Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I bought vitamin D tablets for the first time this fall/winter. Hopefully I don't get sick. :crossfing
don't take to many, true you get more vitamin D in the summer but I believe your body stores vitamin D for lean times like the winter. Vitamin D can be stored in your body unlike some others that can't so you need a regular intake.

Reactions: Korg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Don't shoot the messenger, please. It's the article linked within that is interesting.

This is an incorrect way to analyze data. I have the same problem with this analysis that I have with corsi folks

"CONTEXT MATTERS"

CONTEXT
England had strict measures to keep overburdening of hospitals in check. If they really want to see the impact of covid on hospitalizations then they have to open everything up; let everybody get covid and see how many people now end up going to hospital because of covid

Just FYI

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I bought vitamin D tablets for the first time this fall/winter. Hopefully I don't get sick. :crossfing
Yep, I take mine all year round. 5000 IU's daily. If I miss a day (or 2), I will double (or triple) up my dose to catch up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Who's been telling you what? I don't even understand your point.

Wearing a mask reduces the amount of germs you spread around, so wearing one in a pandemic is a good idea. There's no super special secret science things at play here.
Like I said earlier, I really don’t understand what’s the big deal in wearing a mask?
It is like the debate of putting net behind the goalie and faceoff circles in Hockey rink in order to prevent pucks hitting fans. What’s the big deal?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
don't take to many, true you get more vitamin D in the summer but I believe your body stores vitamin D for lean times like the winter. Vitamin D can be stored in your body unlike some others that can't so you need a regular intake.
There are some misconceptions about how much is too much. Here are some studies with high dosing and no side effects. It's actually exceedingly rare to actually take too much, but it can happen.

This study shows that Vitamin D3 is very effective against Covid (60,000 IU's for 7 days).
Short term, high-dose vitamin D supplementation for COVID-19 disease: a randomised, placebo-controlled, study (SHADE study)

"10 (62.5%) participants in the intervention group and 5 (20.8%) participants in the control arm (p<0.018) became SARS-CoV-2 RNA negative. Fibrinogen levels significantly decreased with cholecalciferol supplementation (intergroup difference 0.70 ng/ml; P=0.007) unlike other inflammatory biomarkers."

This study is about Vitamin D3 and it's effect on psoriasis(dosing levels).
Daily oral dosing of vitamin D3 using 5000 TO 50,000 international units a day in long-term hospitalized patients: Insights from a seven year experience - PubMed

"In summary, long-term supplementation with vitamin D3 in doses ranging from 5000 to 50,000 IUs/day appears to be safe."

On a personal note, I'm at the very bottom of this range (5,000 IU's daily).

This is for critically ill people with extremely low D3 levels.
Short-term effects of high-dose oral vitamin D3 in critically ill vitamin D deficient patients: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study - PubMed

"This pilot study shows that a single oral ultra-high dose of cholecalciferol (540,000 IU) corrects vitamin D deficiency within 2 days in most patients without causing adverse effects like hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria."

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
too much can be bad.
See the studies I linked. It's nearly impossible to take too much. I am at the bottom of the suggested range, but you can test for your levels if you are worried about getting/taking too much.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There are some misconceptions about how much is too much. Here are some studies with high dosing and no side effects. It's actually exceedingly rare to actually take too much, but it can happen.

This study shows that Vitamin D3 is very effective against Covid (60,000 IU's for 7 days).
Short term, high-dose vitamin D supplementation for COVID-19 disease: a randomised, placebo-controlled, study (SHADE study)

"10 (62.5%) participants in the intervention group and 5 (20.8%) participants in the control arm (p<0.018) became SARS-CoV-2 RNA negative. Fibrinogen levels significantly decreased with cholecalciferol supplementation (intergroup difference 0.70 ng/ml; P=0.007) unlike other inflammatory biomarkers."

This study is about Vitamin D3 and it's effect on psoriasis(dosing levels).
Daily oral dosing of vitamin D3 using 5000 TO 50,000 international units a day in long-term hospitalized patients: Insights from a seven year experience - PubMed

"In summary, long-term supplementation with vitamin D3 in doses ranging from 5000 to 50,000 IUs/day appears to be safe."

On a personal note, I'm at the very bottom of this range (5,000 IU's daily).

This is for critically ill people with extremely low D3 levels.
Short-term effects of high-dose oral vitamin D3 in critically ill vitamin D deficient patients: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study - PubMed

"This pilot study shows that a single oral ultra-high dose of cholecalciferol (540,000 IU) corrects vitamin D deficiency within 2 days in most patients without causing adverse effects like hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria."

Do you (or anyone) know what the equivalent of 1000 IUs is in direct sunlight?

Nice to see it helps psoriasis, which I have, though it hasn't flared up in a couple years.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
wow I had no idea a person could take that much.
I was shocked too, believe me. I guess the message is, if you are deficient, it is critical to get those numbers up as fast as possible to shield you from more illness.

For me, the safest thing to do is supplement, but test for your levels and stay where you personally feel comfortable.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Do you (or anyone) know what the equivalent of 1000 IUs is in direct sunlight?

Nice to see it helps psoriasis, which I have, though it hasn't flared up in a couple years.
I believe one of the studies makes mention of 25,000 IU's created by a day in the sun. But here is the paradox....if you use high SPF sunscreen when you are outside, your body can't generate significant amounts of Vitamin D3 because the UV rays required to activate this process are significantly blocked. It's why I dose all year round.

Reactions: Korg

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yes but who cares out of 15,000 people who got vaccine (and over 10,000 over aged 70) not 1 SINGLE death ... ZERO ... out of placebo group of 15,000 there was same average death rate as general population ... bottom line severe complications were 1 CASE out of 15,000 and NO DEATHS ... dude this is a MASSIVE Gordie HAT trick baby

In my world vaccines prevent you from getting a disease....not lessen symptoms. For crying out loud 99% of people who get it under 60 hardly have any symptoms already...are you aware of those supposed zombies who are walking around transmitting it?

They are going to give the moderna vaccine out to people but I would prefer the South African company's product...it doesn't need -70C and its done the old fashion way....and they don't monkey with the numbers either...they have a normal success rate of around 70%...which BTW is great. So when you see this 90-95% success rate and its not even PREVENTING infection...

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Agreed. That is better. But mostly it should be capacity based, not case based.

The medical term for Case means that someone has symptoms of it...not just testing positive..you have to exhibit symptoms of some sort to be a real case...these "cases" we have are not true cases....we keep talking about trust the science..but when you hit people with real science they bury their heads in the sand...I am not talking about you KB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad