News: Corey Crawford will not be returning to Blackhawks

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Reminds me of when Vancouver were trying to decide between Luongo and Schnieder and hit on the bright idea of letting them both go and rolling with an AHL backup as their starter instead.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Reminds me of when Vancouver were trying to decide between Luongo and Schnieder and hit on the bright idea of letting them both go and rolling with an AHL backup as their starter instead.
That did not happen, Ryan Miller was brought in to be the starter. And was worse than Lack. Just rolling with Lack and Markstrom earlier probably would of kept them better set.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Colorado's goalie tandem allowed the 6th fewest goals in the NHL last year. Why do we need a 35 year old who last won a playoff series in 2014-15?

Lol Avs are about to have 140m payroll and 200 contracts next year if HF is anything to go by. Literally every buyout thread has someone trying to link "x" player to the Avs...

I'm glad the qe have no capspace, this seems annoying to have to deal with.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I'm not saying that he's not still capable of starting for contending team. I'm just saying that I don't believe he's definitely better than the guys Colorado already has in net, so I don't see a legitimate reason for the Avs to be interested. With Grubauer/Francouz in net, the Avs allowed the 6th fewest goals in the NHL this season. Why wouldn't we give them another chance to stay healthy?

Your arguement is 2 goaltenders whove never won a Stanley cup nor carried their teams consistently year after year had 1 great regular season then choked in the playoffs will somehow come back this year and finally lead Colorado to a Stanley cup championship over a guy who's proven 2 time cup winner and 3 western conference finals ?

Crawford would easily make any team that is close to contending making them a serious contender

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Yes, Crawford has the track record, but past performance doesn't guarantee future success. And it's been a few years since Crawford won something, so it's not unreasonable to question if he can still do it again at the age of 36. And, it's not like Crawford has been the picture of health over the last few years either. How many games did he miss due to health issues? When the Avs' biggest issue in net is staying healthy, I'm not sure Crawford is the best bet to solve those problems.

Crawfords health concerns stemmed from a chicago team that gutted its defense and left the goaltending out to dry.

Crawford would be a upgrade over both of Colorados goalies. Colorado could even move 1 out for picks .

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Your arguement is 2 goaltenders whove never won a Stanley cup nor carried their teams consistently year after year had 1 great regular season then choked in the playoffs will somehow come back this year and finally lead Colorado to a Stanley cup championship over a guy who's proven 2 time cup winner and 3 western conference finals ?

Crawford would easily make any team that is close to contending making them a serious contender

Last time I checked, Grubauer's name is still on the Cup, even if he wasn't the starter. And, Francouz was an NHL rookie this season, so expecting him to have carried his team consistently year after year is probably a bit unrealistic. I also really like how you mischaracterize getting injured as "choking in the playoffs", when reality shows that Grubauer was 5-0-1 with a 0.937 SV% going into game 1 against Dallas.

I'd also point out that prior to winning his first Cup in his 3rd season as a starter, Crawford choked twice in the playoffs, and didn't even make it past the first round in those first two season. In retrospect, should Chicago have dumped Crawford as the starter in favor of a 35 year old that had won a Cup 5+ years earlier?

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Last time I checked, Grubauer's name is still on the Cup, even if he wasn't the starter. And, Francouz was an NHL rookie this season, so expecting him to have carried his team consistently year after year is probably a bit unrealistic. I also really like how you mischaracterize getting injured as "choking in the playoffs", when reality shows that Grubauer was 5-0-1 with a 0.937 SV% going into game 1 against Dallas.

I'd also point out that prior to winning his first Cup in his 3rd season as a starter, Crawford choked twice in the playoffs, and didn't even make it past the first round in those first two season. In retrospect, should Chicago have dumped Crawford as the starter in favor of a 35 year old that had won a Cup 5+ years earlier?

So your argument is Grubauer by simply being on a team that won a cup makes him qualified to leada team through the 4egular season and then take them to victory?

Lundquist, rask , price all get high praises by a league that is so biased towards the west.
Crawford has 2 cups he can still play at a high level and although nothing is guaranteed having someone who has experience and has won not 1 but 2 cups might be the final piece for Colorado. Lundquist how any cups has he won , 0. Regular season wins mean nothing if you can't stay mentally focused and not only make the saves you should. Make but also the ones that you weren't expected to. Crawford has proved he is 1 of the best in the league and unfortunately chicago is past its time .

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
So your argument is Grubauer by simply being on a team that won a cup makes him qualified to leada team through the 4egular season and then take them to victory?

Lundquist, rask , price all get high praises by a league that is so biased towards the west.
Crawford has 2 cups he can still play at a high level and although nothing is guaranteed having someone who has experience and has won not 1 but 2 cups might be the final piece for Colorado. Lundquist how any cups has he won , 0. Regular season wins mean nothing if you can't stay mentally focused and not only make the saves you should. Make but also the ones that you weren't expected to. Crawford has proved he is 1 of the best in the league and unfortunately chicago is past its time .

What qualified Binnington to win the Cup as a rookie last season? What qualified Vasilevskiy to win the Cup this year when he had never been to the Cup finals before this season? Neither one of them already had 2 Cups, but still managed to get the job done. So, why not Grubauer? He was 5-0-1 with a 0.937 SV%, and 4-0 against Arizona in the first round. Had he stayed healthy, he gave us as good a chance as pretty much anyone.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Absolutely heartbreaking.

I get it, Crawford wants to be the #1a goalie and honestly, he's not really there anymore... At least not in front of our defense.

I hope the absolute best for him and hope he makes us regret letting him leave. But ultimately, this is a business and some decisions are painful.

He was a seriously underrated goalie during his prime years and some team is going to be really lucky to have Crow play with something to prove.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
What qualified Binnington to win the Cup as a rookie last season? What qualified Vasilevskiy to win the Cup this year when he had never been to the Cup finals before this season? Neither one of them already had 2 Cups, but still managed to get the job done. So, why not Grubauer? He was 5-0-1 with a 0.937 SV%, and 4-0 against Arizona in the first round. Had he stayed healthy, he gave us as good a chance as pretty much anyone.

Yes they won the cup thats the difference is they stayed mentally focused. However not to take away their win. But what goalie currently in the league has won 2 cups and went to the finals 3 times . I'll answer that MAF and quick. Besides them at that age level Crawford can still play 60 games a season.

Regarding Grubauer what he did last year was great but he doesn't have a history of consistent winning. My point is Crawford will make any team that is on 5he verge of going from pretending to contending and he would automatically be a upgrade over Colorado's current goalies.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

As a Flames fan, I can say that our 2019 series might have ended up quite differently in Grubauer doesn't absolutely rob Backlund in game 4 OT. He was incredibly sharp in that series

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Crawford was a beast. He shutdown a lot of Wild teams over the years and always showed up when it counted. An ideal 1G

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes they won the cup thats the difference is they stayed mentally focused. However not to take away their win. But what goalie currently in the league has won 2 cups and went to the finals 3 times . I'll answer that MAF and quick. Besides them at that age level Crawford can still play 60 games a season.

Regarding Grubauer what he did last year was great but he doesn't have a history of consistent winning. My point is Crawford will make any team that is on 5he verge of going from pretending to contending and he would automatically be a upgrade over Colorado's current goalies.

You keep repeating the same claim that Crawford would be an upgrade, but the only evidence you seem to have to back it up is what he did 5+ years ago. The fact that he was arguably elite and won a couple of Cups 5+ years ago looks great on his resume. But, when it comes to projecting future performance, it's really not very relevant.

Since joining the Avs, Grubauer is 36-21-9 with a .916 SV%. In the playoffs, his SV% has been .924%. Add in Francouz, who just went 21-7-4 with the 6th best SV% in the NHL as a rookie, and when healthy, our goaltending is more than good enough to allow us to compete. The only real complaint about their performance this season is that they both got injured at the wrong time. But, everyone getting injured seemed to be the story of the Avs season, and there isn't a single goalie in the NHL who is immune to getting hurt. So, what's the real incentive to upgrade?

And, before you say "Cup winning experience", we already have Ian Cole to regale the youngsters with tales of past glory.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
You keep repeating the same claim that Crawford would be an upgrade, but the only evidence you seem to have to back it up is what he did 5+ years ago. The fact that he was arguably elite and won a couple of Cups 5+ years ago looks great on his resume. But, when it comes to projecting future performance, it's really not very relevant.

Since joining the Avs, Grubauer is 36-21-9 with a .916 SV%. In the playoffs, his SV% has been .924%. Add in Francouz, who just went 21-7-4 with the 6th best SV% in the NHL as a rookie, and when healthy, our goaltending is more than good enough to allow us to compete. The only real complaint about their performance this season is that they both got injured at the wrong time. But, everyone getting injured seemed to be the story of the Avs season, and there isn't a single goalie in the NHL who is immune to getting hurt. So, what's the real incentive to upgrade?

And, before you say "Cup winning experience", we already have Ian Cole to regale the youngsters with tales of past glory.

Chicago since tge 2015/16 season has lost just about all of its talent. Crawford went down with a head injury that kept him from playing for almost 2 seasons. This year his first full season back playing behind a defe se that was God awful Crawford still managed to outperform expectations. If you think having won 2 Stanley cups isn't a resume booster with a goalie who is still in his prime then your lost in your understanding of hockey and experience. If you never won a Stanley cup especially as a goaltender you can't fully grasp how difficult and taxing it is. His save percentage thos year was a .917% almost 92% playing on a awful team.

Now compare Grubauer #s playing on a team that is exceptionally good. Crawford would be a upgrade if your not willing to realize this now maybe after the season should Colorado opt to not sign Crawford and Colorado once again tanks .

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Chicago since tge 2015/16 season has lost just about all of its talent. Crawford went down with a head injury that kept him from playing for almost 2 seasons. This year his first full season back playing behind a defe se that was God awful Crawford still managed to outperform expectations. If you think having won 2 Stanley cups isn't a resume booster with a goalie who is still in his prime then your lost in your understanding of hockey and experience. If you never won a Stanley cup especially as a goaltender you can't fully grasp how difficult and taxing it is. His save percentage thos year was a .917% almost 92% playing on a awful team.

Now compare Grubauer #s playing on a team that is exceptionally good. Crawford would be a upgrade if your not willing to realize this now maybe after the season should Colorado opt to not sign Crawford and Colorado once again tanks .

So, Crawford went down for almost two seasons with a head injury, but now he's the answer to staying healthy in net? And, doesn't missing 2 seasons with a head injury since his last Cup raise some questions for you? Can he still do it?

Again, I'm not saying that Crawford isn't a very good goalie. I'm just saying that Grubauer and Francouz give us as good a chance to win games as anyone else you could put in there right now, assuming they are both healthy, so there's no real reason to change anything. We gave up the 6th fewest goals this season and finished with the 2nd best record in the West and have both goalies signed for a combined $5.3m for next season. Where's the problem the Avs need to solve?

Reactions: intangible

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
What teams are looking for an insurance goalie?
I doubt anyone offers him a starting job.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
id like to see Edmonton pick him up for a 1A 1B tandem with Kosk. Better than sinking money into Markstrom as good as he might be. My big fish hunting ended when Vegas resigned Lehner.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Carolina for a 2-3 years would be ideal for him. They have a good defense , so he won't have to overexert himself. Plus, I'm sure they will have Mrazek or Reimer still to play 30+ games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad