Value of: Corey Perry as a free agent if bought out

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d take him in St. Louis if you guys retained 50% of his contract in a trade. The Blues need a RHS that can score on the powerplay. Plus, I think he’d fit our system really well if he stays healthy.

What would the Ducks want in return?
Idk I think him and BM don't really see eye to eye... I also don't think perry fits the direction the team is trending to, so he might want to leave anyway. I agree he would a solid pick up for the blues... and they are in kinda a win now window it seems.

As for cost, doubt it would be anything crazy, decent prospect + 3rd rounder or something.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
i haven't heard anything about any off-ice distractions.

Just because you haven't heard about them them doesn't mean they weren't there. Suffice it to say there were commitment and focus issues for several years, some of which Murray has alluded to. I think these issues may have been addressed last off-season (maybe), but unfortunately he injured his knee and then it became impossible to draw many conclusions.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Just because you haven't heard about them them doesn't mean they weren't there. Suffice it to say there were commitment and focus issues for several years, some of which Murray has alluded to. I think these issues may have been addressed last off-season (maybe), but unfortunately he injured his knee and then it became impossible to draw many conclusions.
So you just choose to believe that there’s some off ice issues because some random person on the internet said so? That’s smart.

Not training enough is not the same as off ice distraction. Something like that would be drunk driving or something completely unrelated to hockey, which we have not heard one thing about so assuming that there was is completely false.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
So you just choose to believe that there’s some off ice issues because some random person on the internet said so? That’s smart.

Not training enough is not the same as off ice distraction. Something like that would be drunk driving or something completely unrelated to hockey, which we have not heard one thing about so assuming that there was is completely false.

Not smart would be assuming I wrote what I did based on what "some random person on the internet" said. I didn't say that and I'm not "assuming" anything. Did it occur to you that I might know some of the people involved?

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
In the exit interview Murray sounded very pleased in the way Perry was working his way back after the surgery after being more critical towards his training methods a year before. So if it sounded like he had some issues with Perry's training a year before he seemed to take it back this year.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not sure what getting bought out has anything to do with eventually getting the number retired to the rafters.

Acknowledging that he's no longer in the teams plans is not taking anything away from his legacy there as a player.

I think they trade him with retention to a team of his choosing before they buy him out, but neither Avenue will affect his post playing days and what he meant to that franchise

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn't mind Habs signing him. Not for anything excessive of course - but if he can bounce back he's low risk/high reward type of player

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not smart would be assuming I wrote what I did based on what "some random person on the internet" said. I didn't say that and I'm not "assuming" anything. Did it occur to you that I might know some of the people involved?
Oh yes, the normal course of action is to assume some random person on the internet has some insider information regrading off ice issues with a player even though there has been literally zero word about it. you may or may not have some kind of insider info, but unless you can prove it all I see is some random person talking about something with zero proof.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Given he has only 2 years left and still is a productive enough NHL player I don’t see how a buyout makes sense. The only issue with keeping him is we may need the roster space but having extra depth never hurt anyone.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He would get 5M+ as a ufa on a short term deal if he decided to go for the best money.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Oh yes, the normal course of action is to assume some random person on the internet has some insider information regrading off ice issues with a player even though there has been literally zero word about it. you may or may not have some kind of insider info, but unless you can prove it all I see is some random person talking about something with zero proof.

There hasn't been "zero" word about it. There have been lots of rumblings, including cryptic things Murray has said going back many years and even Getz has made comments about getting Perry going. And the fact that Perry has been in steady decline and often looked beaten down and disinterested, which is in stark contrast to his early career. You don't have to believe me. But for the same reason you choose not to believe me (I'm a random poster), you have no basis to claim I'm wrong - you don't know either way. I'm not going to convince you, and that's fine. Take it however you want.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Used hockey pucks? I dunno. Who would want a poorly skating, 34 year old hockey player from yesteryear?
NHL is a complete different animal what it was when Perry scored 50.

Besides, Corey Perry is prisoner of his own doing, 1 x 50 and 1 x 40 goal season and he gets overly regarded/paid.

Average skater with big body and decent skill set. Even thou has 1110 career penalty minutes, never been much of a physical guy,
he did score 50 goals in a season, no one can take that merit off of him, but that said..

His avg goals per season is 26.7 and points per season avg is 55.4, while having had the chance to play with one of the best
2-way centers of his generation, Ryan Getzlaf. (the numbers wont change dramatically, even if you wouldn't include 3 of his last seasons)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad