Copa America 2020-1

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
They also had some great players pre-Messi and didn't do it.

I think the reaction to them winning, where all these players who grew up watching and idolizing him immediately swarmed him? That speaks more volumes than anything else.

In recent history, Batistuta did win Copa America. After him, the best Arg player was (arguably) Ortega who wasn't anywhere near the level necessary to win championships.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For once I agree with SEPH, Argentina were very fortunate to end that game with 11 men.

He was getting destroyed all game, just stfu.
I have no problem with anybody hating Neymar, but no one can look at tonight and think that he didn't have an absolute target on his back. Argentina was roughing him like Islanders did on Kucherov. Argentina I thought deserved the win though, they were the best team throughout this tournament easily.

Also who the eff is this Diaz bloke? He had one of the most break out tournaments I've seen from an individual performance.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Of course it does. Messi won and was the best player in the tournament.

It is the equivalent of a player never winning a Stanley Cup, and then winning while winning the Conn Smythe in the process.

Think about Ovechkin 3 years ago.
Lebron gets criticized for his personal failures in the playoffs despite his successes. Gretzky gets nicked because he never won with a “weaker” team. In debates about GOATs, this kind of nitpicky stuff comes up. It’s not always justified but that’s what I’m referring to about cementing legacies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lebron gets criticized for his personal failures in the playoffs despite his successes. Gretzky gets nicked because he never won with a “weaker” team. In debates about GOATs, this kind of nitpicky stuff comes up. It’s not always justified but that’s what I’m referring to about cementing legacies.
Football isn't like NA sports.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Lol does he? I think you need to stop entertaining these people who are nitpicking against the GOATS...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Football isn't like NA sports.
Critics nick Maradona because of his inconsistency at club level and off field issues. Pele has critics about the level of competition that he faced. It’s nitpicky stuff and I don’t agree with all of it but that’s the kind of stuff that comes up in these debates.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've never heard that once in my life. What GOAT level player did win with a "weak team"... ?
Not so much a weak team but people will say things like “he won 5 with a stacked Oilers team against crappy goalies and never won again after he left and goalies got better.”

Basically when you’re debating GOATs, the quality of players is so high that people are usually left to criticizing small, often obscure “weaknesses” in order to differentiate between players.

Reactions: Rob

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The Copa America was not taken seriously in those days, they didn't send their A teams.

Did not know that. Appreciate the context. I was going by what the commentators were saying. Looks like Maradona only played in one and not seeing Pele having played in any.

Reactions: gary69

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Riquelme, Aimar, Saviola, Crespo, Zanetti, Samuel, Ayala, Gallardo, I left a ton out but they've had some amazing players since then.

Great players. However, if they are the *best* you can field then don't expect to win many championships.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Brazil just lost but they are looking good heading into the WC
You think?

- Besides Casemiro they got an absolutely terrible midfield
- Besides Neymar they have to rely on Jesus, Firmino, and Richarlison to get goals (that's some of the most inconsistent players in the world)
- They're strong on the defensive line

Maybe it was the manager because I don't get the formation and this is why the 4-3-3 sort of sucks. You play Casemiro, but because of the formation you can't play Fabinho who would've stuck to Messi like hot asphalt. Alisson somehow isn't the starting goalkeeper, da faq? Sandro doesn't start over Lodi? Vini Jr. should be a consistent starter for them, but somehow isn't.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
tenor.gif

I'm horribly sunburnt at the moment, so the sun :laugh:

I just can't stand the guy. Find it very difficult to feel any sort of sympathy for him

Reactions: cgf

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
So happy for Leo to finally win this one!!! He was one of the worst players on the pitch tonight, but he brought them here to begin with.

Couple notes. Scaloni, besides the fact that he seemed to select and play the best players in Argentina for a change (compared to his predecessors), was very good at reacting to what was happening during the game. Noticed Acuna was being killed in the second half and brought on Tagliafico for help, took off Paredes and Lo Celso before they'd get the red.

di Maria MOTM was a joke, should have gone to one of De Paul, who today was Kante defensively and Messi offensively, or Romero.

Renan Lodi can't be the best left back in Brazil, impossible. Emerson played out of position brought so much more than him.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Neymar. He can be an insufferable prick, and he can also be the definition of class in the span of 5 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad