Speculation: Corey Perry to Leafs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
o_O one bad season does not make a 1st liner into a 4th liner...he hasn't slowed down enough yet to be stuck beside Gauthier and left to rot lol

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Perry Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Bracco (Marchment)

Marchment (Bracco)

Rielley Dermott
Muzzin Rosen
Borgmann Lilegren

***Borgmann and Rosen interchangeable depending on how they adjust to the NHL game and Lilegren to the second pairing if he shows ANY ability to stick in the NHL**
That may be the worst D core in the NHL.

If we go in with Dermott playing on our top pairing and Rosen in the top 4, and Lilly + Borgman in our top 6 we should just forfeit the season before it begins.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
On first thought: Pfffft.

On second thought, this could be low risk and pretty big payoff. Even though he's very much on the downside and isn't going to return to topline form or anything, he's was always good for 50+ points and driving the other team nuts. If he can be 80-90% of that on a very cheap deal, that'll work very well for us.

It would be up to him, basically. If he wants to come make 1 million and try to win a cup at home, cool. I wouldn't be interested in investing any term or meaningful cap commitment on it though.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

If we go in with Dermott playing on our top pairing and Rosen in the top 4, and Lilly + Borgman in our top 6 we should just forfeit the season before it begins.

We can sign Dion Phaneuf to shore up our blue line. Whatcha think of that? Get our ol' captain back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Positionally, he doesn't really fill a need, and blocks Bracco. On a cheap deal I'd be intrigued, but since he's on the RW, it doesn't really help the loss of Hyman and Marleau. He's also slow as molasses at this point.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Would love him on the team, not the same Perry he once was but can still be a beneficial add. With Hyms out, potentially Marleau and others leaving it does make sense. Can get him cheap and low term. Win-win.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Positionally, he doesn't really fill a need, and blocks Bracco. On a cheap deal I'd be intrigued, but since he's on the RW, it doesn't really help the loss of Hyman and Marleau. He's also slow as molasses at this point.

If you paid him **** all he could be injury cover, give you a body in front for the 2nd PP unit and a decent 4th liner 5v5, maybe that could work?

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

wow aren't you high on the farm team lol...get them in early and find out what you really have...tinker and adjust from there obviously...and no not the worst D core at all...off the top of my head have you seen NYR or Ottawa? how about Montreal? Florida? Anaheim? LA? Arizona? Edmonton? lol and that's just 2 minutes of thought

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you paid him **** all he could be injury cover, give you a body in front for the 2nd PP unit and a decent 4th liner 5v5, maybe that could work?
I can't see him taking a cheap discount and then taking on that type of role. If he goes cheap for one year, it will be to rebuild value. He doesn't live in the GTA, and you can't commute daily from the mega-mansion he just bought in London, Ontario.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
wow aren't you high on the farm team lol...get them in early and find out what you really have...tinker and adjust from there obviously...and no not the worst D core at all...off the top of my head have you seen NYR or Ottawa? how about Montreal? Florida? Anaheim? LA? Arizona? Edmonton? lol and that's just 2 minutes of thought

Or better yet...what Pittsburgh won the Cup with the year Letang went down...

Reactions: Jared Henderson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can't see him taking a cheap discount and then taking on that type of role. If he goes cheap for one year, it will be to rebuild value. He doesn't live in the GTA, and you can't commute daily from the mega-mansion he just bought in London, Ontario.

Then I just wouldn't bother, unless he's dirt cheap it's just not worth us getting involved

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

If we bring in Perry on the cheap and Bracco outperforms him, we can do whatever with Perry. If Perry has some game left, he gives us a lot of what we need, and we're trying to win a cup here.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Well, I mean, no team is commutable from London. :laugh:

Reactions: TML1990

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If we bring in Perry on the cheap and Bracco outperforms him, we can do whatever with Perry. If Perry has some game left, he gives us a lot of what we need, and we're trying to win a cup here.
I don't think Perry is signing a cheap deal to play on a teams 4th line. If he signs cheap, it will be to re-establish his value. He off-seasons in London, Ont, so its not like he can live at his summer place if he comes or it will be an easy commute. I don't think there will be much appeal for him to come here. And, I get our side of it, I'm just pointing out how ours and his align. I don't think he'd give a hometown discount because he lives 2 hours from here in the off-season. So, expect a market rate.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017

He can afford to buy a condo downtown and sell it once he retires. He'll probably make a nice profit too. I can't see him playing for more than 2 years but that could change if he does well.. I would imagine they'd have some kind of bonus written into the deal that could earn him up to 2M. He's also being paid by Anaheim for several more years. I don't see money being the issue. His family & friends will definitely drive the 2 hours from London to see him play.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Not sure if you're serious about some of those. Anaheim has a strong blueline. The Rags would absolutely be better than the one you posted, especially after acquiring Trouba.

Dermott hasn't proven to be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy to this point and he'll be recovering from surgery this summer. Not exactly a recipe for immediate success.

Rosen has played a total of 8 NHL games. He will need time to work the kinks out of his game at the NHL level. Playing in the top 4 on a team that should be contending is not exactly the best place for that.

Borgmann has not shown to be an NHL calibre player. It's too early for Liljegren. Dmen need time to develop and the AHL is the best place for that. Not on a team that should be contending.

Rielly and Muzzin are the only 2 top 4 defensemen that were listed in there. That gives us serious question marks back there. It's not about being high on the Marlies players or not, it's about their transition to the NHL and roles that these players will play. I think a lot of these guys have good NHL futures ahead of them. Rushing them into NHL roles though is not good for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad