OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There is no painless way without personal sacrifices made return to any kind of normal we were use to before. This could absolutely kill several hundred thousand people unless we all get on the same page. As well the more in denial that a significant % of the population decides to be the larger the hit is going to be to our economy because they're going to continue to throw fuel on the fire and keep it burning.

It's scary because you'd think people would realize the significance of this pandemic in terms of it's scope, but that couldn't be further from the truth in a lot of cases. They still treat it as someone else's problem unless it's directly impacting them in some meaningful way. I feel like every day I see 4 or 5 new clickbaity headlines about some person who thought COVID was a hoax until they caught it. You would think that 4 months into this people would've got the picture, but those bubbles are apparently very well insulated.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Between this and the reversal on mask recommendations from the administration, the last couple of days haven't been good for a certain segment of theories.
It looks more and more like the precautions we've been given work and people just don't want to accept that because either it disrupts preconceived notions, or because they're convinced that minor behavior adjustments are tyranny.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any stadium compared to the protests. Have you seen pics of the protests?
Then make it every other seat. But it should fly if the protesting doesn’t spread the virus theory is correct.
Are people going to behave as responsibly at a baseball game? I would think not.

Protests are not leisure. Many of them felt they had to be out there.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You mean to tell me that Florida DIDN'T handle thing the right way?

DeSantis still is in denial that there is a problem and said he won’t back down on re-openings.

Also, were you asking me a question? I know Florida has taken this lightly from day one and being part Florida resident this has been painful for me, especially with my family down there. I had to cancel my trip I was taking in a few weeks. Not worth It.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
DeSantis still is in denial that there is a problem and said he won’t back down on re-openings.

Also, were you asking me a question? I know Florida has taken this lightly from day one and being part Florida resident this has been painful for me, especially with my family down there. I had to cancel my trip I was taking in a few weeks. Not worth It.

Not asking you a question, just pointing out how absurd things have been handled down there and really further enforcing your point lol.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Are people going to behave as responsibly at a baseball game? I would think not.

Protests are not leisure. Many of them felt they had to be out there.

Why not? Why wouldn't they behave? Limit the sale of alcohol then?
I don't want to make this political but I'm not sure every single person during the rallies were behaving either (not wearing a mask, getting in peoples faces.)
I'm just basing this on the results you presented from that study. If being shoulder to shoulder with someone while shouting but wearing a mask doesn't not increase covid then why can't I got to a football or baseball game (plus getting temp checked at the gate).

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Why not? Why wouldn't they behave? Limit the sale of alcohol then?
I don't want to make this political but I'm not sure every single person during the rallies were behaving either (not wearing a mask, getting in peoples faces.)
I'm just basing this on the results you presented from that study. If being shoulder to shoulder with someone while shouting but wearing a mask doesn't not increase covid then why can't I got to a football or baseball game (plus getting temp checked at the gate).

It took people months to stop shaking hands out of habit. You think they're not going to immediately high-five or hug the person next to them after a home run or touchdown?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The notion that we can work jobs like normal through this is kind of a canard too. All it might take is one co-worker to spread it through your own work environment. You might not even know for a few days and spread it around your home. This idea of keeping economies going full bore without putting some serious health and safety measures in place was a terrible idea that a lot of states went ahead with anyway and they're paying the price for it now.

The economy has to take a backseat to safety and health concerns until this pandemic has been knocked down. In some European countries they more or less indemnified people's jobs. Probably would have been a good idea here in retrospect along with mask and distance requirements and a lot more testing than we did.

Over 10,000 new cases in Florida today. Almost 8,000 in Texas. A bit over 3,000 in Arizona. Nothing on California yet but they did about 10,000 yesterday.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My thoughts on what should happen to people like this are not forum appropriate

A 19-year-old McDonald's worker was assaulted after asking a customer to wear a mask, revealing a growing crisis in the restaurant industry

There's a disturbing amount of these articles lately.
The liberty culture in this country is so f***ing toxic.

There are plenty of free democracies around the world (in fact, it's most countries) and they generally don't behave like this.

A simple rule is not tyranny, you f***ing child.

Reactions: Siddi

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It took people months to stop shaking hands out of habit. You think they're not going to immediately high-five or hug the person next to them after a home run or touchdown?
But they will be wearing masks during outdoor events. No one during the protests touched each other? I must be looking at the wrong pics. Every single google image has people shoulder to shoulder.
I'm just playing devils advocate here but I am going based on the study. Masks work. Outdoors is good. if those things work it seems like being shoulder to shoulder wouldn't be an issue.

Plus temp checks can be made makes 83-99 percent of some kind of infection/virus evident (I know its not perfect but it could be done and probably will be done when certain events come back). Make it every other seat or every third seat if we want more distancing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The notion that we can work jobs like normal through this is kind of a canard too. All it might take is one co-worker to spread it through your own work environment. You might not even know for a few days and spread it around your home. This idea of keeping economies going full bore without putting some serious health and safety measures in place was a terrible idea that a lot of states went ahead with anyway and they're paying the price for it now.

The economy has to take a backseat to safety and health concerns until this pandemic has been knocked down. In some European countries they more or less indemnified people's jobs. Probably would have been a good idea here in retrospect along with mask and distance requirements and a lot more testing than we did.

Over 10,000 new cases in Florida today. Almost 8,000 in Texas. A bit over 3,000 in Arizona. Nothing on California yet but they did about 10,000 yesterday.

Fingers crossed, but this is hopefully the first time in 3 weeks that someone I or someone I work with has *not* had to shift to working from home due to a possible exposure. And working from home when you're the only one doing it, and it's for a specific reason rather than a general one... that's a whole different thing. I was far more productive at home when we were in lockdown than when I was self-isolated. Plus, everyone in the office is worried the whole time too.

Reactions: eco's bones

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Again I haven't been to a baseball game in probably 10 years and wouldn't go to one. I'm just stating what you presented with the study. The protests didn't lead to any spikes with corona according to the study. So outdoor events, shoulder to shoulder with some yelling and chanting should be ok.
You're making it much more than it should be. I'm trying to not make it political. Which it shouldn't be.
People aren't going to go to a social event and behave the same way they did at what was essentially a necessary act.

We've seen evidence of this at bars around the world.

Crowds at sports might be possible with reduced capacity but let's not get 50k cases a day first. We can't even manage that.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
People aren't going to go to a social event and behave the same way they did at what was essentially a necessary act.

We've seen evidence of this at bars around the world.

Crowds at sports might be possible with reduced capacity but let's not get 50k cases a day first. We can't even manage that.

How would they behave? fight? throw things at each other? spit at each other?
If this study proves that outdoor events can occur without corona spreading if proper steps are taken then this is very good news for the NFL, Concerts, MLB.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Do you live in NY? All dining was closed down - now outdoor dining is allowed with certain parameters. I’m not making that up.

Do we really think parties where the first person who gets sick gets a payout is the norm? That’s like saying we can’t have BBQ’s because MS13 had a BBQ and crimes occurred.
Im an ex-Brooklynite living in DC. My parents still live in Brooklyn.

My point was there's a lot of stupid people out there and people who lack common sense. People who are selfish. People who stick by a certain ideology. Thankfully they are not the norm, but they wreak havoc nonetheless.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am going on guessing here, perhaps the viral load indoors, without masks where there is a "super spreader" also indoors has something to do with the outbreaks mostly being indoors and also being somewhat isolated occurrences? Like we hear about this bar or that church but not all bars or churches.

Maybe outdoors the viral load somehow is just not enough to get others sick in some way? Especially if masks are being worn, especially if a "super spreader" is also wearing a mask?

I have no data or evidence to back that up at all, just my guess of why things may be playing out as such.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I am going on guessing here, perhaps the viral load indoors, without masks where there is a "super spreader" also indoors has something to do with the outbreaks mostly being indoors and also being somewhat isolated occurrences? Like we hear about this bar or that church but not all bars or churches.

Maybe outdoors the viral load somehow is just not enough to get others sick in some way? Especially if masks are being worn, especially if a "super spreader" is also wearing a mask?

I have no data or evidence to back that up at all, just my guess of why things may be playing out as such.

Yes, I think there have been a few studies that showed that the virus is spreading mostly through aerosols, which dissipate quickly outdoors, but can stay in the air a long time indoors. Also talking loudly and singing are very problematic, as this spreads the virus most. So it kind of makes sense that churches and bars are perfect spots for the virus to spread. And this is also why masks are so important: they greatly reduced the spreading by each person while talking (or singing).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The NHL wanting no part of games in the USA has to be quite a telling factor as far as how we've handled this.

This is why maybe we should draft more Europeans this year. They're much more likely to have somewhere to play this upcoming year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not sure what you said, got one of those notifications. I didn’t mean to upset or anger you, but right now this virus has really gotten to me, it took about 3 months, I was fine, but now, I really don’t know what to think anymore.
No, my phone just wigged out.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You seem to have forgotten that America as we know it started with a revolution.

Wouldn't that make blindly bending to authority just because they're authority unamerican? Wouldn't that make disparaging protests unamerican?

I don't wanna go completely off the rails but just one more thought on that topic: is it such a radical stance to admit we have a problem? Haven't we reached the point where it's objectively not just a few isolated incidents? I was told this was the land of liberty. I was told right to a fair trial was a founding principle. That means there should be very few extrajudicial killings (like, count on your fingers) and ZERO of people who were not criminals. [Also, use of tear gas is literally a war crime recognized by the Geneva Convention, just floating that fun fact out there. So yeah, I would say the F word too.]

And now you're telling me "let's not do these things" goes against the fabric of America. Either everything you and I know about America is wrong, or we actually need to be better here. You tell me.

Back to the virus, evidence said the protests didn't cause a spike. Period. That's it as far as this thread is concerned. That should be good enough. If it caused a spike, then we could have the discussion in a thread about the virus. It didn't, so all we're doing is going off topic to needlessly bash free Americans exercising their rights.

I didn’t forget that, this country or 13 colonies as it was before, came together for a cause. I thought Covid-19 would make us come together like 9-11 did, and sadly it has made use more separated , between the mask and no mask people, and what else has been going on, and that is a problem. So I agree with you there. We need to be better. No matter how much you and I support a cause, it may never be enough and you will always have that select few who want to fight.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
America is not a perfect place and sadly, just blaming others has been a long-standing tradition here. Every time there's a problem, we single out a group that we see as less American.

EF358E3C-1174-40C7-BDB7-150D3315E0DF.jpeg

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
America is not a perfect place and sadly, just blaming others has been a long-standing tradition here. Every time there's a problem, we single out a group that we see as less American.

So now we're arguing over who gets the blame and that's why we're apart.

The reality is, there is no scapegoat this time. Look at our numbers and the numbers elsewhere. Something quintessential to America is compounding this crisis. Ocham's Razor tells me it's because we're the only country on Earth not primarily living in the wilderness that has no healthcare system, but let's not go there again.

This needs to be the moment where we look in the mirror and say "we did this" which is why I'm so adverse to the "damn protestors" bandwagon.

I’ve now had 3 clients die of Covid-19, I talked to one of the wives over the phone, who was crying, saying they couldn’t even say goodbye, he died alone. It really took a lot out of me, and right now I still see people being ignorant to what’s going on, and that relates to everything we are seeing, not just Covid. If we don’t come together to fight this thing, the other shit won’t really matter and don’t get me wrong, that is critical also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad