OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
IFAIC this virus will spread over the world once over a timeline of couple of years and who dies dies, who lives lives. Pension funds might rejoice though.

No amount of disinfection will change that ... on the contrary actually! All this disinfecting might just lead to an even more ridiculous multi-resistant mutation.
Perfect example of the irony of human life, or idiocracy if you please.

I can only agree that the biggest danger is for supply-chains and the economy in general.

The mainstream media should be shut down immediately, they are the biggest culprits so far with the CPC in this mess.

Reactions: NCRanger

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hopefully they will close down schools. Poland are closing their schools from monday on, after just 25 infected, and Ukraine is closing them down with just 1 infected. It is a bit problematic with the smaller children as parents have to stay home with them, but it is less worse then having a whole school getting infected and then spreading it to their parents.

So this is an interesting conundrum people must weigh. People want hospitals to be staffed, well 25-30% of nurses nationwide have kids who are in school. That doesn't say anything about doctors. Take kids out of schools and those people must then work or be at home, shrinking the available medical workforce.

This is yet another trickle down effect people aren't totally grasping as a repercussion of this thing spreading. It's again not about the mortality rate, it's handling the bigger issues that arise.

Reactions: romba and NCRanger

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If each Flu season they had interactive maps covering the community spread of each individual case, the way they have with COVID 19 the public’s reaction would be mass hysteria.

A friend recently asked if I was concerned about the Coronavirus and I said I’m not too concerned about the virus itself - what I’m concerned about is people.

When people begin to panic and get desperate bad things happen, far worse than anything this particular virus can deliver on a world level.

The media is undoing civil rest as we speak. It’s not one media outlet that is responsible. It’s the sheer number of outlets reporting on the subject that is the issue. Contradicting information, each source is the “expert”. This isn’t about “fake news”. This is about an endless supply of worry followed by reports of “everything’s fine”.

We as a society have built this media information mess and we need to think long and hard about the social ramifications of such a dangerous addiction moving into the future. It’s like the media is one large subconscious of the human race and we are beginning to out-think ourselves.

We are actually very lucky this virus isn’t worse and we should take this time to fully understand how to prepare ourselves properly for the next pandemic that could be much more devastating.

People need to chill out and stop watching and reading the news. Take everything with a grain. Find facts.

Hopefully we and our children learn a lot from this experience and take that knowledge into future and apply it correctly
We won’t learn and it isn’t group think... it’s greed.
Breaking News graphics and wipes get viewers no matter how benign or factual.

No one will learn because it all about $ and greed w humans.

Always has been and always will.

During times of stress, grief and Hysteria the powers that be realize “It’s a great time to make a profit!”

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
2) Don't go to the hospital unless you require intensive care. People who actually have it need the resources and if you don't have it you'll f***in get it at the hospital. Over-hospitalization has caused the blow up in Italy. My friend who works in adminstration told me that people running to the ER for a stuffy nose is the absolute worst reaction to this virus.
AGREED! If you feel sick please just stay home and away from others and ride it out. For most of us it will be nothing more than a cold, flu, or even less. The hospital should not waste time on sniffles or a sore throat for piece of mind testing, there's nothing to be done at that point anyway even if it comes back positive.

Stay safe.
Stay SANE.

Taking my almost 6 year old hockey obsessed son to his first Rangers game on Monday against the Flames, forget autographs or getting any pucks- hopefully the fans are allowed to attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasusBelli

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
So this is an interesting conundrum people must weigh. People want hospitals to be staffed, well 25-30% of nurses nationwide have kids who are in school. That doesn't say anything about doctors. Take kids out of schools and those people must then work or be at home, shrinking the available medical workforce.

This is yet another trickle down effect people aren't totally grasping as a repercussion of this thing spreading. It's again not about the mortality rate, it's handling the bigger issues that arise.
lmao it's a 'minor problem' until it affects more than just the loser parents who are just told to suck it up and figure it out, then it becomes a real concern.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
IFAIC this virus will spread over the world once over a timeline of couple of years and who dies dies, who lives lives. Pension funds might rejoice though.

No amount of disinfection will change that ... on the contrary actually! All this disinfecting might just lead to an even more ridiculous multi-resistant mutation.
Perfect example of the irony of human life, or idiocracy if you please.

I can only agree that the biggest danger is for supply-chains and the economy in general.

The mainstream media should be shut down immediately, they are the biggest culprits so far with the CPC in this mess.
We want to limit the peak of infections so as not to overwhelm the Health system. Once the health system is overwhelmed it can get really bad for anyone who requires healthcare, not only Covid ppl, like what's happening in Italy.

1) Practice good hygiene to prevent getting sick. Even if you only delay it, it helps with keeping the Healthcare system functioning smoothly.

2)Stay home if you feel sick. limiting the amount of ppl you actively spread it to also helps with keeping the healthcare system stable. The folks might end up getting it at a later point but staggering infections is worthwhile in and of itself.

Agree with the media capitalizing for monetary and potentially political (same thing?) reasons as well. Cut the Corona hype train already.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
AGREED! If you feel sick please just stay home and away from others and ride it out. For most of us it will be nothing more than a cold, flu, or even less. The hospital should not waste time on sniffles or a sore throat for piece of mind testing, there's nothing to be done at that point anyway even if it comes back positive.

Stay safe.
Stay SANE.

Taking my almost 6 year old hockey obsessed son to his first Rangers game on Monday against the Flames, forget autographs or getting any pucks- hopefully the fans are allowed to attend.

I am taking my 9 year old to her first game on Monday as well, was originally going to take her to the MET, a couple of other places and dinner and make a day of it, but I think we'll just wind up going to MSG and thats it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Liverpool will likely clinch the Premier League March 21st potentially in front of no fans :(

I get why they're being cautious, but it would be silly to do that simply because the entire city is going to take to the streets anyway :dunno:

On an unrelated note:

1) Wash ya hands.

2) Don't go to the hospital unless you require intensive care. People who actually have it need the resources and if you don't have it you'll f***in get it at the hospital. Over-hospitalization has caused the blow up in Italy. My friend who works in adminstration told me that people running to the ER for a stuffy nose is the absolute worst reaction to this virus.
You're completely right about over hospitalization and stuff like that leading to more problems.

My wife works in a major hospital here on Long Island and she said aside from a trauma bay in the ER for actual emergencies, that they're not letting anyone in except for employees and people with appointments/current patients. It's not open to the public anymore and everyone who is allowed in is being examined for COVID-19 before being allowed in. It's important not to have people who may have it or may have unknowingly been exposed coming into the hospital to visit or for minor issues, which was going on as recently as yesterday.

We want to limit the peak of infections so as not to overwhelm the Health system. Once the health system is overwhelmed it can get really bad for anyone who requires healthcare, not only Covid ppl, like what's happening in Italy.

1) Practice good hygiene to prevent getting sick. Even if you only delay it, it helps with keeping the Healthcare system functioning smoothly.

2)Stay home if you feel sick. limiting the amount of ppl you actively spread it to also helps with keeping the healthcare system stable. The folks might end up getting it at a later point but staggering infections is worthwhile in and of itself.

Spot on here.

People not being responsible with their hygiene and not staying home when they feel sick and exposing other people to it is a big issue.

As someone said earlier, there's a middle ground between mass hysteria and people thinking it's not a big deal and ignoring it. Be smart, be careful. Take it seriously but don't panic.

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Have you guys been going about your lives as usual or taking any extra precautions? A few people on my hockey team are "sick", two of whom just got back from vacations. Yet they still came to hockey anyway. :facepalm: Do you think I should stop going or continue going?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Have you guys been going about your lives as usual or taking any extra precautions? A few people on my hockey team are "sick", two of whom just got back from vacations. Yet they still came to hockey anyway. :facepalm: Do you think I should stop going or continue going?

If it were me, I would not go. I'm regretting my decision to go to the Atlanta United Game on Saturday night. I'm not personally worried about the virus, it is transmitting it to my parents/in-laws/etc. that worries me.

I'm absolutely taking extra precautions, I think that is the sane thing to do. I think people who are going overboard are as foolish as those who are completely dismissing it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If it were me, I would not go. I'm regretting my decision to go to the Atlanta United Game on Saturday night. I'm not personally worried about the virus, it is transmitting it to my parents/in-laws/etc. that worries me.

I'm absolutely taking extra precautions, I think that is the sane thing to do. I think people who are going overboard are as foolish as those who are completely dismissing it.

What is really pissing me off is we have a Disney trip planned in 3 weeks, who knows what it will be like then and if flights and/or the park will even be open. But it is literally throwing hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars in reservations, flights, clothing, misc items for the trip down the toilet.

Most disappointing is im going to have to tell my kids (5 & 9, the 5 year old has never gone and is she is so excited to see) that we arent going after planning this trip for 2 years and surprising them on Christmas with their magic bands.

There are much worse things to have to deal with in life, for sure. But man does this suck

Reactions: Riche16

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
So it may have come to your attention that I have been licking subway poles.

Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started riding the subway that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've ridden a lot of trains, and I tell you, people do that all the time.

OldfashionedOpenBoto-size_restricted.gif

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015

I don't know how anyone can feel confident that they know how the coronavirus is going play out in the US. There is such a range of expectations from some very smart people.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What is really pissing me off is we have a Disney trip planned in 3 weeks, who knows what it will be like then and if flights and/or the park will even be open. But it is literally throwing hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars in reservations, flights, clothing, misc items for the trip down the toilet.

Most disappointing is im going to have to tell my kids (5 & 9, the 5 year old has never gone and is she is so excited to see) that we arent going after planning this trip for 2 years and surprising them on Christmas with their magic bands.

There are much worse things to have to deal with in life, for sure. But man does this suck

I would be VERY surprised to hear Disney won't work with you on this. They are literally like #1 in customer satisfaction in the universe.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I would be VERY surprised to hear Disney won't work with you on this. They are literally like #1 in customer satisfaction in the universe.

Im sure our tickets will be able to be transferred to another set of dates if they close. Not too worried about that. But between the flights, rental car, hotel and other stuff - I'm expecting to have to eat a lot unfortunately.

And its compounded because you know once we get through all of this, hopefully within a few short months - we'll be booking shit all over again. So this trip is going to cost us almost double.

Not to mention all of the goddamn planning that goes into this type of trip. We had a lot of special things set up for the kids, including meeting up with their cousins under the castle who they have no idea are coming half-way through the trip. I'm really more pissed about the kids being disappointed than anything else.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Im sure our tickets will be able to be transferred to another set of dates if they close. Not too worried about that. But between the flights, rental car, hotel and other stuff - I'm expecting to have to eat a lot unfortunately.

And its compounded because you know once we get through all of this, hopefully within a few short months - we'll be booking shit all over again. So this trip is going to cost us almost double.

Not to mention all of the goddamn planning that goes into this type of trip. We had a lot of special things set up for the kids, including meeting up with their cousins under the castle who they have no idea are coming half-way through the trip. I'm really more pissed about the kids being disappointed than anything else.

Ugh sorry man. I know Disney is super exciting for the kids. I think if you call and explain the situation to most people they will give you a refund or vouchers for future use so the next time you go it will cover that future trip. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney step up and offer to give you something extra for when you come back.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

My season just ended last week (thankfully) and we don't play again until mid-April. As you know hockey rinks and locker rooms are literally some of the most disgusting and unsanitary places on Earth.

During the last playoff game there was some white looking liquid (vomit? milk? alien blood?) on the floor of the bench and dasher where the waters are kept. Literally right in the middle of the bench separating the D from the forwards.

Safe to say no one was jumping over the boards in that spot, but occasionally we were forced to walk through it. Nasty.

Im actually withholding my half season payment to the second team I play with until we see how far this whole thing goes.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I got passes for Disneyland for Christmas as well, they're good for the year and I talked to them the other day and they said they'd extend it for another year

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have tickets to the Charlotte Symphony this weekend to watch them play the score for Empire Strike Back while the movie plays on a big screen.

I don't think it'll be postponed, but with Fauci saying "don't go to large gatherings" you never know what will happen with people being overly cautious. We don't have any active cases in Charlotte yet, though there are some in Raleigh and the state is under state of emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad