News: Corey Crawford will not be returning to Blackhawks

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A best of 5 qualifier series of exhibition games after a 4 month layoff, that his team was allowed to play despite not being one of the best 8 teams in the West. Might technically count as a win, but has a huge asterisk next to it and is essentially meaningless.

Nah

And Crawford battled thru series with no practice coming back from Covid

That in itself shown how much he wants to compete/win

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
We cannot / will not roll into next season with Delia/Lankinen as the combo. We'll sign a vet to step in -- but it better be a better deal than Crow gets.

Reactions: SoCalFan

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Are you implying that the Hawks haven't won a series sense 2014-15 because of Crawford?

I'm saying he hasn't won a real playoff series in 5 years, so assuming he'll be a difference maker in Colorado doesn't really jive with reality. His last 3 playoffs, he had a SV% under 0.910. Why would we believe that he's an upgrade over Grubauer, who has a 0.920+ SV% in each of the last two playoffs? Is what happened in 2014-15 still all that meaningful when it comes to predicting what'll happen next season?

Reactions: definedMF

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Crawfords fate here in chicago was sealed when chicago was on the decline.

Crawford will be the first goalie in free agency that any contender will go after. Colorado has plenty of cap space to make a serious run and a young fast dynamic team that imo Crawford would make them a serious contenderand upgrade over their current netminders

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I feel like Crawford would be a good target for Carolina. Upgrade on Reimer, can platoon with Mrazek to keep Crawford fresh during a likely compact schedule, and a better track record than either when healthy.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Nah

And Crawford battled thru series with no practice coming back from Covid

That in itself shown how much he wants to compete/win

It's not a question of whether he wants to compete, it's whether he's a better option than Grubauer/Francouz. And, I'm not seeing any reason to believe that he is. Sure, he battled through the series, but gave up 3 or more goals in 5 of the 9 games he played. Blame that on his team if you want, but it doesn't convince me.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm saying he hasn't won a real playoff series in 5 years, so assuming he'll be a difference maker in Colorado doesn't really jive with reality. His last 3 playoffs, he had a SV% under 0.910. Why would we believe that he's an upgrade over Grubauer, who has a 0.920+ SV% in each of the last two playoffs? Is what happened in 2014-15 still all that meaningful when it comes to predicting what'll happen next season?

So you are saying he's not good anymore in the playoffs, even though he's still been good in the regular season? Since 15/ 16, which is your cut off, .924/.918/.929/.908/.917. I don't buy that.

Weather or not he makes sense for the Avs is it's own thing, but I think he can still be the starter on a championship level team.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It's not a question of whether he wants to compete, it's whether he's a better option than Grubauer/Francouz. And, I'm not seeing any reason to believe that he is. Sure, he battled through the series, but gave up 3 or more goals in 5 of the 9 games he played. Blame that on his team if you want, but it doesn't convince me.

Crawford is a huge upgrade over colorados current pair in net. Colorado has a great young team clearly their current tandem couldn't raise their level of play to help Colorado win a cup. Crawford is a proven winner and him playing in net for Colorado makes them a serious contender.

Chicago doesn't have a good defense or consistent offense

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If Flames can't land Markstrom, I wouldn't mind checking in on Crawford. Depending on price might even be a good plan A

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Wow, strange to see him leave Chicago
Guess they're trying to get younger

Yes it does but all good things eventually come to a end. Chicago biggest problems imo are stan he overpaid and created bad contracts while he the. Traded off plenty of great young talent and has nothing to show for.

Seabrook was the worst contract signings

With toews , kane , Keith seabrook and shaw Chicago is on the hook for the next 3 years for close to 37 million dollars

Reactions: jetsforever

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
So you are saying he's not good anymore in the playoffs, even though he's still been good in the regular season? Since 15/ 16, which is your cut off, .924/.918/.929/.908/.917. I don't buy that.

Weather or not he makes sense for the Avs is it's own thing, but I think he can still be the starter on a championship level team.

I'm not saying that he's not still capable of starting for contending team. I'm just saying that I don't believe he's definitely better than the guys Colorado already has in net, so I don't see a legitimate reason for the Avs to be interested. With Grubauer/Francouz in net, the Avs allowed the 6th fewest goals in the NHL this season. Why wouldn't we give them another chance to stay healthy?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm not saying that he's not still capable of starting for contending team. I'm just saying that I don't believe he's definitely better than the guys Colorado already has in net, so I don't see a legitimate reason for the Avs to be interested. With Grubauer/Francouz in net, the Avs allowed the 6th fewest goals in the NHL this season. Why wouldn't we give them another chance to stay healthy?

I'm sure you watch more Avs games then I do, so if your comfortable with them, I'll defer to you.

But from afar, the argument for Crawford is obviously track record. Francouz has played 42 NHL games and struggled in the postseason in his 6 games. Grauber hasn't ever been a real number 1, although he's done well in the playoffs the past 2 seasons. The Avs are obviously a cup contender right now and have the luxury of having the space to bring in a proven goalie like Crow. Maybe the combo they have now is good enough, but I'd personally like their chances more with a proven goalie like Crow.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sure hope he's who Guerin is looking at. Him or Griess make a ton of sense for the Wild.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm sure you watch more Avs games then I do, so if your comfortable with them, I'll defer to you.

But from afar, the argument for Crawford is obviously track record. Francouz has played 42 NHL games and struggled in the postseason in his 6 games. Grauber hasn't ever been a real number 1, although he's done well in the playoffs the past 2 seasons. The Avs are obviously a cup contender right now and have the luxury of having the space to bring in a proven goalie like Crow. Maybe the combo they have now is good enough, but I'd personally like their chances more with a proven goalie like Crow.

Yes, Crawford has the track record, but past performance doesn't guarantee future success. And it's been a few years since Crawford won something, so it's not unreasonable to question if he can still do it again at the age of 36. And, it's not like Crawford has been the picture of health over the last few years either. How many games did he miss due to health issues? When the Avs' biggest issue in net is staying healthy, I'm not sure Crawford is the best bet to solve those problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad