OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
First time in net in 6.5 months. Rink has us wearing a mask under our mask. It's gonna be interesting to figure out.

My skating is gonna be dogshit today.

wernf.jpg

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
We don't do anything in it when it is real bad because you can't...

It's generally pretty nice in early morning or late evening. But really your winter months when you're stuck inside are just swapped for summer months where it is too hot. At least that is my experience, you're not doing much down here in July and August kind of like January and February up north.
Early mornings are great! How's the wind been by you, blowing like the dickens here about an hour north, just stopped today luckily.

My buddy is visiting tomorrow from Northern Michigan where it is dumping rain the next week and hitting low 50s to enjoying my pool in the high 80s low 90s.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Does anyone watch Critical Role or play DnD?

My current DnD character is named Datsyuk. He's an Elven Sharpshooting Rogue.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Early mornings are great! How's the wind been by you, blowing like the dickens here about an hour north, just stopped today luckily.

My buddy is visiting tomorrow from Northern Michigan where it is dumping rain the next week and hitting low 50s to enjoying my pool in the high 80s low 90s.

We have had a very windy month. I used to work for a sailing school before moving over into the current job, so most of my buddies down here from the old place have been having a blast all month.

I will say as someone that has to go back and forth to Tampa every once in a while, the Sarasota traffic on I-75 always drives me a little nuts. Like I just don't think it should be as busy as it is every time...:laugh:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
We have had a very windy month. I used to work for a sailing school before moving over into the current job, so most of my buddies down here from the old place have been having a blast all month.

I will say as someone that has to go back and forth to Tampa every once in a while, the Sarasota traffic on I-75 always drives me a little nuts. Like I just don't think it should be as busy as it is every time...:laugh:
I hear that...

Beer or soda pop on me next time you pass through Sarasota my HFBoard brethren.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Does anyone watch Critical Role or play DnD?

My current DnD character is named Datsyuk. He's an Elven Sharpshooting Rogue.

I don't feel like I need to out myself as someone who had dabbled in dungeons and/or dragons.

You all already know how rad I am.

Reactions: jkutswings

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I never found a real go-to place for fried chicken here. We moved out of Cleveland/Shaker Heights about...7 years ago? And are now in the west suburbs to make the trip home to Michigan a little easier for holidays and such. Always wanted to try hot sauce williams, but didn't make a point of it and now they're out of business. Just fell back into popeyes and KFC. @Bench got me going to Raising Cane's, which just opened in Rocky River. It really didn't help The Wife went vegetarian on me.

The food I've had the best luck with is Asian and seafood. The little Asian part of cleveland around the E. 30th streets is just packed with great food options. Really like Korea House and Map of Thailand. Pier W is just a beautiful place to have dinner. Go on a weekday when it's not too busy, go at night, and wait for a seat near the glass. Downtown Cleveland actually looks nice. Nighttown had nice food.

Always wished we had the opportunity to spend more time in Little Italy, but it just never happened. Parking was such a pain in the butt in that area.

Oh, and SASA in Shaker Square. Their food was good, but their martinis were killer. We ordered second ones before the first hit because they were just so smooth we didn't realize what we were getting into. Fun night.

I'll make fun of Cleveland, but there is a lot of good food packed into the area at a lot of different price points. really wanted to try the Shrimp&Fish Boat on Kinsman, too. Just never made it.

You mentioned Chinese food - You ever had the dish called Lion's Head? The first time I had it was while living in Cleveland.

"Lion's Head (simplified Chinese: 狮子头; traditional Chinese: 獅子頭; pinyin: Shīzitóu) or stewed meatball is a dish from the Huaiyang cuisine of eastern China, consisting of large pork meatballs stewed with vegetables. There are two varieties: white (or plain), and red (红烧, cooked with soy sauce). The plain variety is usually stewed or steamed with napa cabbage. The red variety can be stewed with cabbage or cooked with bamboo shoots and tofu derivatives. The minced meat rich in fat is more likely to bring better texture, addition of chopped water chestnut also works."

It's so good. I'm struggling to remember which restaurant I had it at in the Cleveland area. It's not a super common dish either from what I remember. For some reason, Richmond road is what I remember and on that road is a restaurant called Hunan East. That sounds kind of right but again, it's been almost 10 years.

Reactions: Winger98

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Now that I'm finally able to post in an OT thread in this section, has anyone here seen The Loud House? Not only is it the best Nickelodeon show ever, it is set in a city based on the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak. Thus if real teams could be mentioned on the show, Lynn would be a fan of all the major Detroit teams.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Now that I'm finally able to post in an OT thread in this section, has anyone here seen The Loud House? Not only is it the best Nickelodeon show ever, it is set in a city based on the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak. Thus if real teams could be mentioned on the show, Lynn would be a fan of all the major Detroit teams.

Ehhh. I’d slow your roll on best Nickelodeon show ever.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty damn good one... but I could very easily not include it in the top 5

Spongebob
Hey Arnold
Rocko’s Modern Life
Rugrats
Danny Phantom

I am pretty partial to Butch Hartman shows though... as his teenage home and my childhood home are literally one street away from one another in New Baltimore.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What happened to Interstellar and Dunkirk?

They werent action packed but they were both really good movies. They have an average of like 8.3 on IMDB. If youre using movies that highly rated to say hes all hype then hes doing something right.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Ehhh. I’d slow your roll on best Nickelodeon show ever.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty damn good one... but I could very easily not include it in the top 5

Spongebob
Hey Arnold
Rocko’s Modern Life
Rugrats
Danny Phantom

I am pretty partial to Butch Hartman shows though... as his teenage home and my childhood home are literally one street away from one another in New Baltimore.

I was always partial to the bizarro plots in "The Adventures of Pete and Pete". Iggy Pop was in it, after all.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
First time in net in 6.5 months. Rink has us wearing a mask under our mask. It's gonna be interesting to figure out.

My skating is gonna be dogshit today.

Amazingly, after the first bit to go out early and set up the net where I felt like Bambi a bit, it was not bad. Wearing the mask was uncomfortable for the first period because it kept shifting. But I reset it in the first intermission and it was not bad the rest of the way.

One softie off two deflections (because I played passively... I mean, damn thing hit me in the chest and went up and in) and one screened shot where I couldn't see the shooter at all and we lose 2-1. The 1 actually was scored on a delayed PP that I reacted to and did the skate to the far bench (2nd period). In the second, I did face basically a penalty shot. Guy got sprung for a breakaway from just outside of his zone. That one felt good to stop.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Amazingly, after the first bit to go out early and set up the net where I felt like Bambi a bit, it was not bad. Wearing the mask was uncomfortable for the first period because it kept shifting. But I reset it in the first intermission and it was not bad the rest of the way.

One softie off two deflections (because I played passively... I mean, damn thing hit me in the chest and went up and in) and one screened shot where I couldn't see the shooter at all and we lose 2-1. The 1 actually was scored on a delayed PP that I reacted to and did the skate to the far bench (2nd period). In the second, I did face basically a penalty shot. Guy got sprung for a breakaway from just outside of his zone. That one felt good to stop.

I need to find a better mask under mask solution.

it moves around too much. I got absolutely shelled in a game last night. It’s rough playing that team I played under normal circumstances, but dealing with essentially water boarding myself and slightly lessened oxygen because I’m wearing a mask close up made all the quarter inches of trying to make stops go bleh...

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

it moves around too much. I got absolutely shelled in a game last night. It’s rough playing that team I played under normal circumstances, but dealing with essentially water boarding myself and slightly lessened oxygen because I’m wearing a mask close up made all the quarter inches of trying to make stops go bleh...

Thoughts? Supposed to be dry-wicking and yet still protective.

UA SPORTSMASK

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Depends what your end goal is. If it's just to have the illusion of a mask, there's lots of options that you'll barely notice. Those thin gaiters that are so popular essentially do nothing and let you breathe freely. Shouldn't collect too much moisture, they are all polyester.

But anything actually designed to stop particles is going to catch moisture and restrict breathing.

It's a tough spot to be in. I see all kinds of masks advertising breathability, but almost always that's a strong indication it's not going to be nearly as protective.

Best bet looks like that UA one linked.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Depends what your end goal is. If it's just to have the illusion of a mask, there's lots of options that you'll barely notice. Those thin gaiters that are so popular essentially do nothing and let you breathe freely. Shouldn't collect too much moisture, they are all polyester.

But anything actually designed to stop particles is going to catch moisture and restrict breathing.

It's a tough spot to be in. I see all kinds of masks advertising breathability, but almost always that's a strong indication it's not going to be nearly as protective.

Best bet looks like that UA one linked.

Yeah, I’m going for the protection of it. Guys in my league are saying like “oh, the rink doesn’t care” and you can wear whatever... but I care. I haven’t been doing what I’ve been doing to stay safe to toss it away now. I just need to come up with something that doesn’t move. It’s less the air and waterboarding than it is if I go down to freeze the puck, the loops push around on my ear and the mask moves around. I think I need to find a solution like the N-95 mask where it’s straps around the back of your head to hold it super tight. Because normal mask wearing is good, but when you’re bouncing your head up and down and all around to react to shots, the ear held masks don’t hold tight.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, I’m going for the protection of it. Guys in my league are saying like “oh, the rink doesn’t care” and you can wear whatever... but I care.

Glad to hear that. Unfortunately it will limit your best options for working out in, but you're doing the right thing.

I just need to come up with something that doesn’t move. [...] I think I need to find a solution like the N-95 mask where it’s straps around the back of your head to hold it super tight. Because normal mask wearing is good, but when you’re bouncing your head up and down and all around to react to shots, the ear held masks don’t hold tight.

Search "mask extender" and you'll see all kinds of options for straps that take the pressure off the ears and transfer it to the back of the head. There's a million kinds available, so you'll have to find one that works for your helmet in terms of movement and comfort. But I think something make of elastic like this could do the job. You'd just have find the right head position for it.

EXE20__41126.1588017430.1280.1280.jpg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Glad to hear that. Unfortunately it will limit your best options for working out in, but you're doing the right thing.

Search "mask extender" and you'll see all kinds of options for straps that take the pressure off the ears and transfer it to the back of the head. There's a million kinds available, so you'll have to find one that works for your helmet in terms of movement and comfort. But I think something make of elastic like this could do the job. You'd just have find the right head position for it.

EXE20__41126.1588017430.1280.1280.jpg

Yeah, that seems pretty legit. It really is something that I need to sort out because it's really hard to play and have fun when you're constantly thinking about it. Gave up 9 yesterday, and a good 6 of them were just complete dogshit goals to give up because I kept getting unfocused.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, that seems pretty legit. It really is something that I need to sort out because it's really hard to play and have fun when you're constantly thinking about it. Gave up 9 yesterday, and a good 6 of them were just complete dogshit goals to give up because I kept getting unfocused.

You don't have to explain it to me, brother. This is the mental game we deal with that is so underappreciated by the masses.

I haven't played in years but about once a year I'll still have a "nightmare" where I give up basically every single shot in a game. Or I'll be adjusting my glove and then can't get it on in time because the play somehow not only started in the last second but is immediately upon me.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
You don't have to explain it to me, brother. This is the mental game we deal with that is so underappreciated by the masses.

I haven't played in years but about once a year I'll still have a "nightmare" where I give up basically every single shot in a game. Or I'll be adjusting my glove and then can't get it on in time because the play somehow not only started in the last second but is immediately upon me.

Oh I know. It just helps me to remind myself that it happens to the best of us. It was a game where the team I was filling in for was basically the 19-20 Wings against the 19-20 Lightning. Just woefully underskilled against them. It was a team of mid 20s-early 30s guys against a team with me as the youngest player at 36. Love the guys which is why I'll play with them whenever, but we just will have those games cause they're mid-50s and up. You know the feeling though... of goals that you should stop versus goals that you have no chance on? Like if I just get turned inside out by beer league Pavel Datsyuk? Kudos to that guy. But if I give up a softy right through the fivehole, I'm pissed.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So... Donald has COVID. What an insane time we’re living in.

In addition to this, we also now have to worry if he somehow spread it to Biden, his debate challenger, on Tuesday.

What a wild final month to an already pretty wild timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad