Coronavirus effect on NHL playoffs

What effect will the coronavirus have on this season's playoffs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This Is Trump’s Fault

"I don’t take responsibility at all,” said President Donald Trump in the Rose Garden on March 13. Those words will probably end up as the epitaph of his presidency, the single sentence that sums it all up.

Trump now fancies himself a “wartime president.” How is his war going? By the end of March, the coronavirus had killed more Americans than the 9/11 attacks. By the first weekend in April, the virus had killed more Americans than any single battle of the Civil War. By Easter, it may have killed more Americans than the Korean War. On the present trajectory, it will kill, by late April, more Americans than Vietnam. Having earlier promised that casualties could be held near zero, Trump now claims he will have done a “very good job” if the toll is held below 200,000 dead.

The United States is on trajectory to suffer more sickness, more dying, and more economic harm from this virus than any other comparably developed country.

That the pandemic occurred is not Trump’s fault. The utter unpreparedness of the United States for a pandemic is Trump’s fault. The loss of stockpiled respirators to breakage because the federal government let maintenance contracts lapse in 2018 is Trump’s fault. The failure to store sufficient protective medical gear in the national arsenal is Trump’s fault. That states are bidding against other states for equipment, paying many multiples of the precrisis price for ventilators, is Trump’s fault. Air travelers summoned home and forced to stand for hours in dense airport crowds alongside infected people? That was Trump’s fault too. Ten weeks of insisting that the coronavirus is a harmless flu that would miraculously go away on its own? Trump’s fault again. The refusal of red-state governors to act promptly, the failure to close Florida and Gulf Coast beaches until late March? That fault is more widely shared, but again, responsibility rests with Trump: He could have stopped it, and he did not.

The lying about the coronavirus by hosts on Fox News and conservative talk radio is Trump’s fault: They did it to protect him. The false hope of instant cures and nonexistent vaccines is Trump’s fault, because he told those lies to cover up his failure to act in time. The severity of the economic crisis is Trump’s fault; things would have been less bad if he had acted faster instead of sending out his chief economic adviser and his son Eric to assure Americans that the first stock-market dips were buying opportunities. The firing of a Navy captain for speaking truthfully about the virus’s threat to his crew? Trump’s fault. The fact that so many key government jobs were either empty or filled by mediocrities? Trump’s fault. The insertion of Trump’s arrogant and incompetent son-in-law as commander in chief of the national medical supply chain? Trump’s fault.

For three years, Trump has blathered and bluffed and bullied his way through an office for which he is utterly inadequate. But sooner or later, every president must face a supreme test, a test that cannot be evaded by blather and bluff and bullying. That test has overwhelmed Trump.

Trump failed. He is failing. He will continue to fail. And Americans are paying for his failures.​

And that's just the opening...this is a long piece and well worth reading for all you news junkies who like to sample different sources.

Here is an Article about Frum...

The person who wrote the above article... "This is Trump's Fault"....

The Reinvention of David Frum - Antiwar.com Original

It's from 2012...

:popcorn:

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
An observation for all...

All but 3 Countries in this World are struggling mightily with what is going on...

Therefore with the vein of thinking I am seeing here "therefore" almost all of the leadership in this World are idiots...

Stop bashing the Leaders in this World I would say for the moment...

And just start focusing on your little part of the World... you will do more good and redeem yourself... giving yourself real purpose... be purposeful...

This is not a hockey game you can record... roll back and isolate... then offer up analysis...

This is so mind numbingly complex at every level... no easy choices... no easy measures...

Contribute now where you can... in little ways... so you can say you did your part...

And My final of summary to blame... and I feel like Rain Man... China... Peoples Republic... Leadership... <<<<<<

History is going to give you plenty of time to roll back, and isolate, offer a chance to analyze, then blame...

Unless you are walking in these "idiot" Leaders shoes... you have no concept...

We have voted for the Governments we have... we are stuck with them for now...

And next time an election is coming.... Run for Office in your constituency...

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
No surprise here.
But good news. From CNN.

...the main model used by the White House and pretty much everyone else was updated Wednesday to show far fewer projected US deaths from Covid-19 -- down to 60,415 people by August, from the 82,000 the model showed on Tuesday (which was already lower than previous projections).
What is going on?

CNN Health's Arman Azad reports:
New data on the pandemic's trajectory -- from the United States and around the world -- has been fed into the model almost every day, driving the changes.

Reactions: GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This Is Trump’s Fault

"I don’t take responsibility at all,” said President Donald Trump in the Rose Garden on March 13. Those words will probably end up as the epitaph of his presidency, the single sentence that sums it all up.

Trump now fancies himself a “wartime president.” How is his war going? By the end of March, the coronavirus had killed more Americans than the 9/11 attacks. By the first weekend in April, the virus had killed more Americans than any single battle of the Civil War. By Easter, it may have killed more Americans than the Korean War. On the present trajectory, it will kill, by late April, more Americans than Vietnam. Having earlier promised that casualties could be held near zero, Trump now claims he will have done a “very good job” if the toll is held below 200,000 dead.

The United States is on trajectory to suffer more sickness, more dying, and more economic harm from this virus than any other comparably developed country.

That the pandemic occurred is not Trump’s fault. The utter unpreparedness of the United States for a pandemic is Trump’s fault. The loss of stockpiled respirators to breakage because the federal government let maintenance contracts lapse in 2018 is Trump’s fault. The failure to store sufficient protective medical gear in the national arsenal is Trump’s fault. That states are bidding against other states for equipment, paying many multiples of the precrisis price for ventilators, is Trump’s fault. Air travelers summoned home and forced to stand for hours in dense airport crowds alongside infected people? That was Trump’s fault too. Ten weeks of insisting that the coronavirus is a harmless flu that would miraculously go away on its own? Trump’s fault again. The refusal of red-state governors to act promptly, the failure to close Florida and Gulf Coast beaches until late March? That fault is more widely shared, but again, responsibility rests with Trump: He could have stopped it, and he did not.

The lying about the coronavirus by hosts on Fox News and conservative talk radio is Trump’s fault: They did it to protect him. The false hope of instant cures and nonexistent vaccines is Trump’s fault, because he told those lies to cover up his failure to act in time. The severity of the economic crisis is Trump’s fault; things would have been less bad if he had acted faster instead of sending out his chief economic adviser and his son Eric to assure Americans that the first stock-market dips were buying opportunities. The firing of a Navy captain for speaking truthfully about the virus’s threat to his crew? Trump’s fault. The fact that so many key government jobs were either empty or filled by mediocrities? Trump’s fault. The insertion of Trump’s arrogant and incompetent son-in-law as commander in chief of the national medical supply chain? Trump’s fault.

For three years, Trump has blathered and bluffed and bullied his way through an office for which he is utterly inadequate. But sooner or later, every president must face a supreme test, a test that cannot be evaded by blather and bluff and bullying. That test has overwhelmed Trump.

Trump failed. He is failing. He will continue to fail. And Americans are paying for his failures.​

And that's just the opening...this is a long piece and well worth reading for all you news junkies who like to sample different sources.
I haven’t read a newspaper in over a decade and try not to watch any news on tv, especially the “news channels” because those are more opinion than reporting.

If I’m curious about something, I can look up actual accurate information including quotes that are not paraphrased or taken out of context and spread around sprinkled with opinion.

I have caught the many forms of media intentionally lying and intentionally spinning, many many times.

It’s how they divide us.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Mud I think you are confusing a countries ability to actually test and count to the actual number of cases. Most jurisdictions are still telling people with COVID symptoms to self isolate and they are never tested unless their symptoms become acute enough to hospitalize. Exceptions are health care workers and those traced back from a known case. This catches a lot, but it misses the majority of the unknown community spread. As somber as it sounds a much better way to track if a country is gaining control is to track death rates. World wide since the beginning of March the amount of deaths as a percentage of known cases has been growing steadily. So assuming the virus hasn't become more lethal over the last few weeks it would strongly suggest we (the world) is actually counting a shrinking percentage of actual cases.
I think it’s going to be a long time before we know as much as we want to about this and maybe we never will. Every country seems to attribute deaths to the virus differently, they test differently based on different criteria, within a country they test at different rates over time, there is no way of knowing how many have been infected and are a symptomatic etc.

The world is doing their best, but it’s very difficult to get accurate information or consistent figures from which we can draw conclusions. Understandable.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think it’s going to be a long time before we know as much as we want to about this and maybe we never will. Every country seems to attribute deaths to the virus differently, they test differently based on different criteria, within a country they test at different rates over time, there is no way of knowing how many have been infected and are a symptomatic etc.

The world is doing their best, but it’s very difficult to get accurate information or consistent figures from which we can draw conclusions. Understandable.

I read an article earlier this morning relating to what you are getting at Ho'...

It was why the delays in testing with the Abbott m2000 Antibody Testers....? they are quick and can do huge numbers...

There are under 70 of them presently available as of that article...

They want to get them up and running and testing 24/7 targeting only healthcare personnel in the beginning...

Now how do you ask frontline personnel in short supply to leave and visit a "clinic"....? that would be too inefficient... we need every Healthcare worker available at all times...

The article didn't reveal the measures they were going to implement, because they weren't revealing the details because they most likely are struggling with he challenge of not disrupting caregivers...

A huge logistical challenge... I would imagine Portable Pop Up Clinics will start working their way around the U.S. taking the machines to each site of care... I couldn't imagine it any other way...

Wow... big challenges... not easily solved...

Reactions: ps241

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I read an article earlier this morning relating to what you are getting at Ho'...

It was why the delays in testing with the Abbott m2000 Antibody Testers....? they are quick and can do huge numbers...

There are under 70 of them presently available as of that article...

They want to get them up and running and testing 24/7 targeting only healthcare personnel in the beginning...

Now how do you ask frontline personnel in short supply to leave and visit a "clinic"....? that would be too inefficient... we need every Healthcare worker available at all times...

The article didn't reveal the measures they were going to implement, because they weren't revealing the details because they most likely are struggling with he challenge of not disrupting caregivers...

A huge logistical challenge... I would imagine Portable Pop Up Clinics will start working their way around the U.S. taking the machines to each site of care... I couldn't imagine it any other way...

Wow... big challenges... not easily solved...

Agreed. I certainly don't blame anyone for the challenges, because many issues that the experts thought they had nailed down have had to be revised, as would be expected during a global life & death challenge such as this.

When we look to the charts etc at a particular point in time, we can get hopeful or the opposite depending on how the figures look, but the data isn't that reliable yet. For instance was it Italy that had huge number who had died of the virus, but it turns out that anyone who died and had the virus, was attributed to the virus regardless of whether they would have died otherwise? Then other countries were counting completely different. Also for instance, we look at whether the number of cases is up or down, but that is completely dependent on number of tests and where and why those people were tested. As I have said before, we have no idea what the spread rate is or what the mortality rate is because we don't know how many people have contracted the virus an haven't shown symptoms and therefore haven't been tested. Most of the world could already have been infected (I doubt it), but we wouldn't know...... yet.

So many variables right now, understandably. All we can do is do our part the best we can and wait for the experts to come up with a treatment or a vaccine.

Reactions: ps241

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agreed. I certainly don't blame anyone for the challenges, because many issues that the experts thought they had nailed down have had to be revised, as would be expected during a global life & death challenge such as this.

When we look to the charts etc at a particular point in time, we can get hopeful or the opposite depending on how the figures look, but the data isn't that reliable yet. For instance was it Italy that had huge number who had died of the virus, but it turns out that anyone who died and had the virus, was attributed to the virus regardless of whether they would have died otherwise? Then other countries were counting completely different. Also for instance, we look at whether the number of cases is up or down, but that is completely dependent on number of tests and where and why those people were tested. As I have said before, we have no idea what the spread rate is or what the mortality rate is because we don't know how many people have contracted the virus an haven't shown symptoms and therefore haven't been tested. Most of the world could already have been infected (I doubt it), but we wouldn't know...... yet.

So many variables right now, understandably. All we can do is do our part the best we can and wait for the experts to come up with a treatment or a vaccine.

And the best we can do... right now... is each of us to help each other in our little Worlds...

The facts will come... eventually... and data is actually necessary to make the right choices... with out accurate data is any global Leader able to do their job right.... ?

:dunno:

Reactions: Howard Chuck

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

It's from 2012...

Most educated people here know plenty enough about David Frum, an esteemed conservative commentator, from a wonderful Canadian family. But they may not know about Justin Raimondo, the person who wrote the "Article" about Frum.

PS: Charles Lindbergh (bolded mine) was another well-known racist and Nazi sympathizer.
Anyone else you'd like to quote?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia:
Major ideas and recurring themes (of Justin Raimondo)

Raimondo argued in a 2003 Antiwar.com column that Israel exerts a dominant force in the formulation of American foreign policy.[24] Raimondo also believed that the United States was led into World War II through lies by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and that the U.S. deliberately provoked a war with Japan through economic sanctions.[25] Raimondo's views were compared by Christopher Hitchens to those of Charles Lindbergh,[26] whom Raimondo once described as an "American hero sprung from the heartland."[27] Raimondo also wrote that Israeli intelligence operating in the U.S. had advance knowledge of the September 11, 2001 attacks.[28]

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
On CBC right now they are predicting we will have to have strong social distancing until the fall sometime. And given that large sporting events will be ( and should be ) the last thing to open it's doors, IMO the only way the NHL even resumes next season, on time, will be with empty buildings.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Most educated people here know plenty enough about David Frum, an esteemed conservative commentator, from a wonderful Canadian family. But they may not know about Justin Raimondo, "the person who wrote the above article".

PS: Charles Lindbergh (bolded mine) was another well-known racist and Nazi sympathizer.
Anyone else you'd like to quote?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia:
Major ideas and recurring themes (of Justin Raimondo)

Raimondo argued in a 2003 Antiwar.com column that Israel exerts a dominant force in the formulation of American foreign policy.[24] Raimondo also believed that the United States was led into World War II through lies by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and that the U.S. deliberately provoked a war with Japan through economic sanctions.[25] Raimondo's views were compared by Christopher Hitchens to those of Charles Lindbergh,[26] whom Raimondo once described as an "American hero sprung from the heartland."[27] Raimondo also wrote that Israeli intelligence operating in the U.S. had advance knowledge of the September 11, 2001 attacks.[28]

Exactly Scel'...

I didn't make any comments on either article...

Thanks for proving My point...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
6.6 MILLION people filed for unemployment last week in the U.S . :eek: Man it's going to take a long time to recover from this .

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

It's from 2012...

This doesn't seem particularly relevant to the Frum article about Trump...I mean unless the argument is "Frum was wrong about Iraq, so he must be wrong about this!" But that's just shooting-the-messenger and not a refutation. If we want to entirely discredit someone because they were wrong about something in the past, well, we could start with that two months of Trump downplaying, ignoring and underestimating the coming pandemic... ;)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
@Jets 31 are you guys stocking Clorox wipes? Only item I am having trouble finding.
We are but they go fast , i have to work tonight :( but i can let you know tomorrow morning if we got any . Obviously we are closed tomorrow but you could get them on Saturday if we got any .

Reactions: John Agar

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
You can make your own wipes:

Edit: of course you need paper towels for this method - and I've found those to be tough to find lately. You could probably do this with baby wipes - people haven't panic-bought those yet, I don't think.

Going to give that a go thanks! I have seen paper towels at Superstore on Gateway pretty much every time I have gone shopping, although I go for 8am

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
TORONTO - Amid staggering job losses across Canada due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government on Thursday said it expected the number of Canadians killed by the novel coronavirus to double over the next week.
If stringent measures remain in place, the country's top public health officer predicted the pandemic could cost at least 4,500 lives over its course. Without such controls, models indicate as many as 80 per cent of the population could have been infected, and as many as 350,000 could have died.

Multiply those numbers by >10 for the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad