Coronavirus effect on NHL playoffs

What effect will the coronavirus have on this season's playoffs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
With the playoffs about a month away, I'm curious to know what people think is going to happen. For the "some teams affected" option, I'm thinking they could be in hot spots which might force the team to play their home games in an empty arena, play all their games on the road or be held in another city that is unaffected.

These are the four scenarios I can envision, but if you can think of another, I've included an Other option.

Note the poll is to predict what you think will happen, but feel free to comment on what you think should happen, as well.

As always, let's be mindful of the board's restrictions on political commentary.

Thanks.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As a pessimist, I of course voted the nuclear option but I've been wrong before. :nod: But I also think it would be the right course of action under the circumstances.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Empty arenas seem like a strong possibility, but I wouldn't see the point of cancelling the playoffs unless loads of players got sick first.

The players don't mix with the public on planes, so you would think they could remain in a bit of a bubble together.

Regardless of what happens with the playoffs themselves, I would be shocked if there were any street parties. I think those are virtually certain to be a casualty of all this.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I chose other. It's hard to know what happens because ... well ... people are involved.

The first reaction in Canada to growing concern about the spread? Toilet paper hoarding.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
cancelling the playoffs i think would depend if only a player or coach contracts it

Reactions: ATLbound

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I'm not sure I believe my selection (cancel playoffs), but I'm wondering if financially it even makes sense to play a game in an empty arena. I realize there may still be tv money involved, but does the loss of ticket revenue and concessions overwhelm that amount?

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm starting to become very concerned they may cancel the playoffs, and that it may be the right decision. This virus is so easily spread there's virtually no way to stop it now without stopping people from interacting in large groups and even that will only help mitigate the damage.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@buggs come out come out wherever you are.

my guess is empty arenas but they will try to soldier on. Very hard to say. Large public gatherings are very much at risk.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the U18's and Worlds will be cancelled for sure. Depends on what the cities in the league do, but if enough of them cancel large gatherings outright then the NHL with either have to play in front of empty arenas or cancel the playoffs all together. The US response has been pretty terrible and I think it's just the tip of the ice berg so far.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure I believe my selection (cancel playoffs), but I'm wondering if financially it even makes sense to play a game in an empty arena. I realize there may still be tv money involved, but does the loss of ticket revenue and concessions overwhelm that amount?

Compared to bringing in nothing? The TV money wins.

I doubt PO are cancelled altogether, but who knows?

Watching the pace that this is developing at, it is certain to have a very large effect. I'm wondering if I will be able to see my last home game of the season < a week and a half from now.

One thing that is clear is that waiting to apply restrictions is asking for disaster. They need to put them in place BEFORE it takes hold in an area.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

my guess is empty arenas but they will try to soldier on. Very hard to say. Large public gatherings are very much at risk.

There are costs to putting on playoff games. It's bad enough to lose playoff revenue. How receptive would teams be to picking up the costs of arena operation, travel and accommodation with no offsetting revenue?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Watching the pace that this is developing at it is certain to have a very large effect. I'm wondering if I will be able to see my last home game of the season < a week and a half from now.

If they deprive me of my bobblehead, I'll... I'll...

source.gif

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, I have gotten to the point I can't really brush it off anymore. I am not really concerned about getting sick myself, but it is obviously going to hit many things this spring in regards to possible cancellations, postponements and delays. A woman I went to high school with is actually stuck in Italy right now due to their lockdown, so then you start thinking like "hmm OK". My Niece is also working in New Zealand, she was supposed to be back home in May now I am a bit concerned for her not getting back (but I don't think there have been any cases there yet?)

I think Canada is much better equipped to deal with it though and had a head start on control measures so I think we will be OK here. But if it ends up needing to play in empty arenas or cancelling/delaying games to keep things in control, so be it

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
There are costs to putting on playoff games. It's bad enough to lose playoff revenue. How receptive would teams be to picking up the costs of arena operation, travel and accommodation with no offsetting revenue?
My prediction... all playoff games will be Pay-Per-View and won't be available to businesses to show to masses...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The playoff gate is where teams make their money... no salaries for the players. Sure they get TV money, but the TV money has been contractually agreed upon already. It's not like the NHL can ask for 3 or 4 times the TV money to offset the loss of the gate if they decide to play in empty arenas, but it still is money, and the NHL likes their money.

The fact is, some player on a team or teams, or someone from the support staff for the teams that interact with the players, will get sick. It's inevitable. And if it's a team in the playoffs, they will most likely stop playing, which means a forfeit to the other team. Who wants to see the Stanley Cup awarded by people in hazmat suits to a team that won by forfeit?

Sure, no one wants to see the season halted or the playoffs not held, because it looks bad. But how bad are the optics of trying to force your way thru the playoffs, only to have to stop them anyways?

Honestly, it's such a fluid situation so who knows what the NHL will do, but my guess, the NHL cares about the bottom line, and even if it's only TV money, they will try to play thru the playoffs even if it means playing the games on an outdoor rink on Baffin Island.

And if I actually thought the Jets had a chance to win the Cup this season, I would be all for it at all costs... damn the public's health. :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Well these aren't my kinds of bugs but I cannot help but feel the reaction to this is rather over the top. Below is just my rant on this whole thing, take it or leave it, love it or hate it. It's just an opinion and we know that everyone has those and at least one other thing...

Yes, the condition can be quite serious (i.e. lethal) but in virtually all cases of death the individuals have been compromised in some way (respiratory illness, links to significant alcohol consumption in a chronic fashion, significant smoking history, significant age profile (i.e. >80). At the same time in many situations this is less significant than the flu in that some individuals are asymptomatic, something that is largely unheard of with garden variety flu. So you have a range of responses.

It is a novel virus that seems to have made the jump from animals to humans. While rare, it is not an uncommon occurrence in the grand scheme of things. That it has made that jump infers nothing about the lethality of the virus, so if you see some media reports indicating that because something made that jump its bound to be more lethal, please try to remember that it's likely that the individual making that claim has likely at best a degree in journalism that included zero science courses.

Pretty much the only source I'm following for information is the CDC out of the U.S. Thus far it seems to have remained largely apolitical and effective.

The CDC is referring to it as a pandemic already - occurring over a wide geographic range (check) and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population (not check, yet). They are likely correct in that it will achieve fully the status of a pandemic in so much as a significant proportion of the population will be affected, though not necessarily by the disease itself and we've already seemingly achieved that (see: toilet paper; hand sanitizer). I expect people will get sick beyond doubt but I also expect the mortality rate to be below that of the common flu when all is said and done.

I know a number of people in health care throughout Canada and the U.S. and this situation has them frustrated beyond belief because the medical system is already being overloaded by people with colds showing up thinking they have Corona virus. Functionally speaking with the aid of social media, Idiocracy has moved from being a relatively unfunny comedy to being a predictive documentary.

What happens in the NHL will largely be dictated by political decisions. Not those indicated by the CDC or Health Canada (who I have less faith in), but by reactionary politicians that are more concerned for their political futures and possible litigation consequences than any sort of logical response.

The outcome is probably largely going to be dictated by how quickly spring and warm weather arrives as flu typically drifts away once that happens, so too will the issue with corona.

I'm not a fan of the precautionary principle because it is so often taken to extremes (remember, each day you go outside you have a chance to be hit by a car or a meteor falling from the sky - precautionary principle says you shouldn't leave your house, just in case) and is a very slippery slope. But that seems to be the flavor of the day atm. Sigh.

If you're immuno-compromised for some reason I would urge a degree of caution. If you're a relatively health adult then you might end up with a bad flu, but I'm guessing most don't even get that.

Guessing based on the power of the media, social media and the general idiocy of politicians they may delay the season/games based on political edict and will finish the season out in July.

Nov 24, 2006
I think we're going to see games played in empty arenas, and it will be surreal. We are going to remember this year for a long time because of this.

I wonder if they will try to keep cameras just above ice level so you can't see anything and have some fake crowd noise? It will be more bizarre if they are playing in silence.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I wonder if they will try to keep cameras just above ice level so you can't see anything and have some fake crowd noise?

Doubtful. You usually see that 'avoid the stands' camera technique in places where crowds are embarrassingly small for whatever sport. But when it's the coronavirus' fault that the stands at Scotiabank Arena or Bell MTS Place are empty, there really is no embarrassment to cover up with camera work.

I suspect everyone, players and fans watching at home, will get used to the new normal within 10 minutes of the opening faceoff.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I watched the Alberta minister yesterday and she said if you are feeling sick stay home and don't go to the hospital or doctors office because you could spread the virus . Makes sense except if you stay home how do you know if it's a cold , flu or the Beer virus ? I look at it like this , if you are elderly or have a medical condition you stay home for a little while . But if you aren't one of those just use common sense and this should pass .

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If they deprive me of my bobblehead, I'll... I'll...

source.gif

:laugh:
None of us was alive to witness any similar event. I think we are all going to have to pay in one way or another. I'm part of the vulnerable population. I hope all it costs me is a little entertainment.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I voted some teams affected but it's a tough call. If not I think they'll go closed doors. Street parties definitely are definitely gonna be a casualty imo.

I chose other. It's hard to know what happens because ... well ... people are involved.

The first reaction in Canada to growing concern about the spread? Toilet paper hoarding.

Exactly the same situation in Australia and NZ. Causing carnage in supermarkets. Must be some part of a collective Commonwealth psyche. :laugh:

Yeah, I have gotten to the point I can't really brush it off anymore. I am not really concerned about getting sick myself, but it is obviously going to hit many things this spring in regards to possible cancellations, postponements and delays. A woman I went to high school with is actually stuck in Italy right now due to their lockdown, so then you start thinking like "hmm OK". My Niece is also working in New Zealand, she was supposed to be back home in May now I am a bit concerned for her not getting back (but I don't think there have been any cases there yet?)

The latest NZ case count is at five, all either people who had travelled to Iran or Italy, or a member of the same household. As a comparison, NZ had about 3000 cases and 19 deaths from Swine Flu. The travel restrictions have so far been on foreign nationals arriving from or via China. As far as I know no one has been barred from leaving the country. I'm due to fly back to NZ for a few weeks in a couple of months. I've got transit through the US and I'm a bit concerned about the situation deteriorating there and causing a logistical headache, as well as insurance issues coming back into France. I'm sure your niece won't get sick but I hope she doesn't run into any travel problems!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Social media is definitely adding to the hysteria, as I do not remember this much fear about SARS or even H1N1 in '09.

There wasn't this much for SARS or H1N1. Not even close to this much "panic".

Today it's all about "clicks" and being the first to report anything no matter how big the lie or how in-factual the facts. It's a fight between that and getting accurate useful information out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad