know this thread is not supposed to be political. The subject was broached and I'm relating my reality. I feel like our best path is what we do as a state right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad