Value of: Corey Perry as a free agent if bought out

Lupul1990

Aug 30, 2006
If the Ducks bought him out that would still leave them with 6.625m caphit in 2020-21, which pretty much makes his contract buyout-proof. The reason for this is a 3m signing bonus in the last year of the contract. The only part of the contract that can be bought out is the base salary which is 12m total for the next two years.

I think that this is a loophole that works for the players. Signing a contract with a lot of bonus money in the last year makes any contract hard to buyout.

Corey Perry Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Ducks will be aiming for a lottery pick next season. Also extremely against the cap. Keeping Perry versus a buyout isn’t worth it.

The team is full of rookies with hardly any NHL experience, and can learn from a Stanley cup champion. I don’t see a buyout necessary.

Rather spend the money on Perry who have already taught these kids gritty goal scoring, and getting your ass to the paint. And that’s worth the haul to me imo.

Ducks get high lottery pick next season. And Getzlaf and Perry does there finishing touches before there number goes to the rafters on the kids.

There’s no reason for a buy out.

Reactions: 8LX7psQ

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Ducks will be aiming for a lottery pick next season. Also extremely against the cap. Keeping Perry versus a buyout isn’t worth it.

The team is full of rookies with hardly any NHL experience, and can learn from a Stanley cup champion. I don’t see a buyout necessary.

Rather spend the money on Perry who have already taught these kids gritty goal scoring, and getting your ass to the paint. And that’s worth the haul to me imo.

Ducks get high lottery pick next season. And Getzlaf and Perry does there finishing touches before there number goes to the rafters on the kids.

While I agree there is not really a good reason to buy-out Perry, the notion that the Ducks are a lottery team is false. GMBM is not one to plan for a failing season. With a good coach, the Ducks should easily make the playoffs due to a week Pacific division.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

We'll have probably 3 or 4 rookies playing for us next season. The bold is once again, factually wrong. stop talking about things that are factually wrong.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
We'll have probably 3 or 4 rookies playing for us next season. The bold is once again, factually wrong. stop talking about things that are factually wrong.

They aren’t factually wrong. They are literally rookies who are taking on a bigger role on the top 6/9, than what was in San Diego Gulls. So yes they are rookies. This is the big boy club. Getting full time on this roster, and not being sent down on a two way contract. Is rookie.

Because Anaheim has no one to suffice. Look at crappy Rowney for sakes. He’s rookie also 31 and barely any NHL experience. There’s a reason why

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
They aren’t factually wrong. They are literally rookies who are taking on a bigger role on the top 6/9, than what was in San Diego Gulls. So yes they are rookies. This is the big boy club. Getting full time on this roster, and not being sent down on a two way contract. Is rookie.

Because Anaheim has no one to suffice. Look at crappy Rowney for sakes. He’s rookie also 31 and barely any NHL experience. There’s a reason why

Pretty poorly demonstrated point given that Rowney is not a rookie by any definition, nor is he in any way a factor for top 9 consideration.

When someone says you have a habit of misrepresenting facts, calling a third year player a rookie is a prime example.

Reactions: Not So Mighty

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Pretty poorly demonstrated point given that Rowney is not a rookie by any definition, nor is he in any way a factor for top 9 consideration.

He’s in our top 9 as is, with injury prone Sprong. Kesler is done for also. So yes Rowney with his 131 games played. Mostly AHL of his career, and never a full season in the NHL makes em a rookie. Nice try though

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He’s in our top 9 as is, with injury prone Sprong. Kesler is done for also. So yes Rowney with his 131 games played. Mostly AHL of his career, and never a full season in the NHL makes em a rookie. Nice try though

So basically you've gone ahead and created your own definition of the word 'rookie's then. That's a new one Ducksgo, usually players who aren't even sophomores anymore don't get called rookies, but anyway.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea that Rowney will be a top 9 forward. The team finished with Getzlaf, Henrique and Steel as it's scoring line centers.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hockey Operations Guidelines

upload_2019-5-18_19-26-42.png

Reactions: Not So Mighty

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The Ducks will eventually have his name hanging from the rafters. You do not buy those types of players out.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d take him in St. Louis if you guys retained 50% of his contract in a trade. The Blues need a RHS that can score on the powerplay. Plus, I think he’d fit our system really well if he stays healthy.

What would the Ducks want in return?

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Rowney is 30 years old has 133 regular season games under his belt and twice has played over half a season worth of games including 62 played this past season. He is not a rookie by any means whatsoever. You don't get to dictate what a rookie is.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
The Ducks will eventually have his name hanging from the rafters. You do not buy those types of players out.

Disagree on both counts. For several years, the ducks have been pretty disappointed with Perry's off-season training and other off-ice distractions. He very well could be bought out, though supposedly ownership hates buyouts so that could save him. If you look at the buyout calculator, buying Perry out this offseason makes a lot of sense if you can't trade him (which wont be easy because of his NMC and bloated contract).

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Disagree on both counts. For several years, the ducks have been pretty disappointed with Perry's off-season training and other off-ice distractions. He very well could be bought out, though supposedly ownership hates buyouts so that could save him. If you look at the buyout calculator, buying Perry out this offseason makes a lot of sense if you can't trade him (which wont be easy because of his NMC and bloated contract).
i haven't heard anything about any off-ice distractions.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Wow what another rediculous post

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
theyre not going to buy out a guy whose jersey theyre probably going to retire. Dumb to even consider.
Same... His contract isn't crazy to buy out but for the short term relief to burn a bridge just doesn't make sense to me. He only has 2 years left. Ducks aren't competeing with the assest they could use that money for in the next two seasons. Just don't see this happening.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i haven't heard anything about any off-ice distractions.
Don’t think it was distractions. Bob Murray implied in his interview after 2018 that more commitment was needed out of Perry in the summer. Seems to mean that he expects Perry to put in the time to improve his game or conditioning and is not seeing it when he arrived at camp for a couple of seasons.

Cash wise and nmc considered I don’t think Perry would waive his nmc. Ducks would be likely willing to retain on a trade but don’t think Perry is willing to leave.

Contract wise, he will get his $3 million SB plus $8/$12 million left in salary.

So if he can get a deal that averages $2 million per if bought out he comes out even.

Dan Girardi got bought out by the Rangers and signed with TB. He got more money overall via the buyout and signing a new deal than if the rangers just retained on a trade.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There is a great rule of thumb that almost never is off with these kind of things. Imagine the absolute worst possible deal he could get. 2 years at 6m? Then you add a year and a million to that. 3 years at 7m? ;)

I am only half-joking...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad