OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part IV - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My wife has Covid-19. 30 years old, completely healthy 5'3 130lb woman.

My wife is a healthcare worker in a hospital on LI. She's been doing exams on patients, direct contact in their rooms, who were confirmed Covid patients. Always with PPE, but obviously due to shortages they were being required to reuse N-95 more than previously. Not taking any chances, wearing hospital scrubs while on duty and changing before leaving, wearing different shoes, etc.

So two Sundays ago (the 22nd) she said she did an exam on a confirmed Covid-19 positive patient and was all covered in her PPE but as she was wiping her machine down with a bleach wipe before leaving the patient's room, she could smell bleach even with the mask on. This worried her because you're not supposed to be able to smell anything so it was pretty obvious her mask failed. So that night she came home and stripped down and got right in the shower.

That Thursday she felt a cold coming on. Friday she was not feeling well so she called out not wanting to take any chances, employee health sent her to get tested and she got it done right away that Friday and we quarantined until results (I'm already working from home so the only thing that changed was she wasn't going to work anymore lol) came. Sat - Tues. Same symptoms: head cold, fatigue and just overall not feeling well. NO fever, tiny little bit of coughing but more along the lines of allergies than an actual cough. So we assumed she had a cold.

Wednesday morning (5 days post Covid test) she gets a call that she is positive. She starts freaking and I'm trying not to freak. Thursday she was so fatigued and tired she could barely get up. Today she felt a little better in the morning but then was just as fatigued and said her whole body hurt and when she showered felt like she would pass out. Also talking about feeling dizzy and head not feeling clear and slight chest pain, though idk if that's anxiety fueled. Luckily we have a Pulse Oximeter to keep an eye on her SpO2 levels, should be 98-99 when healthy, that's what mine is hers is 96-97 and a low heart rate, not sure what to make of that.

We are 8 days since her becoming symptomatic and her getting a test test, so at least 8 days in to it. She has still yet to have a fever at all, highest her temp has gotten is 99.6 (so low grade fever, but not actual spiked fever like most have). A slight cough throughout the day, but not big hacking and heavy cough - more just like a lingering tickle in her throat type. I really hope she starts to feel better soon but it seems like it's been getting worse every day. I really hope she doesn't start to develop respiratory symptoms.

Then there's the anxiety about me. We're in a 1br apartment so even trying to be careful and wash my hands 85 times a day, keep relative distance it's still hard because there's not really anywhere for either of us to go. I haven't had any symptoms yet but the people when they called with the test results said I'm presumed positive bc she is but there's no way of knowing. Am I a lucky one who is asymptomatic? Am I going to start getting sick too? No way to know but it's pretty tough to deal with. Most importantly I need her to start turning a corner while hoping it stays a relatively mild case.
So sorry to hear about this. I'm pulling for her and for you.

Keep us informed!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A6BCB334-8F03-42B5-BF02-18EEDFDCAA4B.png

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He really should suspend rent though.
You really cannot do that. How does that work? He cannot take private business and simply take it over and suspend rent payments. Not without major compensation to the people who would be collecting the rent payments. And then the compensation becomes greater than the rent.

Reactions: bl02 and Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m not certain what I can say in response to this that will not trip the political rules, so I will simply say that I understand her point. And it applies to many, many more.
Come on, BRF. One cannot simply suspend all mortgage and rent payments indefinitely. That is not a realstic answer nor a practical one more. One way or the other, people who collect the rent will need to be compensated. You cannot simply have a government take over private rental industry. That will no happen. AOC is speaking, as she usually does, without a rudimentary understanding of how the real world works.

An ideological utopia is all well and good. Until you actually have to figure out how to make it work.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I’m not sure what trips the political deal either but listening to a man acting as a true leader... f***ING daily, and then listening to one who is acting as ANYTHING BUT, is really wearing on me.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Let's talk about the masks because there's a lot of confusion -- wear them, don't wear them.

I'm not a doctor but this is the info I've gathered from people I trust who know about this.

The initial reasoning behind the CDC recommending we don't wear makes is threefold 1) The doctors and the sick need them. 2) Unless it's an N-95 mask or the like (which, again, should be in the hands of those who need them) it's likely not keeping viral load out of your system. 3) Respiratory infection in public spaces is highly, highly unlikely. It generally occurs only with sustained exposure to somebody sick. The most common form of infection, even more so in public space, is surface-hand-face. It lands, you touch it, you touch your face. That's why we're doing social distancing. It's not about duct tape yourself in the house because people are out there breathing. It's about don't hang around where you and other people will touch the same surfaces.

Those three things still hold true. A mask is probably not keeping you healthy if you -by some bizarre turn of events- walk right into a sneeze. What we're trying to do at this point is not keep the virus out, but keep it in. If you are asymptomatic and spreading, a light mask or even a scarf or a bandanna may be able to limit the number of your respiratory droplets that land on surfaces, which is of course the main culprit.

Again, I'm not a doctor so I'm not saying do it and I'm not saying don't do it. That's up to you. Just don't be alarmed that they're recommending it. It probably couldn't hurt and it's worth a try.

Just be careful taking it on and off. A mask actually makes things worse if you contaminate it because the viral load will linger right near the point of entry

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The same way suspending mortgages works. We've done that.

but its a valid point, doing it for rent would be alot more complicated because lots of people renting are paying rent to individuals. mortgages are thru banks so its alot easier to work with the major banks and get them to put a freeze on all of their mortgages then to work with each individual landlords...it absolutely can be done, but it would be more complicated to work out the details.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
but its a valid point, doing it for rent would be alot more complicated because lots of people renting are paying rent to individuals. mortgages are thru banks so its alot easier to work with the major banks and get them to put a freeze on all of their mortgages then to work with each individual landlords...it absolutely can be done, but it would be more complicated to work out the details.
That's fair.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I've heard from people I know in NYPD and FDNY they are responding to an insanely high amount of DOA's. Often it's an older person who was showing all the symptoms but either didn't seek treatment or did go to the hospital but was turned away (untested) because the symptoms weren't severe enough. Even the death numbers we're getting are likely not catching a lot of these.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The same way suspending mortgages works. We've done that.
Something I continue to fail to grasp since the 2008 bailout is why didn’t the funds that were directed to the banks go straight to paying the mortgages that were defaulting. Banks get their money and the people get some relief. Where did the money go?

Reactions: eco's bones

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Something I continue to fail to grasp since the 2008 bailout is why didn’t the funds that were directed to the banks go straight to paying the mortgages that were defaulting. Banks get their money and the people get some relief. Where did the money go?

bank executive's pockets i'm assuming

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Into pockets.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

that money was used to fund net new loans. Those headed for default was a loss that couldn’t be recouped or saved.

The real estate crash wasn’t like a bank sold a loan at a fair market value, kept the loan and used the bailout money to maintain the loan/owner. Instead, the bank offered a loan in an artificially inflated market to owners who couldn’t afford the load in the first place, then sold the loan off many times until the bank which was holding the paper recognized the loan was worthless.

A $400K house was being sold for $600K while the person who bought the house could only afford a $150K house. Meanwhile, the $600K note (loan/mortgage) was now attached to a house which crashed to $300K.

As banks continued to sell then loans, they packaged it as if the house would continue to increase in value and somehow people would be able to afford them (they figure if the owner defaults the bank makes out b/c they own an expensive house and real estate always increases in value).

So that $600K note was packaged as if the house would increase to $700K whereas is was crashing below (what should have been) the FMV of $400K. Hence, the money on paper was only air. It was unfixable. Now multiply that scenario by millions.

The bailout money was for net new business b/c there was nothing left.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad