OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part IV - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
and to prove that no good deed goes unpunished...AOC is calling cuomo racists cause he didn't also suspend rent. cause obviously if you help some people but not all you are a bad person
I’m not certain what I can say in response to this that will not trip the political rules, so I will simply say that I understand her point. And it applies to many, many more.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He really should suspend rent though.

I’m not certain what I can say in response to this that will not trip the political rules, so I will simply say that I understand her point. And it applies to many, many more.

don't get me wrong, he should 1000% should have suspended rent too and that was wrong. If that is what she said I would be fine, but why does it have to be about race? why does everything have to be about the negative to pit people against each other? I have an issue that she did it, not to fix the issue, but to draw attention to herself. her underlying point was fine...the approach isn't needed.

Reactions: Barnaby

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wearing an improperly fitted, improperly worn, or the wrong type of mask may increase your chances of becoming infected. The virus can get trapped inside your mask.

I just saw a long live interview with Fauci and he said masks help prevent you from transmitting the virus, not prevent you from getting it.

My wife is a Respiratory Director and my next door neighbor works for the CDC and they agree with everything in this post.

The top experts at the WHO and the top epidemiologists have also concluded that advising people to wear a mask is counterproductive.

But at the same time — they also say that this is based on (a) what they have learned from existing studies, and (b) very little specific information about this virus.

I don’t like this advise. It is not presented as what it is. On one side a face mask will certainly protect you a lot in many situations. This is not described since most people shouldn’t end up in those situations, like someone coughing close to you or even breathing close to you. But with this thing, if you can slow it down 5% — it has a tremendous impact. There is no study on a pandemic of this scale nor on this virus that does seem to differ quit much from recent viruses.

In Japan everyone wears a mask and many have for some time. Ie before this pandemic. Japan is probably the country doing best of maintaining a normal living without having an outbreak they can’t handle.

So it’s perfectly possible that it’s not from all perspectives an efficient measure to go out and tell everyone to buy and wear a mask. It’s possible that it provideS a false sense of security. It’s of course possible that worn in an improper way, it could even prevent the breathing of fresh air and felicitate the virus coming into your body (but their is certainly not any strong evidence for this). And so forth.

But they shouldn’t provide false information that a mask isn’t protective. Everyone know that it can be protective. And in this situation, I think they are trapped a bit in a lie in lack of better words. “You should stay in your house and don’t go out. But if you are a fire fighter that has to get to your job riding an over full buss — lol don’t wear a N95 mask if you have one it gives you no protection whatsoever.” That is litterary what they have said over and over and over again.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wearing an improperly fitted, improperly worn, or the wrong type of mask may increase your chances of becoming infected. The virus can get trapped inside your mask.

I just saw a long live interview with Fauci and he said masks help prevent you from transmitting the virus, not prevent you from getting it.

My wife is a Respiratory Director and my next door neighbor works for the CDC and they agree with everything in this post.

The top experts at the WHO and the top epidemiologists have also concluded that advising people to wear a mask is counterproductive.

But at the same time — they also say that this is based on (a) what they have learned from existing studies, and (b) very little specific information about this virus.

I don’t like this advise. It is not presented as what it is. On one side a face mask will certainly protect you a lot in many situations. This is not described since most people shouldn’t end up in those situations, like someone coughing close to you or even breathing close to you. But with this thing, if you can slow it down 5% — it has a tremendous impact. There is no study on a pandemic of this scale nor on this virus that does seem to differ quit much from recent viruses.

In Japan everyone wears a mask and many have for some time. Ie before this pandemic. Japan is probably the country doing best of maintaining a normal living without having an outbreak they can’t handle.

So it’s perfectly possible that it’s not from all perspectives an efficient measure to go out and tell everyone to buy and wear a mask. It’s possible that it provideS a false sense of security. It’s of course possible that worn in an improper way, it could even prevent the breathing of fresh air and felicitate the virus coming into your body (but their is certainly not any strong evidence for this). And so forth.

But they shouldn’t provide false information that a mask isn’t protective. Everyone know that it can be protective. And in this situation, I think they are trapped a bit in a lie in lack of better words. “You should stay in your house and don’t go out. But if you are a fire fighter that has to get to your job riding an over full buss — lol don’t wear a N95 mask if you have one it gives you no protection whatsoever.” That is literary what they have said over and over and over again. I certainly believe that there is a resistance to now make an 180’ for the same people.

I think that it’s a very good move by Trump to advise people to cover their face.

Reactions: leetch99

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I have a happy story to brighten the spirits.

My heart sank last week when I got an email from one of my students that he contracted COVID-19. You see it on the news but the gravity is just different when it hits your circle. I know the vast majority survive but you fear the worst. He's so young.

Yesterday, he emailed me to let me know the virus is in remission. He's going to make it and get back to full health. I was overjoyed. And it just so happened that was about to launch our online class in 30 minutes. I emailed him back and let him know he was more than welcome to take the class off given what he'd been through. He responded and said "thanks, but I'd like to come to class today."

I felt like I was in a Rocky movie. No, f*** coronavirus, I'm going to class.

I was worried about losing work come next semester starting in August, but I checked my schedule today and enrollment is still going up. I'm blown away by the determination and the fight in these kids to keep moving forward and keep getting the work done even as the world stops turning.

There will be losses. Wish I could tell you otherwise, but I can't. But for the most part, as a community, I think we gonna be alright. There's some tough people out there and this is one tough city.

New York is filled with a lot of tough people (myself included lol), no surprise.

Reactions: Machinehead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I've been kind of doing this the last 7 years though. It's not that hard. Not meaning to offend anyone but quite a while before I retired I'd come to the conclusion that most all work related stuff was dumb. I segued very happily into a non-work related life and prefer to putter around at this or that. Those fish are doing okay if you ask me.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I've been kind of doing this the last 7 years though. It's not that hard. Not meaning to offend anyone but quite a while before I retired I'd come to the conclusion that most all work related stuff was dumb. I segued very happily into a non-work related life and prefer to putter around at this or that. Those fish are doing okay if you ask me.
I've been fully remote for about a month now. One of the reasons I hate working from home is that for me, work is work and when I'm home I get to do what I want. If I need to do something over the weekend I much prefer to go into my office. Commuting is one of the rare times I get to force myself from sitting in front of a computer. I miss it.

One of the other reasons I don't like working from home is how distracted I can get. I've been staying at my mom's house and there is basically nothing to do here. So somehow I've become much more productive.

Reactions: eco's bones

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah my business can be run remotely. Have everyone set up in my office that way, and we are conducting business as we are all there. So it keeps me sane to do some work, and then at night just do my normal routine.

I go out for food only, and that’s about it. The luxuries of going out to like dinner and drinking at the bar, movies, going to games, walking around the city and going to malls, are fine to sacrifice since its for the greater good to help end this crisis sooner. Sadly, a lot of people still are not treating this seriously or are just ignorant.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
My wife has Covid-19. 30 years old, completely healthy 5'3 130lb woman.

My wife is a healthcare worker in a hospital on LI. She's been doing exams on patients, direct contact in their rooms, who were confirmed Covid patients. Always with PPE, but obviously due to shortages they were being required to reuse N-95 more than previously. Not taking any chances, wearing hospital scrubs while on duty and changing before leaving, wearing different shoes, etc.

So two Sundays ago (the 22nd) she said she did an exam on a confirmed Covid-19 positive patient and was all covered in her PPE but as she was wiping her machine down with a bleach wipe before leaving the patient's room, she could smell bleach even with the mask on. This worried her because you're not supposed to be able to smell anything so it was pretty obvious her mask failed. So that night she came home and stripped down and got right in the shower.

That Thursday she felt a cold coming on. Friday she was not feeling well so she called out not wanting to take any chances, employee health sent her to get tested and she got it done right away that Friday and we quarantined until results (I'm already working from home so the only thing that changed was she wasn't going to work anymore lol) came. Sat - Tues. Same symptoms: head cold, fatigue and just overall not feeling well. NO fever, tiny little bit of coughing but more along the lines of allergies than an actual cough. So we assumed she had a cold.

Wednesday morning (5 days post Covid test) she gets a call that she is positive. She starts freaking and I'm trying not to freak. Thursday she was so fatigued and tired she could barely get up. Today she felt a little better in the morning but then was just as fatigued and said her whole body hurt and when she showered felt like she would pass out. Also talking about feeling dizzy and head not feeling clear and slight chest pain, though idk if that's anxiety fueled. Luckily we have a Pulse Oximeter to keep an eye on her SpO2 levels, should be 98-99 when healthy, that's what mine is hers is 96-97 and a low heart rate, not sure what to make of that.

We are 8 days since her becoming symptomatic and her getting a test test, so at least 8 days in to it. She has still yet to have a fever at all, highest her temp has gotten is 99.6 (so low grade fever, but not actual spiked fever like most have). A slight cough throughout the day, but not big hacking and heavy cough - more just like a lingering tickle in her throat type. I really hope she starts to feel better soon but it seems like it's been getting worse every day. I really hope she doesn't start to develop respiratory symptoms.

Then there's the anxiety about me. We're in a 1br apartment so even trying to be careful and wash my hands 85 times a day, keep relative distance it's still hard because there's not really anywhere for either of us to go. I haven't had any symptoms yet but the people when they called with the test results said I'm presumed positive bc she is but there's no way of knowing. Am I a lucky one who is asymptomatic? Am I going to start getting sick too? No way to know but it's pretty tough to deal with. Most importantly I need her to start turning a corner while hoping it stays a relatively mild case.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So two Sundays ago (the 22nd) she said she did an exam on a confirmed Covid-19 positive patient and was all covered in her PPE but as she was wiping her machine down with a bleach wipe before leaving the patient's room, she could smell bleach even with the mask on. This worried her because you're not supposed to be able to smell anything so it was pretty obvious her mask failed. So that night she came home and stripped down and got right in the shower.
That's not correct, N95 masks are dust and particulate respirator masks. For fumes you need a P95. You can still smell odors with an N95 so it's normal to smell bleach

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Lxq6BPr.jpg

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
That's not correct, N95 masks are dust and particulate respirator masks. For fumes you need a P95. You can still smell odors with an N95 so it's normal to smell bleach
Interesting, a couple coworkers told her she shouldn’t be able to smell anything wearing it. Either way she got it somehow, we were just working under the assumption that it was linked to that day but she works in two different hospitals and has done exams on tons of positive and under investigation patients. That Sunday was 5 days before she tested positive so it was likely around then but yeah maybe it’s possible it wasn’t that particular time. Truth is anyone she encountered could’ve had it. Could’ve been a coworker. They’re all wearing masks but who knows. Hell I could’ve picked it up doing our food shopping and gave it to her, no way of knowing.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

My wife is a healthcare worker in a hospital on LI. She's been doing exams on patients, direct contact in their rooms, who were confirmed Covid patients. Always with PPE, but obviously due to shortages they were being required to reuse N-95 more than previously. Not taking any chances, wearing hospital scrubs while on duty and changing before leaving, wearing different shoes, etc.

That Thursday she felt a cold coming on. Friday she was not feeling well so she called out not wanting to take any chances, employee health sent her to get tested and she got it done right away that Friday and we quarantined until results (I'm already working from home so the only thing that changed was she wasn't going to work anymore lol) came. Sat - Tues. Same symptoms: head cold, fatigue and just overall not feeling well. NO fever, tiny little bit of coughing but more along the lines of allergies than an actual cough. So we assumed she had a cold.

Wednesday morning (5 days post Covid test) she gets a call that she is positive. She starts freaking and I'm trying not to freak. Thursday she was so fatigued and tired she could barely get up. Today she felt a little better in the morning but then was just as fatigued and said her whole body hurt and when she showered felt like she would pass out. Also talking about feeling dizzy and head not feeling clear and slight chest pain, though idk if that's anxiety fueled. Luckily we have a Pulse Oximeter to keep an eye on her SpO2 levels, should be 98-99 when healthy, that's what mine is hers is 96-97 and a low heart rate, not sure what to make of that.

We are 8 days since her becoming symptomatic and her getting a test test, so at least 8 days in to it. She has still yet to have a fever at all, highest her temp has gotten is 99.6 (so low grade fever, but not actual spiked fever like most have). A slight cough throughout the day, but not big hacking and heavy cough - more just like a lingering tickle in her throat type. I really hope she starts to feel better soon but it seems like it's been getting worse every day. I really hope she doesn't start to develop respiratory symptoms.

Then there's the anxiety about me. We're in a 1br apartment so even trying to be careful and wash my hands 85 times a day, keep relative distance it's still hard because there's not really anywhere for either of us to go. I haven't had any symptoms yet but the people when they called with the test results said I'm presumed positive bc she is but there's no way of knowing. Am I a lucky one who is asymptomatic? Am I going to start getting sick too? No way to know but it's pretty tough to deal with. Most importantly I need her to start turning a corner while hoping it stays a relatively mild case.
I'm really sorry and my thoughts are with you and your wife. Please take care of yourselves. It appears her immune system is strong and fighting it.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Thank her for working on the front lines for all of us. Do your best and take care of her. My thoughts and prayers are really with you both.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Luckily we have a Pulse Oximeter to keep an eye on her SpO2 levels, should be 98-99 when healthy, that's what mine is hers is 96-97 and a low heart rate, not sure what to make of that.

Not a doctor but have a history assisting a neighbor with COPD care.

SpO2 should be equal to or over 95 for people without any pre-existing respiratory issues. However, keep in mind that finger meters have a typical accuracy range of +/- 2%. If her readings continue to go down and shortness of breath increases, do not hesitate to reach out to her hospital/doctors for further care instructions for hypoxia. (next step will just be oxygen therapy, not a ventilator).

Lastly, make sure your wife's finger where you are taking a SpO2 reading doesn't have finger nail polish, that can affect the read out.

We're all pulling for you and hopefully she should be turning the corner shortly.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I take Losartan Potassium for high blood pressure. It's a prescription from several years back. I wasn't too jazzed about it to be honest but after I started taking it this nasty varicose vein on my left leg that curled around the inside of my kneecap disappeared within a month. After that I was like 'okay, it's worth it'. The doctor's been happy with my numbers ever since too--so I don't have to listen to him fussing and griping either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad