Coronavirus in Football

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Also, I get it that the situation isn't easy, but they need to make decisions that affect the entire competition. Take the CL for example. Are they going to stop mid-round? Is that fair to the teams that played the second tie this week? Is it fair for the clubs who have yet to play their second legs? Or take tomorrow's Europa League fixtures for example. Two matches are postponed but the rest are going forward?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yup, sports is an escape of reality, particularly as you get older. Sure when you are kid/young adult you think it is life or death. But as you go through and see things happen to you or others around you, you just don't care as much about sports.
There’s still room to care a lot about both sporting and non-sporting things. I find it weird that everyone takes this high brow approach to judging what people’s priorities should be right now. To some it’s just a game but to a lot of people it means a lot more. It also being an escape can make it all that more important to some people in times like these.

Reactions: Machinehead

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There’s still room to care a lot about both sporting and non-sporting things. I find it weird that everyone takes this high brow approach to judging what people’s priorities should be right now. To some it’s just a game but to a lot of people it means a lot more. It also being an escape can make it all that more important to some people in times like these.

I'm not judging, I just don't care as much as I usually do. Not only do I not care that much but I think the games shouldn't be played because they're going to get fans and players sick alike, and that leads to bad things.

It's alright cause we'll only be talking about this for a few more days at most, there won't be much of an escape except for old television.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I get the bigger picture thing and I am also very much in favor of rational cost benefit analysis. Climate change being an area where that has completely disappeared. As for sports. You might get philosophical about it in terms of the meaning of life etc., but let us agree that on some level it is pointless compared to having access to water, food, shelter etc. I don't care if it is unfair or strange or whatever to stop competitions at a certain stage - just do it.

Reactions: Hadoop

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To me, it's not even an escape. Liverpool is real life. This is who I am. It's tattooed on my back. When my time is done and I go in the ground, it goes with me.

No, it doesn't make sense. If I could explain what it is with this club, I would. Some things are just meant to be.

Maybe I'm not as concerned as I should be and that's my privilege. I've got a pretty healthy household and I'll be able to work at home at full salary for awhile. If you can't do that, I hear you. You do you.

I just want our moment. I just want Henderson holding the title. I don't care if we do it in en empty arena. I don't care if we have to do it in the locker room. I don't care if we do it in somebody's house. I need one camera, the trophy, and Henderson. I just want that one image burned into my skull for the rest of my days.

You can call it selfish and it's definitely stupid. I can't change how I feel.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Monday was an interesting day in Liverpool. I was a guest of a well known group of people that cover the team and the tone around Coronavirus went from very jokey to very serious over the course of six hours. Then the flip switched around 1:30am GMT went the City game was cancelled. That was the oh crap moment.

I also was with a well known Liverpool reporter for a couple of days. When we first met him on Friday, the idea of closing down games was unrealistic and the PL would be more concerned with the legal issues of NOT playing; League One and Two teams need the gate money to stay afloat. Promotion/Relegation sliding doors. Etc. it was very interesting how the perception changed quicker than overnight. I might write about it.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgian FA finally realised this is serious and has starting taking measures as well.

The Cup Final between Club Brugge and Antwerp, to be played on March 22, has been called off and will be played on a later date.
Sunday is the final matchday of the regular season, those games will be played but in empty stadiums.

No decision yet on what will happen after that regarding playoffs. Since Club Brugge have a 15 point lead at the top I could easily see them call off the playoffs and keep the final regular season standings.

Reactions: Pouchkine

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's jas da flooo bruh.

This might lead to pubs being even more crammed.

Get to the pub while you can. Czech government is currently discussing a proposal to ban all events of over 10 people and shut pubs between 8pm and 8am. I have NO idea what the logic is that people will somehow become more liable to contract the virus at night as opposed to during the day.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Monday was an interesting day in Liverpool. I was a guest of a well known group of people that cover the team and the tone around Coronavirus went from very jokey to very serious over the course of six hours. Then the flip switched around 1:30am GMT went the City game was cancelled. That was the oh crap moment.

I also was with a well known Liverpool reporter for a couple of days. When we first met him on Friday, the idea of closing down games was unrealistic and the PL would be more concerned with the legal issues of NOT playing; League One and Two teams need the gate money to stay afloat. Promotion/Relegation sliding doors. Etc. it was very interesting how the perception changed quicker than overnight. I might write about it.

Really glad for you man that you managed to get that game in, though it was a sentiment that occurred to me more when it looked like you were going through than when you got Atletico'd

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
To me, it's not even an escape. Liverpool is real life. This is who I am. It's tattooed on my back. When my time is done and I go in the ground, it goes with me.

No, it doesn't make sense. If I could explain what it is with this club, I would. Some things are just meant to be.

Maybe I'm not as concerned as I should be and that's my privilege. I've got a pretty healthy household and I'll be able to work at home at full salary for awhile. If you can't do that, I hear you. You do you.

I just want our moment. I just want Henderson holding the title. I don't care if we do it in en empty arena. I don't care if we have to do it in the locker room. I don't care if we do it in somebody's house. I need one camera, the trophy, and Henderson. I just want that one image burned into my skull for the rest of my days.

You can call it selfish and it's definitely stupid. I can't change how I feel.

I do hope Liverpool gets the trophy even if they postpone the season. Not only because they deserve it, but because too many people who feel like you would feel aggrieved if they didn’t. No need for another generation of embittered Liverpool fans..

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'd still like that finality. It's going to be a disappoint for a lot of supporters out there too because the league would have an asterisk. I can't even see how they could proclaim any league winners without somehow resuming the season.

On the other end of the spectrum of footballing fans, I support a team in a relegation dog fight. What happens to those teams in relegation spots across Europe that still had a lot to fight for. Would suck for the season to conclude and for them to be sent straight down.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it should be noted that a college basketball coach in the States showed symptoms and it ended up just being the flu. Smart to take precaution and quarantine and get tested, but the symptoms of mild corona are the same as the flu.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Really glad for you man that you managed to get that game in, though it was a sentiment that occurred to me more when it looked like you were going through than when you got Atletico'd
I have no regrets about going to the game. Obviously I am disappointed they lost but it’s pretty far from the impact of the worst Liverpool loses I have seen. And there have been many. I did get to see them win against Bournemouth on Saturday too so that helped.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
UEFA has cancelled the upcoming U17 and U19 Euro qualifying, they will hold a meeting next Tuesday about their other competitions

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I do hope Liverpool gets the trophy even if they postpone the season. Not only because they deserve it, but because too many people who feel like you would feel aggrieved if they didn’t. No need for another generation of embittered Liverpool fans..
I mean, it's 9 games and 22 points. They really should give it to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad