The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-10-5_22-30-12.png

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That is the hope. Way too early to just assume that it won't though.

I have heard too many reports of young athletes having difficulty resuming their usual level of cardio fitness after COVID. Like local college swimmers and runners who are months past recovery yet still not able to match their previous results.

I think this is a case where the average weekend gym rat isn't going to really notice long-term. But if you're in that competitive athlete group where your times are measured in tenths of a second, it's going to show up.

For hockey players, and especially one as incredibly talented as McDavid - we may not even notice even if he did lose 5% of his respiratory function a few months out. But I suspect, we'll see fringe guys, where the margins are already tight for them, get pushed out due to not coming back strong from COVID.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Searching for issues of Hockey Stars Presents Tuff Guys. Emphasis on the issues featuring Probert on the cover. I have only been able to find one issue (a Tony Twist cover) on E-Bay in 12+ months of searching. Hard to track down and very little info on the net. If you have issues you would be interested in selling please hit me up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wouldn't assume I'm going to get hit by a car crossing the street tomorrow.
McDavid will be fine.

That's not remotely equivalent and I think you know that.

I'm not saying he's going to have long term complications... but I think it is way too early to just say "oh, he's fine!" Other people who have contracted it have had cardiovascular issues... including collegiate athletes who were able to get back to intense workouts and then had to stop.

Likely? He'll be fine and run through it in peak shape. But to just toss out that idea lessens the caution we should be feeling.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The lockdowns more than the pandemic.
You can't shut down people's businesses, cancel their jobs, cancel all the they like to do -- for 7 months - without social fabric fraying.
True. And I'd imagine there are a lot of very frustrated - even desperate - people out there.

I'd also hope that any of them with half a brain would know that kidnapping a state official isn't the answer.

Regardless of the pandemic or disagreements over politics, there are some real goofballs out there.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
True. And I'd imagine there are a lot of very frustrated - even desperate - people out there.

I'd also hope that any of them with half a brain would know that kidnapping a state official isn't the answer.

Regardless of the pandemic or disagreements over politics, there are some real goofballs out there.

I'll argue all day and all night. Plotting violence? Other than a well placed hockey stick in the ribs... is not acceptable.
Good to see Sen. Shirkey calling it what it is. Traitorous.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yeah, it's unfortunate they jumped the gun and got so much publicity.

Even at time of publication, it was warned this study needed to be replicated. That's how these studies work, we wait for additional replication.

Fortunately, that's ongoing now!

As evidence builds that COVID-19 can damage the heart, doctors are racing to understand it

But that's just one study looking at heart damage. Even if we throw it out entirely, there are others that have shown the virus present in the heart via autopsy.

Association of Cardiac Infection With SARS-CoV-2 in Confirmed COVID-19 Autopsy Cases

We'll have a much better picture in the next year. There's dozens of studies happening now that will help sort out the extent of damage, if any, and how much.

Right now it looks like it does... Probably. But we're still in the early phases, so that will change as we get new info.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Keep your eyes open in the next few weeks.
Even as cases continued to rise, the serious numbers were flat or falling in Michigan. Until about 2 weeks ago. The count for ICU beds continued to fall... from 1574 down to 130. But since then, it's rose to about 218.
If this number continues to rise, you might want to start curtailing your behavior by the time November starts.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If this number continues to rise, you might want to start curtailing your behavior by the time November starts.
I think behavior needs to change before then. The combination of Halloween and Election Day within a few days of each other has the potential to spread a lot of new cases before symptoms develop in the carriers.

Add the start of cold and flu season, and November might bring some nasty statistics. I hope I'm wrong, but all the ingredients seem to coincide.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Keep your eyes open in the next few weeks.
Even as cases continued to rise, the serious numbers were flat or falling in Michigan. Until about 2 weeks ago. The count for ICU beds continued to fall... from 1574 down to 130. But since then, it's rose to about 218.

So wait, is it a big deal to you or not? Because for about three or four months you were saying "Hey, let's do what Sweden's doing because they're so much better than us" in the face of data that didn't support your hypothesis. Then you see one data point and all of a sudden "Hey, you guys might want to change what you're thinking and doing because it could get bad".

Like I'm not against turning the leaf in light of new evidence... it just seems odd to turn hard left on something like this. I mean, it's not a new worry that having the cold and flu season hit would exacerbate the trouble facing protocols against COVID. In fact, it's probably the thing that most people have been worried about ever since the numbers crested for a while back in April and May.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So wait, is it a big deal to you or not? Because for about three or four months you were saying "Hey, let's do what Sweden's doing because they're so much better than us" in the face of data that didn't support your hypothesis. Then you see one data point and all of a sudden "Hey, you guys might want to change what you're thinking and doing because it could get bad".

Like I'm not against turning the leaf in light of new evidence... it just seems odd to turn hard left on something like this. I mean, it's not a new worry that having the cold and flu season hit would exacerbate the trouble facing protocols against COVID. In fact, it's probably the thing that most people have been worried about ever since the numbers crested for a while back in April and May.

From May to Now, no. Not a big deal to me.
My concern is what it was like in March-April and early May.

I'm not one of the Kool-Aid drinkers who believe Gov. Whitmer's laws reduced COVID and would have done away with it if not for those few anti-maskers.
That's about as unscientific as it gets.

This thing is seasonal. It smashed us.
Then it moved south and smashed them.
Now it's going to move north again.

There's a study on other coronaviruses in Michigan that suggests these viruses don't usually have back-to-back strong seasons.
cornavirus-seasons-jpg.372337

But does that mean this past season was a strong year or weak year?
I don't know.
Also, coronavirus seasons tend to start earlier than the one we had. What will it look like if we have a full season???
Was the last one cut short because of when it got here? I don't know.

But I follow the data. I'm a lot more worried about a virus when it's killing 3400 old people a month than when it's killing 150 old people a month.

So if seasonality matters, keep your eyes open for the next season.

Attachments

• cornavirus seasons.jpg
    cornavirus seasons.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 16

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
From May to Now, no. Not a big deal to me.
My concern is what it was like in March-April and early May.

I'm not one of the Kool-Aid drinkers who believe Gov. Whitmer's laws reduced COVID and would have done away with it if not for those few anti-maskers.
That's about as unscientific as it gets.

This thing is seasonal. It smashed us.
Then it moved south and smashed them.
Now it's going to move north again.

There's a study on other coronaviruses in Michigan that suggests these viruses don't usually have back-to-back strong seasons.
cornavirus-seasons-jpg.372337

But does that mean this past season was a strong year or weak year?
I don't know.
Also, coronavirus seasons tend to start earlier than the one we had. What will it look like if we have a full season???
Was the last one cut short because of when it got here? I don't know.

But I follow the data. I'm a lot more worried about a virus when it's killing 3400 old people a month than when it's killing 150 old people a month.

So if seasonality matters, keep your eyes open for the next season.

Ok. I can understand that some. I don’t agree, because I think the caseload itself has been worrisome that it is still spreading so hard and so far heading into what we expect is going to be a bad seasonal affliction. And while this is a coronavirus... it’s a novel one that we are still through today are learning new things about. The data is guessing at what will happen.

The guess is that summer would slow it... it didn’t. The guess is that the sports leagues were crazy to think a bubble would work.. the bubbles held.

There is the downfall of following data too because if you focus too hard on one dataset, you see the trees and not the forest. Vice verse, if you try to look too globally, you lose context that makes sense.

Lastly, I think there is too much evidence of things like Sweden vs. Nordic countries to dispute the effectiveness of lockdowns and masks at doing things. Sweden’s numbers of infected and dead are on the order of 10 times of any of its neighbors if you adjust for the differences in population.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
With all that said, I'm now looking to purchase a stationary exercise bike. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->