Waived: Corey Tropp; claimed by Columbus

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I like Tropp. I don't think he was given enough time to come back from his injuries and evaluate what he could offer the Sabres long term.
That's one reason I don't like this move.

The second reason is that the guy they got is one of Ted Nolan's hockey camp guys. Makes me wonder how much objectivity there is in the decision making process.

The biggest reason I don't like the move is that they need a GM to be making these moves. Lafontaine stated from the get go that he is not qualified to be a GM, yet here he is, acting as a GM and making a lot of moves. It's apparent that Ted Nolan is behind most of the moves that have been made. I just have to wonder how potential GM candidates view what's going on here with the Nolan/Lafontaine connection and wonder where or how they might fit in.

While I understand that Nolan and Lafontaine want to move the team forward, I think that every move they make in absence of a GM makes filling the new GM position tougher and tougher. Lafontaine has already said he's not qualified to be a GM. Yet here they are, making move after move after move. How is this going to sit with whomever they hire as GM? Quite frankly, I'd be wondering if it was implicit that Nolan remain as permanent head coach and how much power he (Nolan)has to make personnel decisions. How would you like to come into that situation as the new GM?

This sounds like a post that would be made if LaFontaine traded Miller before hiring a GM. It's not like they've done anything major, and why shouldn't Nolan have input on the moves? He's the coach of the team. Also, lets not pretend that these decisions are made solely by just Patty or Teddy or anyone... there's obviously input from tons of people on any personnel move. So far, they sent two teenage defensemen down, called up two older prospects in the AHL that earned promotions through their play, called up Sulzer, and now Tropp/D'Agostini. It appears that the GM search is going to be thorough given that it's been two weeks, so there might not be a GM for a while... should they just make no roster moves until then?

I appreciated Tropp's hard work, and that can get you somewhere in the NHL, but he just never really offered much with his play. Realistically, what's his ceiling as a NHLer? Decent 3rd line guy? It looks dumb to just lose a guy on waivers like this, but players like Tropp grow on trees.

Last edited:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Its not just about compete. Its about playing smart hockey and doing the little things that help your team win. Tropp doesn't do those little things very well, particularly defensively. In fact he is horrible defensively and because of that he is a liability when he is on the ice. He has the worst on ice Corsi on the team among forwards as well as the worst goals against/per 60min.

Yes he hustles. But he accomplishes very little of what he is suppose to while he is hustling.

Agreed, great post.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
7 pages on Corey Tropp? Much of the criticism directed at Regier over the years was his overvaluation and over-attachment to some of his players. That rings familiar in this thread.

I liked Tropp, seemed like a class kid who hustled, and I hope he is successful in Columbus, but his loss (or retention, if we were discussing that) is so far removed from anything consequential in terms of this team moving forward it's funny. Tropp was an effective 4th liner a couple years ago (and those types are important, no doubt), hasn't been nearly the same since, and his loss (or potential worth as an asset) is, while notable, somewhat meaningless within the context of a massive rebuild. I expect there to be more of these moves going forward.

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
We'll take him...especially since we can't keep anyone on the ice for more than a couple games. Where does the nickname "Milkbag" come from?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
We'll take him...especially since we can't keep anyone on the ice for more than a couple games. Where does the nickname "Milkbag" come from?

Don't expect Tropp to help you there. One of the reasons (if not the main reason) he was cut was because he plays with his head down and constantly puts himself in positions to get blown up.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
This is like intentionally leaving $10 on the sidewalk in front of your house when you are poor. Losing the money alone isn't going to kill your future, but why do it? I could name 10 players on the roster I think factor into the team's future less than Tropp could have, and several guys we already know WOULD have made it through waivers. Not a good start from Lafontaine, IMO.

If you are trying to build a culture of compete and don't care too much about winning this season, Tropp should have been allowed the chance to improve while he out-competed most of the other guys on the team. No reason not to keep him.

Bravo sir!

Well written.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
7 pages on Corey Tropp? Much of the criticism directed at Regier over the years was his overvaluation and over-attachment to some of his players. That rings familiar in this thread.

I liked Tropp, seemed like a class kid who hustled, and I hope he is successful in Columbus, but his loss (or retention, if we were discussing that) is so far removed from anything consequential in terms of this team moving forward it's funny. Tropp was an effective 4th liner a couple years ago (and those types are important, no doubt), hasn't been nearly the same since, and his loss (or potential worth as an asset) is, while notable, somewhat meaningless within the context of a massive rebuild. I expect there to be more of these moves going forward.

Nice post. Its really a nothing move in the grand scheme of things.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bradley Gelber ‏@BradleyGelber - @BuffNewsVogl He has a lot more than that: pic.twitter.com/DDLR4illBE

WARNING! - if ya decide to check it out.

here it is..

hriwc5.jpg

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Guy is pretty famous for this stuff...haha

2vt8xnk.gif

That is "dancing Kevin". He isn't at every game, but he shows up on the Jumbotron frequently. He has been around for years, and has pretty much become a CBJ tradition. He is loved and adored by all.

Just wanted to let you know that Tropp looked pretty good last night. Nice assist, and otherwise played as advertised. Lot of energy, and didn't make any glaring mistakes. Actually made a couple of good zone clears at key times. Going to be interesting to see what happens when the CBJ start getting some of the many guys back off injuries.

Time will tell I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad