OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Liverpool will likely clinch the Premier League March 21st potentially in front of no fans :(

I get why they're being cautious, but it would be silly to do that simply because the entire city is going to take to the streets anyway :dunno:

On an unrelated note:

1) Wash ya hands.

2) Don't go to the hospital unless you require intensive care. People who actually have it need the resources and if you don't have it you'll f***in get it at the hospital. Over-hospitalization has caused the blow up in Italy. My friend who works in adminstration told me that people running to the ER for a stuffy nose is the absolute worst reaction to this virus.

Reactions: romba and NCRanger

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If each Flu season they had interactive maps covering the community spread of each individual case, the way they have with COVID 19 the public’s reaction would be mass hysteria.

A friend recently asked if I was concerned about the Coronavirus and I said I’m not too concerned about the virus itself - what I’m concerned about is people.

When people begin to panic and get desperate bad things happen, far worse than anything this particular virus can deliver on a world level.

The media is undoing civil rest as we speak. It’s not one media outlet that is responsible. It’s the sheer number of outlets reporting on the subject that is the issue. Contradicting information, each source is the “expert”. This isn’t about “fake news”. This is about an endless supply of worry followed by reports of “everything’s fine”.

We as a society have built this media information mess and we need to think long and hard about the social ramifications of such a dangerous addiction moving into the future. It’s like the media is one large subconscious of the human race and we are beginning to out-think ourselves.

We are actually very lucky this virus isn’t worse and we should take this time to fully understand how to prepare ourselves properly for the next pandemic that could be much more devastating.

People need to chill out and stop watching and reading the news. Take everything with a grain. Find facts.

Hopefully we and our children learn a lot from this experience and take that knowledge into future and apply it correctly

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I'm an older fella and have lots of inflammation. COPD and Psoriatic Arthritis are both inflammatory conditions. Plus I am overweight which is also inflammatory. But I fear not with this new virus. I have had maybe 2 or 3 colds in the last 7 years. And they were fairly mild to what I used to experience. Colds would be frequent and hang around for a month when I was younger. The difference,... Vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Give your body what it needs to protect itself, especially if you are older. Cause you are most likely in need of essential nutrients.

The Importance Of Nutrients To An Aging Population And Beat Back Corona Or Any Virus

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The media is undoing civil rest as we speak.
It's hard not to take this seriously. When the Whitehouse is having daily briefings on the matter. And you know they would like nothing better, to not address this.

That said, we have enough facts that this virus is quite a serious risk to the elderly. So Moms, Dads, Aunts, Uncles, Grandpas, Professors, Generals, Presidents, are all at risk.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Can we post memes?

1b6e82e0106fda2daaed569634e468102ce13fe0.jpeg
Hot take:. Corona beer may be worse than Corona virus.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Here in Norway they delayed the hockey play-offs on undecided time. Last weekend they closed the arena/goal line for the 50k cross country skiing race, but the forest where still filled with drunk people (guess Norway is the only place with ski-hooligans). Today the government said they have lost control over the infection-chain, and transmition are happening on public transport etc. now.

I believe we are one of the worst infected countries when it comes to % of population inflicted, all because people being on vacation in Italy have not followed the advice of self-quarantine. I guess it will be some ugly weeks from now on. Time to stock up on some food etc.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Here in Norway they delayed the hockey play-offs on undecided time. Last weekend they closed the arena/goal line for the 50k cross country skiing race, but the forest where still filled with drunk people (guess Norway is the only place with ski-hooligans). Today the government said they have lost control over the infection-chain, and transmition are happening on public transport etc. now.

I believe we are one of the worst infected countries when it comes to % of population inflicted, all because people being on vacation in Italy have not followed the advice of self-quarantine. I guess it will be some ugly weeks from now on. Time to stock up on some food etc.

Here in Austria (and Germany) they flat out canceled the remainder of the season. No champion announced, and the Vienna Capitals are the 3rd team to clinch a CHL ticket as the runner up in the reg season

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Well if one thing I've noticed from this is guys are washing their hands now

Imagine if all of the slobs of the world did this normally? We'd probably rarely see people passing shit around at work places.

I had a nightmare last night that we were up 3-1 in the Eastern Conference Finals and then before Game 5 they announced the season would be cancelled.. and then society collapsed and it became A Quiet Place

This is so Rangers I would not even be surprised at all.

My company came out with a policy yesterday that said if you travel to any country that's considered to be a level 3 by the CDC you are to take a mandatory 14 days off that you will be paid for. This is the kind of emergency preparedness policy that EVERY employer should have and it should be government mandated, and supported year round for any outbreaks. It should also apply to infected cruise ships if you were recently on one since that seems to be where a majority of the people outside of China are getting this shit.

The reason no one self-quarantined immediately was because they had no reason to, and couldn't afford it. No one was taking this seriously when Wuhan went into full lock-down and people who probably have little to no PTO/Sick time to begin with weren't going to waste it on "it's just a flu bro." People come to work sick every year. I don't want to go on a rant here about how ridiculous American work standards are for this kind of stuff, but if we had more sensible policies people wouldn't be so reluctant to take off when they are sick, no matter how mild, and screw the rest of us. I understand people abuse sick time occasionally, but it's worth it still in my opinion.

As it stands now people who have it and aren't feeling particularly ill are still going to come to work knowing they could make someone else seriously ill.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I was watching CNBC this morning. They were interviewing Mark Levine who is a NYC councilman concerning the Coronavirus in NYC. He said the city will be issuing an advisory in the near future for people to avoid large public gatherings. The Rangers have 5 home games remaining. No fans at the games?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
These are NOT my words, but are from someone I know works in medicine. I found his thoughts interesting:

Coronavirus is not a new virus. There are several strains in circulation every year. This is a new strain. Like other cold viruses, it mutates, so nobody ever has full immunity. Thats why flu vaccines have low effectiveness. Thats why people get the flu and colds repeatedly through their lifetimes.

correct me if I am wrong but this is the first known Coronavirus which affects humans.

meanwhile, we know what the flu is right? Nevermind the strain, We can give you tamiflu, take your mucinex and if any infection occurs in the lungs we give you an antibiotic.

For this Coronavirus, we don’t have anything right now. If it mutates 5 steps to the right or left, maybe no big deal. Maybe it mutates 6 steps and you expire within 12 hours. We don’t know.

I’m not panicked but I do have a heightened awareness like everybody else.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Here in Austria (and Germany) they flat out canceled the remainder of the season. No champion announced, and the Vienna Capitals are the 3rd team to clinch a CHL ticket as the runner up in the reg season

The play-off for the Norwegian Get-Ligaen just canceled. It is the correct decicion imo. We do not have divisions or conferences, so a fair winner just from the league play is possible.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
At sold-out MSG tonight.
Nice knowin' youse guys

btw great 4 hour show
Here is the HFB style review:
"the #%×&* didn't even play Stormy Monday, You Dont Love Me, or Ramblin Man. Jaimoe is 75, can't move like he used to, force him into retirement! That drummer was the guitarist's brother?! Nepotism! According to advanced stats, the only guy who had a decent night was the Conga player. While they still can, they should package Derek, Warren and Oteil, if lucky they could get Bonamassa, a chick singer and a tenor sax player"

Everyone who was there loved it though

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

correct me if I am wrong but this is the first known Coronavirus which affects humans.

meanwhile, we know what the flu is right? Nevermind the strain, We can give you tamiflu, take your mucinex and if any infection occurs in the lungs we give you an antibiotic.

For this Coronavirus, we don’t have anything right now. If it mutates 5 steps to the right or left, maybe no big deal. Maybe it mutates 6 steps and you expire within 12 hours. We don’t know.

I’m not panicked but I do have a heightened awareness like everybody else.

No, there are other coronaviruses that have affected people. SARS/MERS were variants with high fatality rates, but there are also less severe varieties that humans typically encounter. Two varieties are responsible for common colds in humans.

It's a novel coronavirus as humans haven't had exposure to this specific one, not the type as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The big deal here isn't how lethal it is...it's how lethal it isn't. It's not lethal enough to kill most people it touches or even make them outwordly sick. So you have all these silent carriers walking around not even knowing they are infected. Then they give it to an orderly at a nursing home and Bam.. you've got 50 dead people.

That's the danger here.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Joe Rogan has a podcast up with Michael Osterholm from 3/10. Give it a listen if you're interested.

I think the danger here is less so about the number of people who will die (which will more than likely be significant), as the strain on the medical infrastructure which could crumble like we are seeing in Italy. That's a very real issue. The idea is to slow the spread so there isn't a massive slug of sick people trying to hit the medical system.

I was speaking with a friend of mine in the medical industry and his company helps make a multitude of supplies for hospitals. They are one of the larger providers nationwide and he flat out said that if demand rises they do not have the capacity currently to increase production and that assumes they are able to stay at current capacity. Much of the process is automated but if their supplies dwindle or slow or if a piece of equipment goes down and they can't get a tech out quickly to service or repair it, etc it will slow even more.

This is where all of our systems are going to take a hit. I work in the food and beverage industry and I can tell you, if the plants that make all of our food need to shut down or slow for any reason for a while we will see shortages on the shelves pretty quickly.

I think people, especially the media are trying to point to the projected mortality figures as a means to make people take this seriously. I'm FAR more concerned with issues that stem from things like the above than the sickness itself.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Joe Rogan has a podcast up with Michael Osterholm from 3/10. Give it a listen if you're interested.

I think the danger here is less so about the number of people who will die (which will more than likely be significant), as the strain on the medical infrastructure which could crumble like we are seeing in Italy. That's a very real issue. The idea is to slow the spread so there isn't a massive slug of sick people trying to hit the medical system.

I was speaking with a friend of mine in the medical industry and his company helps make a multitude of supplies for hospitals. They are one of the larger providers nationwide and he flat out said that if demand rises they do not have the capacity currently to increase production and that assumes they are able to stay at current capacity. Much of the process is automated but if their supplies dwindle or slow or if a piece of equipment goes down and they can't get a tech out quickly to service or repair it, etc it will slow even more.

This is where all of our systems are going to take a hit. I work in the food and beverage industry and I can tell you, if the plants that make all of our food need to shut down or slow for any reason for a while we will see shortages on the shelves pretty quickly.

I think people, especially the media are trying to point to the projected mortality figures as a means to make people take this seriously. I'm FAR more concerned with issues that stem from things like the above than the sickness itself.

Yes, a multitude of secondary problems will arise. In Norway now the emergency phones are collapsing because of unneeded callers regarding the virus, so people calling for car crashes etc. are not getting trough.

Distribution of life saving medicine and equipment might be hampered. Personally I am working with customs clearing on the biggest border between Norway and the EU, and we have no idea what to do if we get 1 sick person that put us all in quarantine. It will put all transport over that border into a halt, and that includes medicine, foodstuff, all kind of equipment and raw materials for production. As this is now a global crisis the option of just importing from other parts of the world are not there anymore.

Hospitals might become filled to the brim with flu-patients, and other sick people will not getting the needed treatment adding to the casualities.

All facets of the economic might take a horrible beating. Lots of jobs will dssapear into smoke, and as the stock market are crashing a lot of people are loosing their savings. If industry can not produce, they will not earn any money, and then go bankrupt after a period. Even if the pandemic blows over in a few weeks, the economy will take months atleast to recover.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The big deal here isn't how lethal it is...it's how lethal it isn't. It's not lethal enough to kill most people it touches or even make them outwordly sick. So you have all these silent carriers walking around not even knowing they are infected. Then they give it to an orderly at a nursing home and Bam.. you've got 50 dead people.

That's the danger here.

Well and the length of time you carry before one shows symptoms.

I'm avoiding going near any of the older folks in my community when I can avoid it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, a multitude of secondary problems will arise. In Norway now the emergency phones are collapsing because of unneeded callers regarding the virus, so people calling for car crashes etc. are not getting trough.

Distribution of life saving medicine and equipment might be hampered. Personally I am working with customs clearing on the biggest border between Norway and the EU, and we have no idea what to do if we get 1 sick person that put us all in quarantine. It will put all transport over that border into a halt, and that includes medicine, foodstuff, all kind of equipment and raw materials for production. As this is now a global crisis the option of just importing from other parts of the world are not there anymore.

Hospitals might become filled to the brim with flu-patients, and other sick people will not getting the needed treatment adding to the casualities.

All facets of the economic might take a horrible beating. Lots of jobs will dssapear into smoke, and as the stock market are crashing a lot of people are loosing their savings. If industry can not produce, they will not earn any money, and then go bankrupt after a period. Even if the pandemic blows over in a few weeks, the economy will take months atleast to recover.

This guy gets it

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I will say this though: COVID-19 will finally show us which meetings should have been an email all along :laugh:

Yes, could we please have a webinar rather than flying around the country? Save the cr@p granola bars and yogurt to keep me occupied during these long winded speeches in which I suddenly develop ADHD, hear nothing and all I can think about is what is happening with the NY Rangers!!!!

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
I work with school buses and am concerned for our drivers. Lots of them are either older or are in poor health (obese, diabetic, etc) and since children are the primary silent carrier: you can put one kid who doesn't know they have COVID-19 onto a single bus; now not only do all the other children on that one bus carry it but so too does the driver and the DA, both of whom come back to the yard and interact with the office staff who then go off and do their own things in the world.

They have us disinfecting the buses but I have my doubts over how effective it will be.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
That's a massive gap in between hiding under your bed in fear and acting like a moron claiming this is just the flu and thumbing your nose at this.

Please find the middle ground. Stay home if you're sick. If its recommended you don't do something, please don't. If your sports are altered - you'll live. It'll be fine if you watch a few games between closed doors. I promise you'll be alright if a game is cancelled. You don't have to panic, but please don't be a selfish dick.

Having a small child and a sick father who lives with me, and just going through the Measles outbreak, I've had it up to my eyes in people dismissing medical advice b/c they think everything they don't want to deal with as a media farce.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I work with school buses and am concerned for our drivers. Lots of them are either older or are in poor health (obese, diabetic, etc) and since children are the primary silent carrier: you can put one kid who doesn't know they have COVID-19 onto a single bus; now not only do all the other children on that one bus carry it but so too does the driver and the DA, both of whom come back to the yard and interact with the office staff who then go off and do their own things in the world.

They have us disinfecting the buses but I have my doubts over how effective it will be.

Hopefully they will close down schools. Poland are closing their schools from monday on, after just 25 infected, and Ukraine is closing them down with just 1 infected. It is a bit problematic with the smaller children as parents have to stay home with them, but it is less worse then having a whole school getting infected and then spreading it to their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad