Coronavirus Thread - mod note post 23 & 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Shit. we had an epidemic in the 1980s. I don't know if the garbage bag couture is going to save us.

5e1a3e3de548cc6671666923eddbd1296c76b8f2

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Working from home sucks. Internet installed this morning but the tech could not enter my domain. Drilled a hole into my wall from the outside and fed me the coaxial and the router through my window. He was kind enough to stand outside my window and provide me set-up instructions. In order to set-up my work station I had to move everything in my studio around. I hope this shit ends soon. Not a good set-up overall but my employer is paying for damn fast internet service during the duration. A silver lining in this disaster!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Working from home sucks. Internet installed this morning but the tech could not enter my domain. Drilled a hole into my wall from the outside and fed me the coaxial and the router through my window. He was kind enough to stand outside my window and provide me set-up instructions. In order to set-up my work station I had to move everything in my studio around. I hope this shit ends soon. Not a good set-up overall but my employer is paying for damn fast internet service during the duration. A silver lining in this disaster!

I bought the Google Nest Wifi mesh network.

Holy shit, this thing has changed my life. I had one night before I got it that I timed out about 3-4 times on a report that took 25 minutes to run. Now, no hiccups from working all day. It's amazing.

Went from getting maybe 20 mbps downstairs in my office to 100 and from 80-90 in the living room to 350.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I bought the Google Nest Wifi mesh network.

Holy shit, this thing has changed my life. I had one night before I got it that I timed out about 3-4 times on a report that took 25 minutes to run. Now, no hiccups from working all day. It's amazing.

Went from getting maybe 20 mbps downstairs in my office to 100 and from 80-90 in the living room to 350.

Not surprised to hear that. Part of my line of work is installing a WiFi device into folks homes. Most "slow" internet issues are wireless issues. Older homes with plaster walls are impossible. Big metal appliances. Even big mirrors. And most standard cable company build in wifi routers are only so-so.

Creating that repeating network, as you did, eliminates almost all of those issues.

I have the opposite problem in my city apartment. My WiFi coverage is great, but so is everyone's... So it's all a bunch of screaming signals yelling over one another. If you have this issue you can scan the channel your neighbors are using and move to a less busy one. Not a magic bullet but does help. Also there's changing from a 2.4 to 5.0 GHz frequency.

Connecting on the 2.4 GHz will give you more range for longer distances. But its prone to more interference as all kind of home devices us that frequency. 5.0 is shorter range but a stronger and usually faster signal.

Reactions: Konnan511

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not surprised to hear that. Part of my line of work is installing a WiFi device into folks homes. Most "slow" internet issues are wireless issues. Older homes with plaster walls are impossible. Big metal appliances. Even big mirrors. And most standard cable company build in wifi routers are only so-so.

Creating that repeating network, as you did, eliminates almost all of those issues.

I have the opposite problem in my city apartment. My WiFi coverage is great, but so is everyone's... So it's all a bunch of screaming signals yelling over one another. If you have this issue you can scan the channel your neighbors are using and move to a less busy one. Not a magic bullet but does help. Also there's changing from a 2.4 to 5.0 GHz frequency.

Connecting on the 2.4 GHz will give you more range for longer distances. But its prone to more interference as all kind of home devices us that frequency. 5.0 is shorter range but a stronger and usually faster signal.
I have the same issue.

Wifi signal is generally good but when I look at available networks to join mine, there's usually at least 3 others at full signal, and maybe 5 to 10 more with some sort of signal available.

Now that I'm working from home I was thinking of updating from my old Airport Extreme to a mesh network. with that much signal interference around though it seems like an arms race. Who's got the strongest Wifi!!!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I have the same issue.

Wifi signal is generally good but when I look at available networks to join mine, there's usually at least 3 others at full signal, and maybe 5 to 10 more with some sort of signal available.

Now that I'm working from home I was thinking of updating from my old Airport Extreme to a mesh network. with that much signal interference around though it seems like an arms race. Who's got the strongest Wifi!!!

That's exactly what happens. Everyone keeps upgrading to more powerful equipment and we're all screaming WiFi signals that reach into the damn parking lot just so our bedroom streaming isn't shit.

In good news, my apartment is hard wired for fiber internet. In bad news, whoever the hell installed it unhooked all the hardwire connections from the hub. Like... Why? Ugh. I could fix that part but they also wired that junction for power but didn't install an actual outlet to plug in a modem. So I have these worthless Ethernet jacks sprinkled around. Taunting me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's exactly what happens. Everyone keeps upgrading to more powerful equipment and we're all screaming WiFi signals that reach into the damn parking lot just so our bedroom streaming isn't shit.

In good news, my apartment is hard wired for fiber internet. In bad news, whoever the hell installed it unhooked all the hardwire connections from the hub. Like... Why? Ugh. I could fix that part but they also wired that junction for power but didn't install an actual outlet to plug in a modem. So I have these worthless Ethernet jacks sprinkled around. Taunting me.
ha.

Luckily our house is wired with cat 6 ethernet ports. But when I'm lying on the couch using my laptop to get in some pointless argument with someone here on this site, I want a faster wifi connection!!!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Some kids nearly didn't survive the day. school can't start again soon enough.

I was tempted to run ethernet through the house as I've renovated, but didn't think it was worth it. Having second thoughts lately.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
PS4 and NHL 20 are being delivered to my doorstep. Purchased bottles of Pink Whitney, Viking Blod and random single cans of beer. There's also a giant tub of Utz cheese balls. Random frozen meals, generic pills and Gatorade. I'm in bunker mode. Shouldn't need to leave my place for at least 2 weeks.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
PS4 and NHL 20 are being delivered to my doorstep. Purchased bottles of Pink Whitney, Viking Blod and random single cans of beer. There's also a giant tub of Utz cheese balls. Random frozen meals, generic pills and Gatorade. I'm in bunker mode. Shouldn't need to leave my place for at least 2 weeks.

Got my NHL 20 yesterday! But my Xbox won’t be here until Friday!!:(

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Here's a list from USA Today of games to try during the quarantine. Plenty of good ones from lots of genres:

The 34 video games you should be playing to get through the quarantine

No Bloodborne? What, people don't want to be reminded of a blood infection that turns people into monsters?

I'm getting really good at that game now. Before all this happened, I was stuck about halfway through the game. After, I'm cruising through the end game content like it owes me lunch money.

Reactions: jkutswings

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I hope you have a Stanley Cup sized bottle of Pepto bismol to offset the cheese balls:thumbu: I don't know if I missed you saying it, but did Air Canada ever give you a refund?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I hope you have a Stanley Cup sized bottle of Pepto bismol to offset the cheese balls:thumbu: I don't know if I missed you saying it, but did Air Canada ever give you a refund?

No refund from Air Canada even though the flight was canceled. They've given me a full credit valid for 24 months instead of the credit valid until 12/31 as first proposed. Glad I waited for them to cancel. StubHub will be giving me a 120% credit once the game is officially canceled. I was supposed to be Calgary bound tomorrow and attending the Battle on Saturday. Bummed but the trip is now pre-funded for '20-21 or '21-'22 once this bullshit blows over.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No refund from Air Canada even though the flight was canceled. They've given me a full credit valid for 24 months instead of the credit valid until 12/31 as first proposed. Glad I waited for them to cancel.

That's bonkers to me they can cancel a service you bought but still hold your money hostage.

Reactions: Winger98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad