News Article: Corey Pronmans: "Farm system rankings" Habs at 6. -The Athletic

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With all our prospects save Juulsen not graduating, were looking at top 5 for sure, even more so since the Sens dont have a first pick, and Van/Carolina/Buffalo. I think NYI is the only one that is a real threat to us.

Isles hit a 2 run homer this past draft. We need to do the same and parley some players into picks. Patches, Shaw, Byron, any D over 25. If we can do that and the draft is as deep as they say it is, we may be set as a franchise for a decade.

Reactions: Lshap

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Huge progress in this pool. Habs taking top 6 has moved them up 20-something spots year-on-year. Taking a look at the top players under 23 for the Habs is also quite encouraging.

One thing I think we should note as Habs fans is how much we seem to underrate Ikonen compared to guys like Pronman and Mitch Brown, who actually scout these guys and both think he is among the best prospects on the Habs. Really looking forward to seeing how he does this year.
It's so difficult to evaluate Ikonen...he seemed like a steal immediately post-draft, but his year didn't quite follow an upwards progression.

And now hes hurt.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I value Pronman's opinion a tad more than Button but I'm still uncertain on how much weight to give his opinion. He definitely values certain type of players over others. I don't think we should be that high.

From reading his reports in the past he seems to put a lot of stock into faster, more skilled guys. Apparently he had Ylonen top 15 this year and I remember he was really high on Colberg back when we drafted him.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah it is your last 3-4 drafts, Im not saying I didnt expect improvement but they were like late 20's last year werent they? I just dont see how 1 draft moves the needle that far when outside of the high end prospect most other teams added similar prospects.
For perspective...

Half of who Pronman thinks are the Habs top 10 prospects, were drafted this past year.

So while the 2018 draft seems to weigh heavily for Pronman, it's not just that exclusively.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah it is your last 3-4 drafts, Im not saying I didnt expect improvement but they were like late 20's last year werent they? I just dont see how 1 draft moves the needle that far when outside of the high end prospect most other teams added similar prospects.

I'm not saying I agree with where the Habs are, but it's not surprising that a team with a top pick and a bunch of extra picks makes a huge leap. Keep in mind the top ranked teams from last year will have likely lost their top prospect(s) to graduation so they were going to drop no matter what.

Reactions: Perrah

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As I'm sure you can expect - its triggered a few fine folks.

I try not to pay too much attention to that. I suspect in the eyes of some, it buys Bergevin more time. However, looking at the bottom line, Pronman is respected and if we're going to get out of our current morass, there needs to be some light at the end of the tunnel. At least we're likely to see these prospects hit their ceiling with a guy like Bouchard handling most of them, eventually.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
For perspective...

Half of who Pronman thinks are the Habs top 10 prospects, were drafted this past year.

So while the 2018 draft seems to weigh heavily for Pronman, it's not just that exclusively.

Ill just wait and see I guess. People thought we pillaged the 2012 draft and that went down fast. Similar thoughts on 2013. Habs got some NHLers out of it but nothing that would justify where their pool was probably ranked after those drafts.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
From reading his reports in the past he seems to put a lot of stock into faster, more skilled guys. Apparently he had Ylonen top 15 this year and I remember he was really high on Colberg back when we drafted him.
On one hand, he is a 'visionary' in a way that he saw where the league was trending, but he's always neglected guys who bring the famous "intangibles". Obviously you can't get them all right but his preferences in what is a solid prospect goes hand in hand with what he preaches so it's not shocking to see us this high without any true blue chip prospects other than Kotka.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
With all our prospects save Juulsen not graduating, were looking at top 5 for sure, even more so since the Sens dont have a first pick, and Van/Carolina/Buffalo. I think NYI is the only one that is a real threat to us.
Don't forget Detroit who just grabbed Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac and Berggren in the first two rounds of last draft. Another tank year and they'll have a great haul.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't forget Detroit who just grabbed Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac and Berggren in the first two rounds of last draft. Another tank year and they'll have a great haul.
Yeah, but theyre already behind the Habs this year, unless they get Hughes or the Habs make the PO, theyre not jumping over us.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Buffalo has 3 1sts so expect them on top next year. Carolina should drop. So top 3 for sure.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
This is farm system raking right? So Laval. Seems a bit high but would be nice. With new coaching and player development it should be a lot better. Plus if the Habs don’t have a hundred injuries and call up the whole farm team, that’ll make a huge difference. Honestly they have to hope Laval has success this season because the Habs sure won’t. The big club has at least one more bad year ahead before starting to improve. It would be absolutely huge getting a top 3 pick again. That’s worth so much more than a few meaningless wins.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is farm system raking right? So Laval. Seems a bit high but would be nice. With new coaching and player development it should be a lot better. Plus if the Habs don’t have a hundred injuries and call up the whole farm team, that’ll make a huge difference. Honestly they have to hope Laval has success this season because the Habs sure won’t. The big club has at least one more bad year ahead before starting to improve. It would be absolutely huge getting a top 3 pick again. That’s worth so much more than a few meaningless wins.
Its the whole farm, juniors and AHL. Anyone with less than 25 games in the NHL and less than 27 YO

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A bit too high for my taste considering we have more depth in prospects than we have high end talent.
He has Kotkaniemi as one of the 7 best prospects outside the NHL (Buff 2x, Van2x, Zadina and another im missing)

And Ylonen/poeling as top 6ers, he valued Ylonen at 14 in this draft, which explains his rankings. Looking around the league, not many teams have had better value in picks in the last two years. Id have them in a similar spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad