OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Drove to a Walgreens in Arlington. Looks normal out there, if a little more sparse in terms of people. Stocked up on whatever I can. Looked a little foolish and self conscious as I was the only one in the store buying more than a handful of things. Bought two packets of claritin. That was probably the most important item.

No TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer. Plenty of beer.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does your dad have respiratory issues related to smoking, though? Merely smoking without underlying issues isn't exactly something to really be concerned about. If he had something like emphysema and chronic shortness of breath, I would be much more concerned.

I don't know if he has an illness but he coughs a lot. Has as far back as my childhood. I remember 30 years ago I'd know he was coming home because I could hear him cough from 4 floors down.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How does it matter with regards to the healthcare system not being equipped to handle this volume of ICU patients?

what if a certain age or health group is found less likely to need a respirator or recovers in a more timely matter, etc?

You have to at least try to find a solution rather than throw them all into one taxonomy, throw your hands up in the air and say “we don’t have enough”.

Not sure what the solution is but anybody dismissing stats, well you just mentioned one without giving a number and everything in medicine revolves around stats, you might want to get used to it.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Wow...and our Province[PEI] just recorded it's first case yesterday . It has not stopped a lot of people from flying out for March Break to the Caribbean and Florida . There likely be some crying next week if the borders get closed .

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Drove to a Walgreens in Arlington. Looks normal or there, if a little more sparse in terms of people. Stocked up on whatever I can. Looked a little foolish and self conscious as I was the only one in the store buying more than a handful of things. Bought two packets of claritin. That was probably the most important item.

Speaking of Claritin, the mix of seasonal allergies PLUS this is crazy. I've had a headache for the better part of over a week and I know it's just allergies. But so often allergies can mimic opening symptoms of flu.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m using this quarantine time to catch up on shows, currently watching Westworld season 2

A couple episodes in and this has been a slog to get through

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Speaking of Claritin, the mix of seasonal allergies PLUS this is crazy. I've had a headache for the better part of over a week and I know it's just allergies. But so often allergies can mimic opening symptoms of flu.
Yeah same here. I’m coughing , headaches , tightness in the chest but it comes and goes, I have seasonal allergies and mild asthma that is exacerbated by allergies. It’s unsettling lol

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Anyway as we can see most people are still not taking this seriously enough . Not talking about the people I this thread but I mean in the community i general. People still going on vacations, on flights etc. airplanes and airports are like the worst places you can possibly be aside from an actual hospital.

Reactions: leetch99

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah same here. I’m coughing , headaches , tightness in the chest but it comes and goes, I have seasonal allergies and mild asthma that is exacerbated by allergies. It’s unsettling lol
Extremely so. My wife is the same way and we are consistently wondering if we are going to die or just need a Claritin.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Reading through some TMNT archives.

I’ll be working remotely - with the kids home. So that should be...fun.
NYC Teachers are planning a walkout on Wednesday if schools aren't closed. But the healthcare union just told the mayor he should close the schools, so basically De Blasio has no support left for keeping them open. Most likely announcement comes in the next 24 hours that NYC is on lockdown except for essential workers

Reactions: frozenrubber

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Highest amount of people in the country have the virus here, he has contact with a shit ton of people, close contact, and he has breathing problems. Not looking good for him at all.

He needs to use common sense like washing hands, disinfecting his desk with wipes, etc. The odds are well in his favor. You sound like you are the one who isn't going to make it through this thing. There will be bad news and tweets coming out for the next few weeks and months. you can't act like each one is armageddon. Good luck to you and your family.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
What's the over under on people who name their newborns Covid during this period?

Reactions: Inferno

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He needs to use common sense like washing hands, disinfecting his desk with wipes, etc. The odds are well in his favor. You sound like you are the one who isn't going to make it through this thing. There will be bad news and tweets coming out for the next few weeks and months. you can't act like each one is armageddon. Good luck to you and your family.

Thanks, I'll be fine. I'm concerned about my parents. ICU % is 19%? I'm sure it's much smaller due to undiagnosed cases but that's insane!

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Thanks, I'll be fine. I'm concerned about my parents. ICU % is 19%? I'm sure it's much smaller due to undiagnosed cases but that's insane!
If you want to be ultra cautious, buy an EPV200 ventilator if you can find one. They are relatively affordable (<$600) and will save a life if the hospitals run out of bed space. Most supply stores ran out this week though

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
what if a certain age or health group is found less likely to need a respirator or recovers in a more timely matter, etc?

You have to at least try to find a solution rather than throw them all into one taxonomy, throw your hands up in the air and say “we don’t have enough”.

Not sure what the solution is but anybody dismissing stats, well you just mentioned one without giving a number and everything in medicine revolves around stats, you might want to get used to it.
The number right now stands at 19% needing hospitalization and 47% of those individuals needing to be admitted to ICU, for a total of ~9% of cases needing intensive care. That is of all positive cases, all age groups. If that number remains steady (pray it doesn't go up) and you see the increase in numbers infected as is being predicted, then the healthcare system is not even close to equipped to deal with that. I just don't understand why you feel that 9% needs to be broken down further. It would be nice to know I guess, but how does it change the situation for the hospitals?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you want to be ultra cautious, buy an EPV200 ventilator if you can find one. They are relatively affordable (<$600) and will save a life if the hospitals run out of bed space. Most supply stores ran out this week though

Thank you! Where can you find it? Would Amazon have it?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

It's ok to be concerned but you also need to put it in perspective. Look at the lastest HWO numbers. The actual official reported numbers worldwide of cases and deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad