Coronavirus effect on NHL playoffs

What effect will the coronavirus have on this season's playoffs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Grant Park co-op is always stocked

Not so. I was in there early afternoon the other day since I was in the area and the cupboards were bare, so to speak. You know, this is why people hoard. Once a few start doing it, you pretty much have to follow their lead or risk being... ahem, shit out of luck. I'll tell ya, if I see some granny grab the last pack of TP...

WigglyDisgustingGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trump, Trudeau, Boris, Macron. Basically every single leader in the western world had a leg up on intel and absolutely botched their response. But that is typically how things work in the western world. We are reactionary. We plan for nothing long term.
Preparation for a pandemic should have begun long before this latest epidemic began. Globally, there is no effective and coordinated capacity to rapidly scale up testing, vaccine development, surveillance, etc. The WHO doesn't have the resources or an effective political structure. Countries try to focus on their own capabilities, but no single country can be expected to build and retain the redundant capacity to respond quickly at scale. Countries invest in very expensive military alliances like NATO, but not even a small fraction of that to prepare for a pandemic response. Bill gates has spoken cogently on this topic over the past few years, and has invested in some platforms for pandemic response, but national governments need to step up and build the surge capacity for the future.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh I am fully prepared to stick my arse in the shower if need be, it's not like I didn't do that in the 90s during the university days :laugh:

Believe it or not, we did not have running water on our farm until I was 3 or 4 (this was the late 70s). My earliest memories are going potty on a pail with a toilet seat on it. It was still not that uncommon in rural MB, we had a few neighbours who also did not have any well into the early 80s. Still blows my wife's mind when I tell her this as she grew up more urban than I did. So I do know about difficult toilet situations and how to adapt. Maybe a bidet kit is in order :laugh:

go to Costco they are rationing so everyone gets 1 package at least that’s been my experience.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know it’s conspiracy theory, but somewhere deep down inside, I tend to wonder. This would sure be a great way to test how the population responds to being told what to do.
When rational people figure out that there is a highly infectious virus that kills 1% of those who get infected, I don't think they need to be told to stay away from others and from crowded places. At least, that's the view of my friends, colleagues and family members.

@Daximus, my sincere condolences for the loss of your mother and for the travails you have endured over the past several weeks.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What is the best time of day/store to try and get some toilet paper? My local No Frills has empty shelves the last two times I was there, even with them restricting purchase amounts. Are people going to stores multiple times per day to try and add to their hoards? We are not out but I am becoming mildly concerned for next month. I would almost be on board with ration stamps at this point.

Not Costco either, I don't have a membership and don't plan on getting one.

WHERE IS ALL THE ASSWIPE???

I suggest you go to a small convenience store owned by local people in your area, they have Toilet Paper. I understand all the big stores are out of it, from those I've spoken to. I live in the St.Vital, Windsor Park area, and this store I go to for odds and ends always has it. Not 7/11, but a smaller locally owned one. Hope this helps.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I suggest you go to a small convenience store owned by local people in your area, they have Toilet Paper. I understand all the big stores are out of it, from those I've spoken to. I live in the St.Vital, Windsor Park area, and this store I go to for odds and ends always has it. Not 7/11, but a smaller locally owned one. Hope this helps.

OK, but do they have Charmin Ultra Soft? My tushie will not settle for anything less than Charmin Ultra Soft. :pout:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Trump can't "order" anything...whether things stay closed or stay open is a decision in the hands of governors and mayors. Even many governors that belong to Trump's party won't follow his lead of he decided to open things up while things were not under control. My state has a republican governor, and there is no way things are opening up if tomorrow Trump comes out and declares that businesses should open.

While I am sympathetic to and concerned about the economic impacts, it is incredibly unwise and shortsighted to start opening up the world until the spread is brought under control and testing is ramped up. Maybe sometime in May or June when social distancing has reduced the number of new cases to some small number per day and there is enough capacity to test people (like a million+ tests per day) with infrastructure to do contact tracing South Korea style then we can consider opening things up.

I believe Trump "can" order something be done -- in times of "national emergency" and threat to the security of the nation, the highest office being the President or PrimeMinister has special powers he can invoke for the security of the nation.

In around 1980 -- President Reagan "ordered" the air traffic controllers back to work because they were asking for too much of a wage increase, and inflation was running way to high and interest rates were 21% for a mortgage on your house. I was selling real estate at that time, and those were scary times, and "inflation" can only be cured by raising the interest rates, which was done. If inflation would have continued to run rampant, it would have destroyed the economy.

The office of the President has certain powers in times of "crisis"

Reagan "ordered" the air traffic controller back to work, and if they did not comply they would lose their jobs. Most went back to work -- almost all, and the ones that didn't lost their jobs.

EXAMPLE # 2 -- In around the 1960's era, when Pierre Trudeau was Prime Minister of Canada ( Justin's father) 2 of his cabinet ministers were kidnapped --one being Pierre Laporte, I believe his name was. Trudeau feared that other Ministers were in danger of being kidnapped, and declared a state of "national emergency" and Trudeau then evoked --the war measures act and called in the army, until this emergency was solved, and national security was restored. Trudeau did this, and security was restored.

Right now we are in a state of War -- however the enemy is not an invading country -- it's a biological war with a Virus, that's killing people. The President or Prime Minister is going to have to make a tough decision here -- and that's to issue orders, as to what will be done

In a state of War --and another country is invading, we all know we have to defend our country, and send our armies out to fight the enemy, and that will "cost lives" . We have to do this to protect our nation, and nobody would argue with this.

Now we have a biological War- a Virus "invading our country" --so we have several options. We can self totally self isolate, and let the economy shut down til the Virus is defeated, that could take 2-3 years.

This would lead to a total shutdown of the economy, thousands of jobs would be lost, thousands of houses taken back by the government ( banks), because people can't afford their payments, and housing prices would drop to less than half of their value. We cannot do it this way -- "can't happen."

OR

A compromise will happen -- and this is what I think will happen. Trump will get together with Trudeau, and declare a National Emergency, and "order" people back to work on the grounds of protecting the nation's security. ( economy) It will cost lives, yes, but a lot less lives than letting the economy totally fail. This is really a War we're in here right now, and we have to bravely fight it, for the good of all the nation's people. Eventually a Vaccine or special shot will be developed and "approved", and this will all be over.

The compromise --will be to have all older people, and people with underlying health conditions, self isolate in their houses, and the government will supply social assistance payments, to these people until the Virus is defeated.

The young and healthy will be "ordered" to go back to work -- practising social distancing, as we're all doing now, and wearing face masks and protective gloves if they wish to. Same sort of practise that is happening right now, in large department stores, and seems to be working fine.

Thinking about this from all sides, this is the only reasonable way we can get thru this crisis, and the leaders of this country, and our neighbouring country, will have to step up to the plate, and order the Nation as to what will be done --and "people will comply.."

The Nation will be "ordered" back to work -- just like an army is ordered to fight, in a state of War. ( same thing) and yes it will cost some lives, but a lot less lives, than letting the economy collapse.

This is the only way to fight this war here -- compromise !!!

NOTE -- this may not be a popular post for those wanting extreme isolation measures taken, but it's a compromise approach, for the good of everybody.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
OK, but do they have Charmin Ultra Soft? My tushie will not settle for anything less than Charmin Ultra Soft. :pout:

I don't think they have Charmin Ultra Soft --so indeed your tushie would not be happy -- just a little irritated-- but nice and clean. :nod:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Air traffic controllers are federal workers Reagan was their boss, Dump can’t do f*** all to make people go back to work.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I believe Trump "can" order something be done -- in times of "national emergency" and threat to the security of the nation, the highest office being the President or PrimeMinister has special powers he can invoke for the security of the nation.

In around 1980 -- President Reagan "ordered" the air traffic controllers back to work because they were asking for too much of a wage increase, and inflation was running way to high and interest rates were 21% for a mortgage on your house. I was selling real estate at that time, and those were scary times, and "inflation" can only be cured by raising the interest rates, which was done. If inflation would have continued to run rampant, it would have destroyed the economy.

The office of the President has certain powers in times of "crisis"

Reagan "ordered" the air traffic controller back to work, and if they did not comply they would lose their jobs. Most went back to work -- almost all, and the ones that didn't lost their jobs.

EXAMPLE # 2 -- In around the 1960's era, when Pierre Trudeau was Prime Minister of Canada ( Justin's father) 2 of his cabinet ministers were kidnapped --one being Pierre Laporte, I believe his name was. Trudeau feared that other Ministers were in danger of being kidnapped, and declared a state of "national emergency" and Trudeau then evoked --the war measures act and called in the army, until this emergency was solved, and national security was restored. Trudeau did this, and security was restored.

Right now we are in a state of War -- however the enemy is not an invading country -- it's a biological war with a Virus, that's killing people. The President or Prime Minister is going to have to make a tough decision here -- and that's to issue orders, as to what will be done

In a state of War --and another country is invading, we all know we have to defend our country, and send our armies out to fight the enemy, and that will "cost lives" . We have to do this to protect our nation, and nobody would argue with this.

Now we have a biological War- a Virus "invading our country" --so we have several options. We can self totally self isolate, and let the economy shut down til the Virus is defeated, that could take 2-3 years.

This would lead to a total shutdown of the economy, thousands of jobs would be lost, thousands of houses taken back by the government ( banks), because people can't afford their payments, and housing prices would drop to less than half of their value. We cannot do it this way -- "can't happen."

OR

A compromise will happen -- and this is what I think will happen. Trump will get together with Trudeau, and declare a National Emergency, and "order" people back to work on the grounds of protecting the nation's security. ( economy) It will cost lives, yes, but a lot less lives than letting the economy totally fail. This is really a War we're in here right now, and we have to bravely fight it, for the good of all the nation's people. Eventually a Vaccine or special shot will be developed and "approved", and this will all be over.

The compromise --will be to have all older people, and people with underlying health conditions, self isolate in their houses, and the government will supply social assistance payments, to these people until the Virus is defeated.

The young and healthy will be "ordered" to go back to work -- practising social distancing, as we're all doing now, and wearing face masks and protective gloves if they wish to. Same sort of practise that is happening right now, in large department stores, and seems to be working fine.

Thinking about this from all sides, this is the only reasonable way we can get thru this crisis, and the leaders of this country, and our neighbouring country, will have to step up to the plate, and order the Nation as to what will be done --and "people will comply.."

The Nation will be "ordered" back to work -- just like an army is ordered to fight, in a state of War. ( same thing) and yes it will cost some lives, but a lot less lives, than letting the economy collapse.

This is the only way to fight this war here -- compromise !!!

NOTE -- this may not be a popular post for those wanting extreme isolation measures taken, but it's a compromise approach, for the good of everybody.
Another post full of misinformation Do you even research anything or do you just post without checking your "facts"?
James Cross was an english diplomat that was kidnapped and killed, Pierre LaPorte was a deputy premier on Quebed that the FLQ also kidnapped.
The rest of your misinformation I will let be...you should really check what you post on here before posting.
You will be disappointed when the country is not ORDERED back to work and you have to wait a little longer to make your couple of bucks of of the stock market.
Houses dropping by 50% and the economy shut down for 2-3 years? I can't believe some of the stuff you post on here.
I am glad to see that you are social distancing though.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
4 days in a row that the US has seen lower numbers of new cases compared to the highest day so far. Not a big drop but it’s looking more positive than the alternative. Could be levelling off similar to what we’ve seen in Europe.
D5E22673-37B9-4EF4-AEA4-8DAEC3938CD7.jpeg

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Another post full of misinformation Do you even research anything or do you just post without checking your "facts"?
James Cross was an english diplomat that was kidnapped and killed, Pierre LaPorte was a deputy premier on Quebed that the FLQ also kidnapped.
The rest of your misinformation I will let be...you should really check what you post on here before posting.
You will be disappointed when the country is not ORDERED back to work and you have to wait a little longer to make your couple of bucks of of the stock market.
Houses dropping by 50% and the economy shut down for 2-3 years? I can't believe some of the stuff you post on here.
I am glad to see that you are social distancing though.

Back to work 10/10 :cool:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Back to work 10/10 :cool:
Still think everyone will have forgotten about this virus in 2 to 3 months like you stated earlier??? and honestly, are you really social distancing??? Honestly?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Still think everyone will have forgotten about this virus in 2 to 3 months like you stated earlier??? and honestly, are you really social distancing??? Honestly?

Yes, I'm practising social distancing, as I do have respect for other people's feelings on this matter. You just don't blow smoke in people's faces -- "right" I'm not an inconsiderate person.

Well --2 - 3 months is very unrealistic, but in about a year, to a year and a half, this Virus will just be a memory -- hopefully. By accounts I'm reading numbers are levelling off, and coming down.

I do believe, some sort of "compromise" will have to be reached, to keep all parties satisfied, and safe-- and the economy intact. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
All we need now is for North Korea to fire a few more long range missiles over the sea of Japan to really spice things up. Putin have another area he wants to annex? The world is very weak right now. I fear some leader is going to do something really, really stupid.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This Is Trump’s Fault

"I don’t take responsibility at all,” said President Donald Trump in the Rose Garden on March 13. Those words will probably end up as the epitaph of his presidency, the single sentence that sums it all up.

Trump now fancies himself a “wartime president.” How is his war going? By the end of March, the coronavirus had killed more Americans than the 9/11 attacks. By the first weekend in April, the virus had killed more Americans than any single battle of the Civil War. By Easter, it may have killed more Americans than the Korean War. On the present trajectory, it will kill, by late April, more Americans than Vietnam. Having earlier promised that casualties could be held near zero, Trump now claims he will have done a “very good job” if the toll is held below 200,000 dead.

The United States is on trajectory to suffer more sickness, more dying, and more economic harm from this virus than any other comparably developed country.

That the pandemic occurred is not Trump’s fault. The utter unpreparedness of the United States for a pandemic is Trump’s fault. The loss of stockpiled respirators to breakage because the federal government let maintenance contracts lapse in 2018 is Trump’s fault. The failure to store sufficient protective medical gear in the national arsenal is Trump’s fault. That states are bidding against other states for equipment, paying many multiples of the precrisis price for ventilators, is Trump’s fault. Air travelers summoned home and forced to stand for hours in dense airport crowds alongside infected people? That was Trump’s fault too. Ten weeks of insisting that the coronavirus is a harmless flu that would miraculously go away on its own? Trump’s fault again. The refusal of red-state governors to act promptly, the failure to close Florida and Gulf Coast beaches until late March? That fault is more widely shared, but again, responsibility rests with Trump: He could have stopped it, and he did not.

The lying about the coronavirus by hosts on Fox News and conservative talk radio is Trump’s fault: They did it to protect him. The false hope of instant cures and nonexistent vaccines is Trump’s fault, because he told those lies to cover up his failure to act in time. The severity of the economic crisis is Trump’s fault; things would have been less bad if he had acted faster instead of sending out his chief economic adviser and his son Eric to assure Americans that the first stock-market dips were buying opportunities. The firing of a Navy captain for speaking truthfully about the virus’s threat to his crew? Trump’s fault. The fact that so many key government jobs were either empty or filled by mediocrities? Trump’s fault. The insertion of Trump’s arrogant and incompetent son-in-law as commander in chief of the national medical supply chain? Trump’s fault.

For three years, Trump has blathered and bluffed and bullied his way through an office for which he is utterly inadequate. But sooner or later, every president must face a supreme test, a test that cannot be evaded by blather and bluff and bullying. That test has overwhelmed Trump.

Trump failed. He is failing. He will continue to fail. And Americans are paying for his failures.​

And that's just the opening...this is a long piece and well worth reading for all you news junkies who like to sample different sources.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Yes, I'm practising social distancing, as I do have respect for other people's feelings on this matter. You just don't blow smoke in people's faces -- "right" I'm not an inconsiderate person.

Well --2 3 months is very unrealistic, but in about a year, to a year and a half, this Virus will just be a memory -- hopefully. By accounts I'm reading numbers are levelling off, and coming down.

I do believe, some sort of "compromise" will have to be reached, to keep all parties satisfied, and safe-- and the economy intact. We'll see what happens.
I thought it was very unrealistic when you posted it and am glad you see your error.
Glad to see you are social distancing as well. Started after the nurse that worked with older people tool you to back off or was there another incident? Tell me you aren't that guy that I told to back off away from me yesterday...twice.
As far as Ronnie making the workers go back to work, much different situation than this.
It is great that the numbers seem to be levelling off in most places. Everyone wants to see this virus be beaten. I am having issues with my bloody computer right now and am unable to check today's numbers. Can anyone tell me how Louisiana is doing or did today? Not a good idea to have the Mardi Gras this year. Pretty f***ing stupid actually.
Nobody knows how this will all go but I imagine the curve would have to almost bottom out and then level off before most restrictions are lifted by much. (Pallister announced the cops will be enforcing the restrictions with fines like some other provinces are doing) Maybe 6 months or so after that we will have a vaccine. My guess anyway. They are also talking about a 2nd wave too.
Don't take Trump for his word. Some of the things he says is to protect his country and stop the stock markets from diving. He knew the country wasn't going to be back by Easter. I like what Trump has done as far as giving people money and helping the economy that way but after this news today about him being aware of the virus in November, if that is true, he is worse of a leader than even I thought.
Off topic but I know someone that applied for that $2000.00? from the Canadian government, and he said the money was in his accout 10 minutes after he hung up the phone. Nice to see Trudeau isn't dropping the ball on that as well.
By the way, I don't think people will forget this virus.
I've always had a great respect for nurses and doctors et al but I really can't say enough about those people. The government better take care of them after all this is over with some "combat pay" and don't cheap out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought it was very unrealistic when you posted it and am glad you see your error.
Glad to see you are social distancing as well. Started after the nurse that worked with older people tool you to back off or was there another incident? Tell me you aren't that guy that I told to back off away from me yesterday...twice.
As far as Ronnie making the workers go back to work, much different situation than this.
It is great that the numbers seem to be levelling off in most places. Everyone wants to see this virus be beaten. I am having issues with my bloody computer right now and am unable to check today's numbers. Can anyone tell me how Louisiana is doing or did today? Not a good idea to have the Mardi Gras this year. Pretty f***ing stupid actually.
Nobody knows how this will all go but I imagine the curve would have to almost bottom out and then level off before most restrictions are lifted by much. (Pallister announced the cops will be enforcing the restrictions with fines like some other provinces are doing) Maybe 6 months or so after that we will have a vaccine. My guess anyway. They are also talking about a 2nd wave too.

Don't take Trump for his word. Some of the things he says is to protect his country and stop the stock markets from diving. He knew the country wasn't going to be back by Easter. I like what Trump has done as far as giving people money and helping the economy that way but after this news today about him being aware of the virus in November, if that is true, he is worse of a leader than even I thought.
Off topic but I know someone that applied for that $2000.00? from the Canadian government, and he said the money was in his accout 10 minutes after he hung up the phone. Nice to see Trudeau isn't dropping the ball on that as well.
By the way, I don't think people will forget this virus.
I've always had a great respect for nurses and doctors et al but I really can't say enough about those people. The government better take care of them after all this is over with some "combat pay" and don't cheap out.

oh shit you said $2000 not $2 million so my post doesn’t apply but I will leave it hear in case anyone is wondering about how that $10 billion liquidity loan option was working that Trudeau annoyed early on:

My experience with the loan facility was significantly different. To be fair our series of companies is an incredibly complicated structure but the due diligence the BDC is doing on us is about as thorough as I have ever seen. We will be well over 1000 copied pages and 100 hours of work by our CFO. The money will probably be in are account in 8 weeks if things go smoothly.

I don’t blame the government for being picky we will have way less competitors when we reopen because they are saying no to any business that they don’t think will be able to repay the loan within 3 years. If your business was wobbling Pre COVID you are probably getting knocked out.

With that being said there will probably be more news that might help that can change the picture. Currently the Government has yet to address businesses that have been mandated to close and “the rent Dilemma”? Who will be accountable for rent when they are closed. Landlords want to get whole within the calendar year and tenants want a full abatement for the mandated closure time. Most businesses I know didn’t send rent cheques April 1st and the Mexican standoff is happening as we speak. Large commercial retail landlords are use to getting their way but with possible 25%-30% foreclosure projections on the horizon this could be a very tough stretch they are facing. Sadly if they get their way and tenants are forced to pay their vacancy rates will be much higher because it will crush many of their tenants and force them to hand in the keys. Win the battle and lose the war.

Tic Toc governments (provincial & federal) what’s the plan Stan?? Not an easy time to be trying to put a plan forth for the government either. This is unprecedented and incredibly complex.

Reactions: GNP

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I know it’s conspiracy theory, but somewhere deep down inside, I tend to wonder. This would sure be a great way to test how the population responds to being told what to do.

I actually happen to think that many conspiracy theories are probably true weirdly enough. I think we've been effectively programmed to think otherwise during the JFK assassination investigation (which was a conspiracy confirmed by the actual gunman on his deathbed).

I think the plan is to make society like the Chinese society is today. Social credits, no cash so money can always be tracked etc.

Also, once vaccinations are made mandatory, I will want to know exactly what is in them. Vaccines have been a great invention but its not like you can't abuse that system if you would want to, say, sterilize the population because you think you are saving the planet from overpopulation, or to introduce some kind of nanotechnology to keep everyone under control.

I hope this is just nonsense what I'm talking but I highly doubt that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypruss

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
4 days in a row that the US has seen lower numbers of new cases compared to the highest day so far. Not a big drop but it’s looking more positive than the alternative. Could be levelling off similar to what we’ve seen in Europe.
View attachment 341060
Mud I think you are confusing a countries ability to actually test and count to the actual number of cases. Most jurisdictions are still telling people with COVID symptoms to self isolate and they are never tested unless their symptoms become acute enough to hospitalize. Exceptions are health care workers and those traced back from a known case. This catches a lot, but it misses the majority of the unknown community spread. As somber as it sounds a much better way to track if a country is gaining control is to track death rates. World wide since the beginning of March the amount of deaths as a percentage of known cases has been growing steadily. So assuming the virus hasn't become more lethal over the last few weeks it would strongly suggest we (the world) is actually counting a shrinking percentage of actual cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad