Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don't blame people who are now just living they're lives normally

What we did wasn't sustainable and that was obvious from the start but instead of using the time we gained productively it was squandered and large sections of people aren't going to go accept that again

Lockdowns only worked because people were willing to comply with them, I'm not sure that's going to happen again

I see it everyday
The restaurant in Halton I work at was booming on tge weekend with 40-60 year olds

majority have moved on... it’s just a vocal minority on forums pleading for a lockdown

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You are in a country that hardly has any man. You go do that there. We can’t. I will comply with it. Don’t tell me what i will do

Shockingly enough I don't really care what you get up to but I am seeing a lot of you complaining about people no longer adhering to COVID policy

It would behoove you to think about why that is and ways of mitigating COVID that the public may be willing to buy into

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The twelve-step program is a joke and grossly out of date and ineffective. You'd think we'd have developed a better form of rehabilitation for the substance with the most addicts than this antiquated theist nonsense.

From Wiki:
  1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs

It's unbelievable that this ridiculous religious propaganda and manipulation is the basis of addiction recovery.

The very first line makes me want to punch someone. That's the exact opposite of what addicts need to hear.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's unbelievable that this ridiculous religious propaganda and manipulation is the basis of addiction recovery.

The irony is that it focuses on both accepting that you are powerless, while also expecting you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Just a wee bit contradictory.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Shockingly enough I don't really care what you get up to but I am seeing a lot of you complaining about people no longer adhering to COVID policy

It would behoove you to think about why that is and ways of mitigating COVID that the public may be willing to buy into
What did they do there..... They shut it down and busted you if you were so inclined to thumb your nose at a National security risk and think you’ll carry on with what you are doing normally. Thats what they will do here to and are already.
Your own self distinguished entitlement doesn’t trump the health of your country or region. So stop telling people it does. I just to,d you i will be a good citizen and do my part. Something wrong with that for you. Must be because thats the same message you keep harping about and financially and economy. We know the effects it has on our economy and jobs and business. We aren’t coming out swinging because its a bit a inconvenience in a historical time in history. We buckle down and dig in for whats at hand isbthe way we are as a Country. Don’t doubt us.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Says the person who advocates spreading the virus, and doing it happily.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

The very first line makes me want to punch someone. That's the exact opposite of what addicts need to hear.
The resources are simply not made available to get any other help. That said, it’s a bunch of people that have each others back and are always available for each other no matter if thats 3am. Incredible bunch of people that pull for one another is really the foundation of it.
Thats all they have but it works. There are some really influential, intelligent and smart,successful people from all walks of life in that program. I’m not sure how much advocacy they do for mental health. I think i will ask how much emphasis they have on that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sacrifice finance? How do you think governments pay for this stuff?

Resources aren't unlimited
When you have a life and death issue it should supersede all other gov departments ... contact tracing is critical to help stop da spread and it must be TIMELY ... maybe sacrifice finance last but businesses have to adopt or DIE and so should governments ... we can't have da 25 year union civil servant mindset

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I mean....time will tell. We've had hundreds of thousands of years of exactly that strategy. Luckily for you and others your strategy is the one in place. If it fails (and not because of non-compliance) the blood is on your hands.
How did you get to that answer from what he said. French fry short of a happy meal I’m thinkin man

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
When you have a life and death issue it should supersede all other gov departments ... contact tracing is critical to help stop da spread and it must be TIMELY ... maybe sacrifice finance last but businesses have to adopt or DIE and so should governments ... we can't have da 25 year union civil servant mindset
Whats a 25 year union civil servant mindset?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What did they do there..... They shut it down and busted you if you were so inclined to thumb your nose at a National security risk and think you’ll carry on with what you are doing normally. Thats what they will do here to and are already.
Your own self distinguished entitlement doesn’t trump the health of your country or region. So stop telling people it does. I just to,d you i will be a good citizen and do my part. Something wrong with that for you. Must be because thats the same message you keep harping about and financially and economy. We know the effects it has on our economy and jobs and business. We aren’t coming out swinging because its a bit a inconvenience in a historical time in history. We buckle down and dig in for whats at hand isbthe way we are as a Country. Don’t doubt us.

Us? You may want to check but I think"us" is a little more fractured now days

Somebody should talk about the financials, things don't tend to go well when you run out of money

It's called controlled avalanche and we do this because only the developmentally challenged think doing the same thing over and over again is either a)sustainable or b)effective medium to long term

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Honest question, as I believe any issue is multi faceted. If we should "trust the science" (which I agree with in a holistic approach. I.e. the interconnectivity of all sciences), shouldn't we also listen to the experts in the fields of addiction/mental health/psychology/social workers etc. etc. who are anti lockdowns (which also includes the WHO?).

Or does trusting the science only apply to virologists/epedimiologists? I personally believe science as the word describes is just "knowledge". We should incorporate all knowledge and make the best decision for the greatest number (which seems like a democratic approach). So I can understand people who are anti changing the face of society for 1% (no not that 1%). The same people who are bleeding hearts for some, are completely ignoring the deaths of a great many others. Seems like wilful ignorance, which is ironically the term they use to try and silence opponents.

I'm actually very against lockdowns. Necessary in March, but it should never have come it now, and IMO wouldn't have if people paid more attention to the non-lockdown measures.

As to not changing the face of society for the 1%... losing .5% of people 40-50, 1% 50-60, and 2% 60-70 (assuming you could keep those that are 70+ completely safe and those under 40 were immune from negative impacts (neither are true/ likely) with a significantly higher % hospitalized, would break the back of both our healthcare system and our society.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He definitely does too. Patronizing me because i care about maintaining a functional healthcare system that isn’t overwhelmed and causing stress and anxiety to the good people that so selflessly go to work every day to help. I say help them,he says, worry about dept and economy. Ffs bewildering

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I don't even know how you could contact trace in Canada now

You have a large population
The virus is heavily seeded in the population already
You need massive amounts of trucks crossing the boarder to function
COVID tests aren't 100% effective

Maybe you could of done this in early March when COVID was kicking off but now? That looks rough

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm actually very against lockdowns. Necessary in March, but it should never have come it now, and IMO wouldn't have if people paid more attention to the non-lockdown measures.

As to not changing the face of society for the 1%... losing .5% of people 40-50, 1% 50-60, and 2% 60-70 (assuming you could keep those that are 70+ completely safe and those under 40 were immune from negative impacts (neither are true/ likely) with a significantly higher % hospitalized, would break the back of both our healthcare system and our society.
The measures were almost non existent for months before the comeback of this crap virus. People were allowed to become complacent to a large degree and the measures were reactive not preemptive. Politics were priority over making calls on health and safety too.
Yes, it definitely could have been avoided. It still can be avoided with a quick burst of fight back with a quick lockdown. Just people make sure they are buying local and keeping business viable would be a great thing to actually be expressed. Doesn’t do much for my stock in online services but it doesn’t matter. People will still order food on line from the outfits i purchased stock in. Curbside should be allowed for restaurants. Hell opening a shopping service to make pickups and deliveries to people that don’t want to go out is viable etc.
I think we need a quick shutty maybe three weeks. Then the numbers would drop.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Maybe you could of done this in early March when COVID was kicking off but now? That looks rough
We just ask at the general store or the warf or at the fur trading post. We aren’t that big. We have a contact tracing app man. We did do it in march fyi

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Us? You may want to check but I think"us" is a little more fractured now days

Somebody should talk about the financials, things don't tend to go well when you run out of money

It's called controlled avalanche and we do this because only the developmentally challenged think doing the same thing over and over again is either a)sustainable or b)effective medium to long term
They would shut it down again and charge you if you are non compliant. What are you going to do about it. There has to be rules and there has to be respect and their has to be awareness and there has to be sacrifices some times. Not all about you or me personally bro. Just sayin

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Oh are they like that in there. It’s why i asked, I don’t know. I work the trades union. We aren’t like that. We bust our hump to help each other
I don't really know either but i do know we all need to pull together and eliminating contact tracing because we don't have the labour to do it p*sses me off ... Ford needs better people in there who can figure this stuff out ... there is enough people who work for Ontario to get da job done

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We just ask at the general store or the warf or at the fur trading post. We aren’t that big. We have a contact tracing app man. We did do it in march fyi

Around 38 million people, that's pretty big

A lot of people will not put that app on they're phone, understandably

That was 8 months ago, over time people will become less compliant

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't really know either but i do know we all need to pull together and eliminating contact tracing because we don't have the labour to do it p*sses me off ... Ford needs better people in there who can figure this stuff out ... there is enough people who work for Ontario to get da job done
We have to be better as a country and national standards need to be implemented maybe. They sat idly through the months of nice quiet numbers and drew up no plan for the second wave. That is shocking.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

You may be right I am not scientific enough to know da answer or even attempt it but what I don't want to hear is Ford say it has gotten too big in terms of da caseload and we can't continue to effective contact trace as we don't have da personnel ... so they abandoned it ... losers lose ... i know this is very simplistic but it burns me up ... same line of thinking regarding hospitals and resources ... we are paying a boatload in taxes here in Ontario and we deserve much better than when someone tells you your mom can't go to one of better stroke hospitals because it is full of COVID and it is over capacity ... why? it is p*ss poor decision making

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't blame people who are now just living they're lives normally

What we did wasn't sustainable and that was obvious from the start but instead of using the time we gained productively it was squandered and large sections of people aren't going to go accept that again

Lockdowns only worked because people were willing to comply with them, I'm not sure that's going to happen again
Another lockdown is literally the last thing I want to see. In general, I don't think people are saying lets lock it down....but it is more a sense of this is serious and acts responsibly. The thing is I think those who are doing their parts will continue to do them regardless of lockdown or not, but those who are not is a toss up. Having lockdown will certainly help getting a proper and effective tracking system in place. To me, at least in BC, there are steps the govt can implement before the lockdown, such as shutting down schools(only open for students whom parents cannot skip work-like they did back in March), or issuing harsher fines for private gatherings-not that hard to do since if there are 5 cars on the driveway of a house-thats a pretty clear indication a private gathering might be taking place. Stop all group recreation activities like sports competition and training till the numbers are more manageable. Limiting the numbers of people in stores or banks like during the lockdown. As for restaurants, keep what they are doing now.
AS for people living normally, the current World is not normal. You can act like it is normal until someone close to you get COVID or you can do your part like wearing a mask, wash hands, try to avoid unnecessary social gatherings, bc a lot of people are currently paying for consequences of people who think this COVID is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad