#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

giphy.gif
Colorful, lawless swamp.

Reactions: motopanekeku

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Was thinking about this last night. I understand the economic arguments to opening things back up, but starting with the beaches makes absolutely no sense. The free admission beaches (might be a parking charge?) aren't going to drive an economic engine so why the hell would you start there? People aren't travelling right now so its not like you are bringing in tourist money.

So the only reason is for leisure and maybe some exercise. People really can't wait a few weeks for that? Ridiculous.

However, I did think they were already going to be hit hard based on how long it took them to close and that never materialized. So maybe there really is something to the virus not liking the sun (which would be pure luck for Florida, its not like they know this for sure.)

Reactions: nyr2k2

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I have the sense that both our bordering neighbors were a lot more intelligent in responding to this crisis and so have been able to contain the virus so much better. It helps when you have rational leadership at the top. Here it's pretty much up to 50 different governors to figure it out and that's why some are coordinating with each other because there is no real national strategy--that's been missing. And 50 different governors could do 50 different things and probably some of them will.
I sincerely hope that they can get the ship righted ASAP in the US and we all can get back to our daily lives once again albeit they might never be the same as they previously were .

Reactions: eco's bones

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Was thinking about this last night. I understand the economic arguments to opening things back up, but starting with the beaches makes absolutely no sense. The free admission beaches (might be a parking charge?) aren't going to drive an economic engine so why the hell would you start there? People aren't travelling right now so its not like you are bringing in tourist money.
I will say this, the beach, and parks for that matter, are places where social distancing is pretty easy to accomplish. Other than spring break scenarios, I can’t think of a situation I’ve ever been in where I’ve been on top of other people at the beach, and I grew up on the crowded Jersey shore (yes, I am fist pumping right now).

The closing down of public, open spaces has been a problem for me throughout this time. People’s tendency to completely ignore the rules and have group picnics and 5 on 5 basketball games have been a problem for me as well, but I go to the park near where I live now specifically to get away from people and to get some sun. Not being able to do that has been tough and feels unnecessary.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
beaches do make sense if one considers/believes in the ability of humans to follow the rules.

6 ft apart from others you haven't been quarantining with. walking only. no sunning or blankets etc.

with supervision and direction, it can happen. this isnt a "spring break" scenario here. its a quality of life and survival thing. people need to get out and get some sun and exercise and feel like they still have some control over their lives. something about being told i cant do anything doesn't ring true with me.

the unintended consequences of this ordeal have been difficult. the damage from isolation and the destruction of economies has yet to play out. it is not about selfishness- although theres plenty of that to go around, its about survival and not letting the pandemic destroy the fabric of this society.

im a golfer. belong to a private course here. we are ok for a bit, then our local politicos get involved- cuomo says golf is ok until the county exec said ya gotta close. he was getting pounded with emails and calls from people taking pictures of golfers not exercising 6 ft, still gathering in parking lots after the round and still shaking hands. wasnt us. public courses were cited as the culprits.

at my club, we were observing the guidance from the PGA and USGA. didnt matter, he said you are done. he said he had "data" to support his decision and cited "socio economic" factors as well. (???) soon after, cuomo also said close em down. the "not fair" crowd won out afaic, if we cant play 5on5 BB games or bowl or let our kids play on the playgrounds, then you "rich white guys" cant golf.

if theres one outside activity we should be able to do its golf. its "taylor made" for social distancing. dont touch the flags, dont shake hands, walking only. 6 ft apart. no driving carts. thats a normal round for us anyway.

things are not all the same. everyone shouldn't share the misery just because. knee jerk isnt a plan.

lastly, and this may sound callous and cold, but nature has a way off cleansing. this virus primarily takes the weak and the old. this isnt something new. its been part of nature for ever. its hard to say it but its true. also, this will apply to the economy as well. weak business will die, the strong will survive. again, not good or bad. just reality. i feel for all who have suffered or lost loved ones.

i think theres momentum there for people to say weve had enough of the govt running our entire existence. we need to take back our lives and at the same time not be irresponsible and put others at risk.

i fear for NYC. gonna be along time before that place recovers. a weekend in soho or chelsea- our favorite places or lunch in china town wont be part of our plans for a bit for sure.

sorry for the rambling thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: xbure9x

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I will say this, the beach, and parks for that matter, are places where social distancing is pretty easy to accomplish. Other than spring break scenarios, I can’t think of a situation I’ve ever been in where I’ve been on top of other people at the beach, and I grew up on the crowded Jersey shore (yes, I am fist pumping right now).

The closing down of public, open spaces has been a problem for me throughout this time. People’s tendency to completely ignore the rules and have group picnics and 5 on 5 basketball games have been a problem for me as well, but I go to the park near where I live now specifically to get away from people and to get some sun. Not being able to do that has been tough and feels unnecessary.

I get what you are saying. They "closed" off a couple trails near me in Jersey which seems absurd. Was doing walks with my kids all the time and now we are restricted to the sidewalks. Makes no sense.

However, you look at that picture and we are talking about a different scenario than being outside and away from others. Then you have the communal aspect of the showers and bathrooms that everyone is now sharing.

The other part that bothers me about this scenario. What is the long term solution that this is helping with? Let's say opening up the beaches doesn't cause any issues at all (opening anything will cause SOME problems, but lets just pretend) does that help with anything long term? Doesn't help the economy and now you have a lot of people who went to the beach for a couple weeks and have no issues thinking maybe everything is overblown. Do they start getting even more lax on social distancing? Does it cause other places that do have higher rates of infection than Jacksonville look at this and think the same thing?

I understand the mental aspects of getting people out of their house, it just seems like very short term thinking right now in the grand scheme of things. And, I am for a phased opening in places that haven't been hit hard. Beaches just don't make any sense to me as where to start.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
beaches do make sense if one considers/believes in the ability of humans to follow the rues.

Lol.

I agree with you that golf makes sense in areas that aren't hit hard though. By its nature its much more spread out than beaches, and there is an economic engine in there that at least helps get the country back on track.

The sympathy I have for governors is that once you open something every else wants a piece of theirs. Oh, beaches are open? Well why can't I golf? Oh people are golfing, why can't I do X, and so on and so forth. So it's a slippery slope.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I get what you are saying. They "closed" off a couple trails near me in Jersey which seems absurd. Was doing walks with my kids all the time and now we are restricted to the sidewalks. Makes no sense.

However, you look at that picture and we are talking about a different scenario than being outside and away from others. Then you have the communal aspect of the showers and bathrooms that everyone is now sharing.

The other part that bothers me about this scenario. What is the long term solution that this is helping with? Let's say opening up the beaches doesn't cause any issues at all (opening anything will cause SOME problems, but lets just pretend) does that help with anything long term? Doesn't help the economy and now you have a lot of people who went to the beach for a couple weeks and have no issues thinking maybe everything is overblown. Do they start getting even more lax on social distancing? Does it cause other places that do have higher rates of infection than Jacksonville look at this and think the same thing?

I understand the mental aspects of getting people out of their house, it just seems like very short term thinking right now in the grand scheme of things. And, I am for a phased opening in places that haven't been hit hard. Beaches just don't make any sense to me as where to start.
Yeah, this is tough. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but I also think that the less draconian the restrictions are, the more likely people are to follow them willingly. Also, I’m assuming you are from NY. You might not have a full appreciation for how significant a part of daily life the beaches are in Florida and other coastal resort type places. They are basically the only reason to be in those places. Everything revolves around them. It’s not vacation for the locals. Does that make sense?

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Yeah, this is tough. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but I also think that the less draconian the restrictions are, the more likely people are to follow them willingly. Also, I’m assuming you are from NY. You might not have a full appreciation for how significant a part of daily life the beaches are in Florida and other coastal resort type places. They are basically the only reason to be in those places. Everything revolves around them. It’s not vacation for the locals. Does that make sense?

I hear you. Ultimately, I have sympathy for people who are at risk of financial ruin by not getting back to their jobs. I just don't have much sympathy for people needing to go to the beach right now.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Those are not current pictures of our beaches. Too bad the news media couldn’t bother checking any of their info and request current photos. But hey, the rest of the country will eat it up with no background check.

Gotta love our ‘journalists’

Is that true? Might not look quite as bad as that first picture but sure seems a like a lot of people in the live video in the below article. Not disagreeing or arguing, just curious why you say that.

Visitors cheer as Jacksonville beaches reopen

Reactions: Irishguy42

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Those are not current pictures of our beaches. Too bad the news media couldn’t bother checking any of their info and request current photos. But hey, the rest of the country will eat it up with no background check.

Gotta love our ‘journalists’
Good thing that regardless of what the pictures may/may not show, DeSantis is still a dumb-ass for re-opening beaches and the sentiment of the gif is the same regardless.

:thumbu:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Good thing that regardless of what the pictures may/may not show, DeSantis is still a dumb-ass for re-opening beaches and the sentiment of the gif is the same regardless.

:thumbu:

Why is he a dumbass? Speaking specifically for our area it’s pretty easy to distance on a beach. For the most part they’re all 50-100 yards deep so even if you have to pass someone it’s not an issue. People have been biking, walking and running for weeks and yet our numbers are pretty small in northeast Florida.

I’m not saying I love all or even most of his decisions but I’m failing to see why a picture from not recently would show that?

:thumbd:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
For real. I hate the beach .
Are you a pool person? Really don't enjoy the pool at all, I could go to the beach any day.

I'm a lake person myself but I like the beach, the kids love playing in the sand. The problem with the beach is the salt water stings my eyes and the waves beating on you really wears on you over time. I would go more often but my wife DESPISES having to pack up all the gear and dragging it down, then having everything full of sand and cleaning it all up

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is that true? Might not look quite as bad as that first picture but sure seems a like a lot of people in the live video in the below article. Not disagreeing or arguing, just curious why you say that.

Visitors cheer as Jacksonville beaches reopen

I physically live near that beach. I can promise you it’s not as bad as being portrayed. And I’m still unsure how it’s any different than a normal large running or biking path. I’m not trying to be condescending but are all public streets and sidewalks closed all over the country? Our beach here is hard packed sand. So it’s utilized A LOT for exercising such as biking, walking and running.

Honestly, as far as this area goes, it should never have been closed. Just restrictions on numbers of people and no sitting and relaxing. People walk, bike and run on city streets all the time. The beaches here are wider than anything NYC has on the entire island.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As per the beaches in Florida. My family down in Florida, telling me some beaches open for limited hours during the day, cannot sit or lay down to stay, and have to be social distant from others. They are doing this so people can get out a little. Heat and Sun, which is a lot in Florida, helps to limit spread. A walk on the beach is not exactly risky as long as you are covering face and keeping distant.

So don’t see this as a big deal. If it gets too crowed, authorities will step in to break things up.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm a lake person myself but I like the beach, the kids love playing in the sand. The problem with the beach is the salt water stings my eyes and the waves beating on you really wears on you over time. I would go more often but my wife DESPISES having to pack up all the gear and dragging it down, then having everything full of sand and cleaning it all up

I lived in Tel Aviv for a few years, my apartment was literally a 5 minute walk from the beach so I forced myself to go esp in the summer. But I could never spend more than an hour there. It’s too hot , the sand is uncomfortable and everyone is in better shape and better looking than me :mad:

Reactions: Fireonk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad