OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The five month old has decided that sleep isn't a necessity for him or me. Propping myself up on coffee and carbs today.
Before I had children I wanted nothing to do with coffee. After my first, the beverage became an occasional indulgence.

Then we had twins. Now coffee and I will fight anybody who comes between us. (And I buy cases of K-cups at Costco.)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Before I had children I wanted nothing to do with coffee. After my first, the beverage became an occasional indulgence.

Then we had twins. Now coffee and I will fight anybody who comes between us. (And I buy cases of K-cups at Costco.)

I have a Bunn coffee maker with a large thermal carafe, so I just make a pot in the morning and it stays hot all day. I love coffee, but started having trouble drinking it late (unless it was decaf, but eh...) so I had to cut back a bit.

Occasionally I switch it up with some tea, a 50/50 mix of English Breakfast and Earl Grey. Or various mints. I had a kidney stone a month or so ago, though, so I'm also pushing more and more water into my day. There are days where I think if I pinched myself hard enough I'd leak.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Coffee is my life blood even if it's hard on my nerves to have more than a small cup at this point. I would never leave the house without my morning cup, even if the house was on fire.

If I had to choose between giving up beer or coffee I wouldn't hesitate to drop beer...and I'm pretty partial to beer. If you took my pandemic collection of cans and dumped it out in my house it would look like Smaug's treasure, in a trashy way, in "The Hobbit".

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Digging into the entire Eric the Midget saga from The Howard Stern Show. All appearances spanning from '02-'14 is 5.8 days of material. The show has fallen off the cliff but archive remains prime entertainment regardless of medium. I'd love a Gilbert and Ramones omnibus too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Coffee is my life blood even if it's hard on my nerves to have more than a small cup at this point. I would never leave the house without my morning cup, even if the house was on fire.

If I had to choose between giving up beer or coffee I wouldn't hesitate to drop beer...and I'm pretty partial to beer. If you took my pandemic collection of cans and dumped it out in my house it would look like Smaug's treasure, in a trashy way, in "The Hobbit".

I felt this so hard.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
What kinda roasts do you brew up? I've been ordering things from all over to try them out, but I always go back to light roasts.

My preference is a medium roast delivered via a french press. If I can score a good Ethiopian bean I go with it. Alas, my frawnch press has bitten the dust and I haven't made the rounds to the local roasters like I used to. Since I limit my trips, I've been going with, what I have found to be some exceptional, inexpensive brands: Seattle's Best and Café Bustelo. The latter I discovered when I lived in a predominantly latino neighborhood in Chicago.

If you have some that you like I'm open to suggestions. I feel like I'm getting stagnant with my pandemic choices.

Question: have you ever tried Civet coffee? It's brewed from beans that were ingested and summarilly crapped out by the little cat/lemur-like creatures. I haven't but I'm curious if it lives up to the hype or if it was a strictly novelty item.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What kinda roasts do you brew up? I've been ordering things from all over to try them out, but I always go back to light roasts.

I am a dark roast guy, absolutely love French roast as my go-to. I went through a pretty big Kenyan coffee bean phase probably like 10 or so years ago. As for new stuff I really like the Arabian Mocha Sanani from Peets.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sheesh, now I feel like the Cousin Eddie of the Griswold Family, with my unsophisticated Dunkin Donuts Medium Roast.

Quick! Say something fancy!

Uh, I also like chai?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I'm currently subscribed to myPanera's coffee subscription as it's free through 9/7. Coffee isn't all that remarkable but it's free! Hehe.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My preference is a medium roast delivered via a french press. If I can score a good Ethiopian bean I go with it. Alas, my frawnch press has bitten the dust and I haven't made the rounds to the local roasters like I used to. Since I limit my trips, I've been going with, what I have found to be some exceptional, inexpensive brands: Seattle's Best and Café Bustelo. The latter I discovered when I lived in a predominantly latino neighborhood in Chicago.

If you have some that you like I'm open to suggestions. I feel like I'm getting stagnant with my pandemic choices.

Question: have you ever tried Civet coffee? It's brewed from beans that were ingested and summarilly crapped out by the little cat/lemur-like creatures. I haven't but I'm curious if it lives up to the hype or if it was a strictly novelty item.

French press guy, eh? I did that for a few years and I've since transitioned to an Aeropress for single serving coffee or my Bonavita coffee maker for larger brews. The big issue I had with French press is having to transfer it to a new container to keep it hot and subsequently the cleanup of several things now. Plus, I'm sure you experienced this, but even a little variation in the timing with a press, and you're getting a completely different flavor. So there I was, sitting my scale and my timer and... well, OK, so I still use a timer and scale. I guess not that much has changed other than easier cleanup.

I was a skeptic first getting the Aeropress, but now I can't live without it. Once you tune in your grind and ratios, you're going to get a fantastic, bitter free cup of coffee. Loved it so much, bought one for work and for home.

If anyone wants an automatic coffee machine recommendation, I absolutely recommend the Bonavita brands. They get hot enough, which is the most important part. If you want to do better, I think you need to buy one of those $200 Technivorm handmade machines from the Netherlands. I bought the smaller 5 cup Bonavita version and I find it the perfect amount to drink through the morning or for two guests after dinner. Very consistent cup of coffee and it has a built-in bloom mode if you want that sort of thing.

For a grinder, I hated all the electric grinders I bought so I end up hand grinding everything in a Hario Skerton. The things we do for love addiction.

Now, for the actual coffee!

My national brand recommendation is Caribou Coffee Daybreak. This is a super clean, crisp cup of morning coffee. Of all the big brands you can find in Target or the groceries stores, I think this one holds up with any of them. Give it a go and let me know what you guys think. Bonus points because Caribou is a local Minnesota outfit.

I was looking for something on Amazon that would ship decent priced whole bean coffee and came across Wink out of Houston. And actually, they aren't bad! I'd say it's basically the same quality as more grocery store brands, but it's got a better value price, assuming you can drink it quick enough before the huge bag goes stale. I tried the light, medium, and dark roasts and recommend all 3, but liked the light the best.

The absolute best coffee is going to be at your local roaster. But barring that, I'd say give Caribou or Wink a crack for some good and economical options.

I am a dark roast guy, absolutely love French roast as my go-to. I went through a pretty big Kenyan coffee bean phase probably like 10 or so years ago. As for new stuff I really like the Arabian Mocha Sanani from Peets.

My dad was the same way. Everything was very rich, bold flavors. I find people that enjoy their steak more well done prefer those dark roasts. Does that simplistic comparison hold true for you?

LOL Dunkin Donuts was my gateway coffee to all the fancy stuff.

Absolutely. Aoubt 15 years ago during my first real job, when the stress of everything to do was piling up, Dunkin was my warm hug each morning. Still is some days.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
F
My national brand recommendation is Caribou Coffee Daybreak. This is a super clean, crisp cup of morning coffee. Of all the big brands you can find in Target or the groceries stores, I think this one holds up with any of them. Give it a go and let me know what you guys think. Bonus points because Caribou is a local Minnesota outfit.

Thumbs up on Caribou. I miss the cafes they had around these parts.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
French press guy, eh? I did that for a few years and I've since transitioned to an Aeropress for single serving coffee or my Bonavita coffee maker for larger brews. The big issue I had with French press is having to transfer it to a new container to keep it hot and subsequently the cleanup of several things now. Plus, I'm sure you experienced this, but even a little variation in the timing with a press, and you're getting a completely different flavor. So there I was, sitting my scale and my timer and... well, OK, so I still use a timer and scale. I guess not that much has changed other than easier cleanup.

I was a skeptic first getting the Aeropress, but now I can't live without it. Once you tune in your grind and ratios, you're going to get a fantastic, bitter free cup of coffee. Loved it so much, bought one for work and for home.

If anyone wants an automatic coffee machine recommendation, I absolutely recommend the Bonavita brands. They get hot enough, which is the most important part. If you want to do better, I think you need to buy one of those $200 Technivorm handmade machines from the Netherlands. I bought the smaller 5 cup Bonavita version and I find it the perfect amount to drink through the morning or for two guests after dinner. Very consistent cup of coffee and it has a built-in bloom mode if you want that sort of thing.

For a grinder, I hated all the electric grinders I bought so I end up hand grinding everything in a Hario Skerton. The things we do for love addiction.

Now, for the actual coffee!

I was looking for something on Amazon that would ship decent priced whole bean coffee and came across Wink out of Houston. And actually, they aren't bad! I'd say it's basically the same quality as more grocery store brands, but it's got a better value price, assuming you can drink it quick enough before the huge bag goes stale. I tried the light, medium, and dark roasts and recommend all 3, but liked the light the best.

The absolute best coffee is going to be at your local roaster. But barring that, I'd say give Caribou or Wink a crack for some good and economical options.

My dad was the same way. Everything was very rich, bold flavors. I find people that enjoy their steak more well done prefer those dark roasts. Does that simplistic comparison hold true for you?

Absolutely. Aoubt 15 years ago during my first real job, when the stress of everything to do was piling up, Dunkin was my warm hug each morning. Still is some days.

The aeropress sounds like a revelation. I will absolutely look into that. The french press is a pain in the arse in many ways, as stated. And, given the fact I wake up at the craptastic time of 4:30 a.m. for work, simple is better.

I can get behind the Caribou recommendation. It was pretty much the only chain coffee store I went to in Columbus or here. I'll have to reach out to my fellow statesmen where to get it because I haven't seen any of their products for several years. There used to be a shop a couple miles up the road but it closed years ago. It blows my mind how Caribou has gone by the wayside while Bigby, who brews coffee that tastes like bong water, thrives here.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The aeropress sounds like a revelation. I will absolutely look into that. The french press is a pain in the arse in many ways, as stated. And, given the fact I wake up at the craptastic time of 4:30 a.m. for work, simple is better.

Honestly the only downside is it only makes a single cup. Other than that, it's really low hassle. Can't recommend it enough! Think they run about $30. After the press, you spit out the puck of grounds and filter into the trash. A quick rinse with water and cleanup is done. Just like your normal French press, you'll need to get the grind size and water ratio dialed in for your particular brew. It will take a few cups until you hit that perfect sweet spot for your taste.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Oh hell no, I am a rare steak guy. I have a sous vide so I can dial in the perfect amount of rareness. I did have a Caribou coffee in my neighborhood when I lived in Chicago, man does that take me back.

Reactions: Bench

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Wife had me make some dalgona coffee this morning. I'm not a fan,but she loved it. It was really cheap instant coffee, going to try it again with the bustelo instant and see how different the flavor is. Might just not be my thing.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Sounds like MLB just had a teamwide outbreak. Playing sports is going to be tough in the US. England just completed the EPL season yesterday.

Reactions: MBH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad