Coronavirus - CoVID-19 - Part 3 - Arizona is kinda open now

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Media doesn't want to talk about the dangers of obesity, too many people qualify. Obesity is a result of an unhealthy lifestyle, poor diet, and not enough exercise, for the majority of people. It all gets back to the same thing, take care of your body and it will take care of you, and help you fight off any virus, your risk would be extremely low.
Obesity isn't just a lifestyle and diet issue. There are more complex cases that aren't fully understood by medicine and science.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That might be part of it, but he also says COVID-19 may become endemic, a virus that we live with permanently like HIV.
Yeah I got that too, it's not like it'll just suddenly disappear of the planet anytime soon. As for the disease itself, I think there is either a specific strain that is far more deadly and/or there is a very high genetic component. That seems to best explain the huge variation in response to COVID-19.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Obesity isn't just a lifestyle and diet issue. There are more complex cases that aren't fully understood by medicine and science.

I agree. In some cases there is a genetic link, or underlying medical cause, or could even be mental health related, which is one reason why assuming it's due to being lazy or undisciplined is wrong. However, I'd be willing most people just eat too much and are sedentary, which is why obesity rates have increased so much over the past century.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This is old news. Just more evidence that pre-existing conditions puts a person at much greater risk.

upload_2020-5-13_18-8-56.png

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I agree. In some cases there is a genetic link, or underlying medical cause, or could even be mental health related, which is one reason why assuming it's due to being lazy or undisciplined is wrong. However, I'd be willing most people just eat too much and are sedentary, which is why obesity rates have increased so much over the past century.
I would agree it mostly boils down to CICO.

95% of the time obesity can be corrected by lifestyle/diet. The exceptions are outliers.
I agree, in fact it might even be higher but the mechanics of how to lose weight are less a mystery than the why so many fail to do so. I imagine it's various combinations of nurture, discipline, personal circumstances, genetics, social-economic concerns, environment, time constraints, individual priorities, lifestyle, etc.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I get the beans and deer comment but couldn't one could speculate similarly about most other groups who until relatively recently also had natural diets?
Sure. And people do. Obesity rates are climbing everywhere. Between shifts in diets/genetics to socio-economic factors to psychology. Everybody's got a pet theory, it seems.

Obesity and American Indians/Alaska Natives - The Office of Minority Health

hhs.gov said:
  • American Indian/Alaska Native adolescents are 30 percent more likely than non-Hispanic white adolescents to be obese.
  • American Indian or Alaska Native adults are 50 percent more likely to be obese than non-Hispanic whites.
  • People who are overweight are more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, high levels of blood fats, diabetes and LDL cholesterol – all risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
Obesity and American Indians/Alaska Natives

hhs said:
As a result, the amount of wild and homegrown foods in the AI/AN diet has diminished, and a greater proportion of food is processed and commercially prepared, a trend also seen among the whole U.S. population. Diets historically high in complex carbohydrate/high fiber foods and lower in fat have been replaced by foods high in refined carbohydrates (e.g. refined sugars), fat, sodium, and low in fruits and vegetables (IHS, 2001).

Kumanyika and Grier (2006) review evidence that indicate the higher rates of obesity in racial and ethnic minority and low income communities are associated with a plethora of unfavorable influences - economic stresses, reduced access to affordable healthful foods, opportunities for safe and varied physical activity, overexposure to targeted advertising, and marketing of energy-dense foods.
Like everything else, there is no single answer. But the general observation that the problem exists disproportionately on the reservation(s) isn't really in dispute, imo. And it is linked statistically to severe outcomes for coronavirus infections.

Reactions: Luckylarry

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

San Diego Public Health Officer Dr. Wilma Wooten took issue with Desmond’s characterization "Their life is no less valuable than someone’s life who does not have underlying medical conditions,”

Following the news conference Desmond said in an email: “Any loss of life, for any reason, is worth preventing.”

It is worth preventing, but at what cost? Why don't we lock people in their homes during flu season? I bet most flu deaths are people with comorbidities. Why don't we mandate helmets to drive cars? Would probably prevent a lot of deaths. How about licensing and mandatory training to climb a ladder?

Apparently considering risk/reward means you are an insensitive ass.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's a classic question of consequentialist philosophy that many people are struggling with because they've never examined the questions that society has already done the calculus for.
If people truly thought any death is worth preventing, we would have mandated liquid diets to save the 5,000 young and old who die in the US each year to choking.

We don't because we accept risk as a society in exchange for liberties. But people tackling the issue for the first time are apparently struggling making that distinction.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If we can ban people from going to work, why not ban them from drinking alcohol? (I know...we tried before)

88k alcohol related deaths per year.

How many people wearing a mask regularly throw back a few brews without concern?

Or the elephant in the room...tobacco.

480k smoking related deaths per year.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Virologist hospitalized with coronavirus believes he got it through his eyes

Buried at the bottom of this terrifying story:
NBC said:
Fair has tested negative for COVID-19 four times, but he said that's not surprising, because he waited a while to go to the hospital — so the virus may not be detectable — and the "tests are far and away not 100 percent accurate"

Either this story is completely made up to scaremonger, or there is absolutely zero reason to test anyone.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Mingus Mountain Academy has reported 84 out of 141 students have tested positive for coronavirus as of Wednesday, according to Yavapai County Community Health Services Public Health Coordinator Terri Farneti. Twenty staff members have also tested positive, she reported Thursday morning...
“Initially two students showing symptoms were taken to the hospital to be tested. They were positive, but not hospitalized,” Farneti said. “As of the 60 tested after that, 40 were positive … last the school reported, only one was symptomatic … the rest were asymptomatic.”

Coronavirus outbreak escalates at Mingus Mountain Academy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm so tired of hearing about this virus. It's on all the media outlets 24/7. Today I was in Fry's and I swear, I thought I was in Chi-na. Almost every single person was wearing a mask. The butcher was cutting some meat for me and a customer stood right beside me with a mask on, pulled it down to take to the butcher, and then put it back up when he was finished talking. I just laughed. Then I was checking out and both clerks were wearing masks, so I asked them if they were tired of wearing the masks, one looked at me and rolled her and said something but I couldn't understand her, and the other one pulled her mask down and said she was sick and tired of wearing the mask but had to, she then pulled it back on. What a mess this whole virus thing is. The people will never obey a lock down again, never. The so called experts have cried wolf once too often.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If we can ban people from going to work, why not ban them from drinking alcohol? (I know...we tried before)

88k alcohol related deaths per year.

How many people wearing a mask regularly throw back a few brews without concern?

Or the elephant in the room...tobacco.

480k smoking related deaths per year.

Smoking already has a permanent social distancing plan in place.

Reactions: MIG

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm so tired of hearing about this virus. It's on all the media outlets 24/7. Today I was in Fry's and I swear, I thought I was in Chi-na. Almost every single person was wearing a mask. The butcher was cutting some meat for me and a customer stood right beside me with a mask on, pulled it down to take to the butcher, and then put it back up when he was finished talking. I just laughed. Then I was checking out and both clerks were wearing masks, so I asked them if they were tired of wearing the masks, one looked at me and rolled her and said something but I couldn't understand her, and the other one pulled her mask down and said she was sick and tired of wearing the mask but had to, she then pulled it back on. What a mess this whole virus thing is. The people will never obey a lock down again, never. The so called experts have cried wolf once too often.

Jakey..... you understand the primary purpose of the masks are to prevent the person wearing the mask from transmitting the virus to others. Not the other way around.

You could be infected right now and not even be aware of it..... not show any symptoms..... and maybe never do because you followed Cobra's healthy guy nutrition guide to the letter..... or have some super duper human gene that makes your immune system a CoVID terminator. But you could still end up transmitting the disease to others. Like the guy in Hong Kong who felt so invincible he went bar hopping one night and ended up infecting 40 other people.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I was out and about a little bit today and I wore a mask. I hate it and I don't want to do it but for now I think it's what I should do. I saw a lot of people without masks, I didn't say a word to them or give them any looks of disdain or anything of the sort, I just went about my business. I expect at least the same courtesy from people who choose not to wear one. I'm glad no one decided to get all cocksure about their choice and give me shit for wearing one as that probably would not have ended well for either of us. People are understandably little on edge right now and no one wants to hear from some asshat on his soapbox whether he's wearing a mask or not. So pat yourself on the back all you want for whatever decision you've made but please leave everyone else the f*** alone.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
In my local grocery store I'd say it's about a 3 to 1 ratio in favor of the mask wearers. Ironically, the elderly seem less likely to be wearing than a young person.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey..... you understand the primary purpose of the masks are to prevent the person wearing the mask from transmitting the virus to others. Not the other way around.

You could be infected right now and not even be aware of it..... not show any symptoms..... and maybe never do because you followed Cobra's healthy guy nutrition guide to the letter..... or have some super duper human gene that makes your immune system a CoVID terminator. But you could still end up transmitting the disease to others. Like the guy in Hong Kong who felt so invincible he went bar hopping one night and ended up infecting 40 other people.
Of course I do. It's a virus, like the flu. I don't think any of the data we have can be trusted. The experts want you to believe the data is correct but we all have heard how the deaths are being reported. Speaking of Cobra and vitamins, did you read, whether you believe it or not, that Vitamin D now may help prevent COVID? If you take care of your body, your body will take care of you, for the most part anyway. You could also have the flu virus, so are you wearing a mask?

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was out and about a little bit today and I wore a mask. I hate it and I don't want to do it but for now I think it's what I should do. I saw a lot of people without masks, I didn't say a word to them or give them any looks of disdain or anything of the sort, I just went about my business. I expect at least the same courtesy from people who choose not to wear one. I'm glad no one decided to get all cocksure about their choice and give me shit for wearing one as that probably would not have ended well for either of us. People are understandably little on edge right now and no one wants to hear from some asshat on his soapbox whether he's wearing a mask or not. So pat yourself on the back all you want for whatever decision you've made but please leave everyone else the f*** alone.
I agree, it's a free country (I think) so the choice is yours.

Reactions: doaner

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
In my local grocery store I'd say it's about a 3 to 1 ratio in favor of the mask wearers. Ironically, the elderly seem less likely to be wearing than a young person.
My father (high-risk) apparently went out to get his haircut the first morning and said there was already a line at seven. I asked if he wore a mask, and he cursed me and repeated his mantra that if it gets him, it gets him. My mother is a germaphobe, but wanted to get together for mother's day with everyone. She said she'd rather not live a prisoner, and quality of life was more important to her than avoiding a virus she'd probably still live through.
On the other hand, we're all glad that my grandmother pushing 100 is under lock down at the assisted living facility, even though she also has a rather fatalistic view of the whole thing.

Mask use is on the rise though. I think most people using masks are doing it because they care. I'm not against people choosing to use masks. I just think they are marginally effective against viruses at best, especially when most people using them seem to have no idea how to use them. At worst they are another potential vector when people don't know how to use them. Like gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad