OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
At least you’ve seen your team win a Super Bowl....?

:dunno:

Nope. Happened two years before I started watching the NFL. My earliest memory of the Bears that stands out is them getting slapped around by Montana and San Francisco. And Singletary's eyes.

5b44d00f751c4.image.jpg

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nope. Happened two years before I started watching the NFL. My earliest memory of the Bears that stands out is them getting slapped around by Montana and San Francisco. And Singletary's eyes.

5b44d00f751c4.image.jpg

This is my earliest of being a Vikings fan:

pretty much summarizes the years that followed as well... lol

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is my earliest of being a Vikings fan:

pretty much summarizes the years that followed as well... lol

Oddly enough, it was a Vikings game that officially ended my Lions fandom.

The Lions were hosting Minnesota and were losing badly, per usual. I was at the game with some friends, who kept insisting that Detroit would make a comeback. For more than three quarters, I refused to get sucked in, knowing the Lions couldn't do it, even as Joey "Blue Skies" Harrington managed a couple of touchdown drives.

Then late in the fourth quarter, Detroit scored again, cutting the lead to just one point. I was astounded that the Lions were actually going to do it. They had finally mounted a comeback against a decent team, and by gum, they were going to win this game. For the first time in years, I really truly believed in the team and got my hopes up.

And then, finding yet another way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Don Muhlbach botched the snap on an extra point. Lions lose 28-27.

That was in 2004, and I haven't rooted for this godforsaken franchise since.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Oddly enough, it was a Vikings game that officially ended my Lions fandom.

The Lions were hosting Minnesota and were losing badly, per usual. I was at the game with some friends, who kept insisting that Detroit would make a comeback. For more than three quarters, I refused to get sucked in, knowing the Lions couldn't do it, even as Joey "Blue Skies" Harrington managed a couple of touchdown drives.

Then late in the fourth quarter, Detroit scored again, cutting the lead to just one point. I was astounded that the Lions were actually going to do it. They had finally mounted a comeback against a decent team, and by gum, they were going to win this game. For the first time in years, I really truly believed in the team and got my hopes up.

And then, finding yet another way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Don Muhlbach botched the snap on an extra point. Lions lose 28-27.

That was in 2004, and I haven't rooted for this godforsaken franchise since.

I'm not much of a football or baseball fan but really? Not even during prime Stafford to Megatron days? Because even I couldn't help but see what it was about at that time.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

5b44d00f751c4.image.jpg
Well at least you don't have to hide your face in shame for having loved Super bowl Shuffle. I mean the lions have not won a SB in my life and probably never will, but at least we never had a player who referred to himself as the punky qb and none of our all class players ever embarrassed themselves in such a way (Walter Payton what were you thinking?)
But hey our coach is probably a rapist and many still support him and that's way worse than being punky.

Reactions: Winger98

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm not much of a football or baseball fan but really? Not even during prime Stafford to Megatron days? Because even I couldn't help but see what it was about at that time.
I gave up on the Lions a long time ago. It's great to have my Sundays free and not have a care in the world about the NFL or the Lions. I do hope they win it all some year for the hard core fans, but the only way you could ever get me to watch a Lions game would be if they were in the Super Bowl. So yeah, feel pretty confident I won't be watching a Lions game ever again.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I gave up on the Lions a long time ago. It's great to have my Sundays free and not have a care in the world about the NFL or the Lions. I do hope they win it all some year for the hard core fans, but the only way you could ever get me to watch a Lions game would be if they were in the Super Bowl. So yeah, feel pretty confident I won't be watching a Lions game ever again.

Haven't watched more than a quarter of Lions football since Sanders retired. He was worth watching.

Reactions: RedMenace

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

I don't know I feel like the Fords selling the team to owners who care more about winning games and show it by bringing in a murderers' row of a management staff would make a lot of former fans at least say, "Alright yeah I need to see what this is about." But that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't know I feel like the Fords selling the team to owners who care more about winning games and show it by bringing in a murderers' row of a management staff would make a lot of former fans at least say, "Alright yeah I need to see what this is about." But that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Honestly, they just haven't hired the right coach. The teams have had, many years, as much talent on them as the Packers. Obviously Rodgers was on a different level, but Stafford is no joke. And the Lions defense was often better than what the Pack had.

I look over the roster and I'm like, "This team should be way better."

Easy to blame ownership and such, but in football, if you don't lock down the right coach it will derail everything. Whereas in hockey, coaching seems to be a minor piece to the big puzzle, I'd argue NFL coaching is basically as important as your QB.

The longer they let Patricia keep trying his thing, the longer they'll waste Stafford. You got maybe 4 good years in him before that ironman body probably breaks down. This off-season I would have been looking for a talented offensive mind to unlock his potential, ala Andy Reid style.

Oh well. Been rough watching talents like Megatron get wasted over the years.

Reactions: FabricDetails

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Honestly, they just haven't hired the right coach. The teams have had, many years, as much talent on them as the Packers. Obviously Rodgers was on a different level, but Stafford is no joke. And the Lions defense was often better than what the Pack had.

I look over the roster and I'm like, "This team should be way better."

Easy to blame ownership and such, but in football, if you don't lock down the right coach it will derail everything. Whereas in hockey, coaching seems to be a minor piece to the big puzzle, I'd argue NFL coaching is basically as important as your QB.

The longer they let Patricia keep trying his thing, the longer they'll waste Stafford. You got maybe 4 good years in him before that ironman body probably breaks down. This off-season I would have been looking for a talented offensive mind to unlock his potential, ala Andy Reid style.

Oh well. Been rough watching talents like Megatron get wasted over the years.
this-guy-gets-it.jpg

It's almost comical, how often they put themselves in a bad spot. For example, sign a guy like Tre Flowers for major free agent dollars. In New England he was successful by moving him around the line, to create misdirection and take advantage of the chaos. In Detroit? Leave him by himself to handle double teams (then wonder why his production falls off a cliff).

Point gun at foot. Shoot. Repeat.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Haven't watched more than a quarter of Lions football since Sanders retired. He was worth watching.

Not the fastest all-out runner or a truck up the middle, but his explosiveness (explocivity?), balance, stability, and agility were (and still are, in my opinion) beyond comparison. I swear his ankles were made of rubber bands:

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH and jkutswings

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yep, the Fords are just awful owners. It's their plaything and obviously whatever they want to do with their plaything is their right.

I remember fans wanting Mike Ilitch to buy the Lions given his success with the Red Wings and finally turning the Tigers around. I don't know that there's another Mike Ilitch around but at least with the Fords they will never move the team. And there are obviously plenty of fans to guarantee they will make loads of money and the franchise valuation will continue to skyrocket. So no real need for change I suppose.

Reactions: FabricDetails

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not the fastest all-out runner or a truck up the middle, but his explosiveness (explocivity?), balance, stability, and agility were (and still are, in my opinion) beyond comparison. I swear his ankles were made of rubber bands:

Having Datsyuk and Sanders... in one town, for the better part of 30 years.
Not many sports fans can boast about that kind of treat.

I was only marginally interested in the Lions. I just watched to see him do his thing.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Having Datsyuk and Sanders... in one town, for the better part of 30 years.
Not many sports fans can boast about that kind of treat.

I was only marginally interested in the Lions. I just watched to see him do his thing.

I always try to watch the Thanksgiving Day games... it's a bit of a tradition in my family. Otherwise, yeah, football never did much for me either.

Barry, though... worth watching every game I could, which wasn't many since my Detroit parents moved to the south before I was born. Blech.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I actually gave up on the Lions right after Barry retired. I agree, he alone was worth watching. The Wayne Fontes era was quite the roller coaster.

Reactions: RedMenace

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The five month old has decided that sleep isn't a necessity for him or me. Propping myself up on coffee and carbs today.

I actually gave up on the Lions right after Barry retired. I agree, he alone was worth watching. The Wayne Fontes era was quite the roller coaster.

At least it was entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad