Value of: Corey Perry as a free agent if bought out

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’ve seen our writers talk about it might being something BM should consider. I don’t know how likely it is, or that I’m necessarily a fan of it, but if it happens, what do you think he’d get in free agency? When healthy which he is now, he’s good for about 40 or so points, probably best used in a third line role. What contract would you give him?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
If you ignore last season after coming off a knee surgery (after playing on a bad knee for a couple of seasons) he still put up 49 points last season. He’s not the player he once was, but he’s still a decent NHL player despite what the general consensus for him seems to be.

I don’t see the Ducks buying him out and honestly I don’t see a reason why we would.

Reactions: BHD and zaqq

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think a team with cap space and money to spend after the big names are gone would probably give him a healthy one year deal to see what he has left in the tank.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
4 per on a short term seems about right. Not sure why the ducks would do that though. They've got plenty of space with Kesler out and it seems like they're headed into rebuild territory. They don't have the pieces the sharks have to rebuild on the fly around their aging vets and still be competitive.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
4 per on a short term seems about right. Not sure why the ducks would do that though. They've got plenty of space with Kesler out and it seems like they're headed into rebuild territory. They don't have the pieces the sharks have to rebuild on the fly around their aging vets and still be competitive.
He only has 2 years left. If the ducks retained half that puts him st like $4.3 per

Reactions: zaqq

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In general I can see why they would consider buying him out. The Ducks have Rakell, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Kase, Comtois, Terry, Jones, Sprong for six winger spots in the top 9. It just really doesn't make sense to have an 8.6M player somewhere in the middle to lower end of that group. That's money that can be better spent elsewhere.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
In general I can see why they would consider buying him out. The Ducks have Rakell, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Kase, Comtois, Terry, Jones, Sprong for six winger spots in the top 9. It just really doesn't make sense to have an 8.6M player somewhere in the middle to lower end of that group. That's money that can be better spent elsewhere.

Only for next year though. The buyout would cost the ducks 6.625m in 2020-2021 and then 2m/year for two more years after his contract would've expired.

You're basically saving 6m next year, 2m the following year and losing 2m of space the next 2 after that. I'd pay him 8.6m as a 4th liner or even in the press box over buying him out

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Only for next year though. The buyout would cost the ducks 6.625m in 2020-2021 and then 2m/year for two more years after his contract would've expired.

You're basically saving 6m next year, 2m the following year and losing 2m of space the next 2 after that. I'd pay him 8.6m as a 4th liner or even in the press box over buying him out

That's the cap hit for next year, but according to cap friendly the actual cost is 8M evenly distributed over the four years.

But generally speaking, they would save $4M on a player who really doesn't serve a purpose given the direction of the team. I think will at least be discussed as a possibility.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
theyre not going to buy out a guy whose jersey theyre probably going to retire. Dumb to even consider.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I can't and won't comment on whether or not Anaheim would buy him out. But if they did, I think Arizona would be interested. They need goal scoring wingers. If Perry can bounce back to anything close to his peak, they'd be in love with him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islanders fan I would take Perry's contract(at even/no value) if we could get Getzlaf

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If he rebounds to his production the last few years he's worth about half his cap hit. If Ducks gave 50% retention you'd get a team interested. The return would still be unspectacular though.

Reactions: zaqq

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
1 year 5 mill from a team. Sort of a prove it year.

I can't imagine the ducks buy him out. I think that would be rather damaging to the cap anyways ?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If he's bought out, a contender with 3-4 million to spend would probably look to get him.

10 over three to a team that needs a 3rd line vet.

That's the perfect situation for team and player

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I saw a lot of signs in the final games last season of CP playing with intensity again. If he works hard this offseason, gets a coach he gels under, wouldn't surprise me he puts up 20G 30A +.

He can also be a mentor to Max Jones.

Don't see Ducks buying him out. He's only got two years left.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I would think there'd be a few teams that would throw a 3 million dollar one-year contract at him if bought out. Maybe slightly more.

Problem is buying him out doesn't actually save much money for the Ducks. He'd still be owed 13.25 million out of his 17.25 million and you'd have to slot in at least an ELC to replace him over two years, so the Ducks would save probably 2.5 million in total by buying him out as opposed to just playing him in a 3rd line role for the next two years.

There is also a good chance that he produces the same as the ELC you are replacing him with, and buying him out means a 2 million cap hit for two years after his contract technically expires. Is it worth paying that cap hit for two extra years to save 2.5 million for what is likely the same amount of production, especially given the relationship between him and the organization and the fact that he very well may end up having his number retired, etc.? I don't really think that it is.

I also think it is very unlikely that he would be dealt, either, as it would probably require 50% retention and I doubt he would waive his NMC unless it is a cup contender. It's better to just hope he can rebound with a full offseason to rehab his knee and get back to 50 point production for the next two seasons.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad