Coots: Sean Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
What about Matt Read? Don't mean to derail thread but when I look at him, I don't trade him for anything but a HUGE overpayment. Like sometimes I'll forget about him but then I see him do something cool, remember his contract, then realize he's on pace for over 20 goals this season and think "This is exactly the kind of player you want on a cup contender"

Don't get me wrong, I like Reader as well. Only reason I didn't include him in my earlier post referring to the Flyers young core is because he is like 2 years older than the rest of those guys.

Back to Couts, I definitely think there is some latent goal scoring potential there still to be tapped if put in the right situations. I remember that stretch of like four or five games in a row that he scored in during his rookie season and there were some beautiful goals in there.

I can easily envision him in the 65-70 point range when he hits his prime along with the elite level shutdown defense that he already provides.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
pure fear

ib2gEMUN2u4Duo.gif

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
he took a huge step forward this year. I knew right away it was going to be a good year when i saw how much faster he looked in the preseason game against toronto.

If he takes one more leap , he is going to be a stud. If he never improves right now he is a 50 point selke candidate. That is among the best 2c in the game. If he can be a force on the powerplay watchout.

I hope the flyers try to extend him this year to a 8 year 36-40 mill deal. Lock him up at a low aav while he is young because I think he is going to be worth a lot more later.

They can't. They already signed him to a 2 year bridge deal that doesn't begin until next season.

WACCAttack

Mar 5, 2013
What the **** does this even mean, from the article above

In another life, Sean Couturier may have had information about the other life.

Even in this one, before his face sprouted a carpet, making the Flyers center look as mad as the monk, Rasputin, who knew all, saw all, on behalf of the Czarina, Craig Berube’s hole card could probably wield a mean Tarot card, omniscient as Couturier seems to be on a rink.
o_o

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
From the same article...

So much for not having Carter and Richards to go up against the big guns anymore.....

The new kids are in town....hee hee :yo:

Good instincts,” said the Flyers coach. “It’s engrained.”

“Crosby and (Evgeni) Malkin play 20 minutes every night so you need two guys to play against them. Claude can take advantage of skill guys on the other team because he can be a physical player. He knocked Malkin on his butt here.

“Couturier is aggressive more in the way of a thinker. I love his positioning and his stick.”

It’s a gift, taking away the gifts of the best players in the NHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
From the same article...

So much for not having Carter and Richards to go up against the big guns anymore.....

The new kids are in town....hee hee :yo:

I wouldn't be too hasty. We lost TWO two way centers and gained one. The Giroux line is only average defensively and the Schenn line remains a debacle in their own end. The team is still worse overall defensively, but without Couturier I don't even want to think about what they would look like.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't be too hasty. We lost TWO two way centers and gained one. The Giroux line is only average defensively and the Schenn line remains a debacle in their own end. The team is still worse overall defensively, but without Couturier I don't even want to think about what they would look like.

Giroux is better offensively than either than them and Couturier is better defensively than either of them. Put them together and it evens out. We just have more offense shifted to one line and more defense to one line, which in my opinion is better. One player who can score on anyone and one who can stop anyone.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

Mike Richards was my favorite Flyer when he was here but always thought he was overrated in his defensive game. Shorthanded he was amazing but 5v5 I wouldn't say he is that much better (if any) than Giroux. I also thought Carter was severely underrated as a defensive Center but he is no Couturier or even close.
Richards though > BSchenn by a mile right now. Even though it would be hard for me to reverse a trade, a Giroux, Couts, Richards trio for Centers wouldve been quite the lineup down the middle.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Mike Richards was my favorite Flyer when he was here but always thought he was overrated in his defensive game. Shorthanded he was amazing but 5v5 I wouldn't say he is that much better (if any) than Giroux. I also thought Carter was severely underrated as a defensive Center but he is no Couturier or even close.
Richards though > BSchenn by a mile right now. Even though it would be hard for me to reverse a trade, a Giroux, Couts, Richards trio for Centers wouldve been quite the lineup down the middle.

except that we had Briere getting in the way.

Crazy that Carter was tried so many times on the wing and it didn't work, then is fine in LA.

Oh well, life goes on with Couts and Jake.

Off topic, anyone worried that Jake will be gone when his contract is up? It seemed like his contract negotiations never went smoothly. Just curious on thoughts.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Off topic, anyone worried that Jake will be gone when his contract is up? It seemed like his contract negotiations never went smoothly. Just curious on thoughts.

Yeah. Whenever I go to capgeek I think about his contract in particular. He's very talented, no doubt, but still hasn't mastered a consistent scoring touch.

Let me qualify this. He goes through periods wherein:

1) He should shoot but does not.
2) He shoots and TastyKakes.
3) He should shoot, does shoot, misses the net too much.

It makes me wonder if Voracek will believe his price is higher then it is due to number 2 periods, while forgetting about 1 and 3 periods. His point totals will always be good, but he could be better. He's a complete player in basically every other regard. It has actually gotten to the point I dislike him as a player due to the frustration over time. This supermodel with a broken nose nonsense is insufferable. Fix it.

Can you really pay Voracek the money he'll command for a guy who probably doesn't score as much as he should on G's wing? Wouldn't you rather someone else for that price, re: A winger who has a better scoring touch? Isn't that what G needs?

Troubling questions.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah. Whenever I go to capgeek I think about his contract in particular. He's very talented, no doubt, but still hasn't mastered a consistent scoring touch.

It makes me wonder if Voracek will believe his price is higher then it is due to number 2 periods, while forgetting about 1 and 3 periods. His point totals will always be good, but he could be better. He's a complete player in basically every other regard. It has actually gotten to the point I dislike him as a player due to the frustration over time. This supermodel with a broken nose nonsense is insufferable. Fix it.

Can you really pay Voracek the money he'll command for a guy who probably doesn't score as much as he should on G's wing? Wouldn't you rather someone else for that price, re: A winger who has a better scoring touch? Isn't that what G needs?

Troubling questions.

And that is what I am wondering too. You know he will be getting over 6 mill as he will use someone like Eberle as a comparable AND he is a UFA, AND the cap is going up so that could push it to 7. And unless he pushes to a 70-75 point guy, that's way too much.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That's pretty far down my list of worries. I like Jake, but if he demands too much money they will be able to replace him.

Maybe he'll turn in two 70+ point seasons and make himself worth $7 million a year.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008

Troubling questions.

And that is what I am wondering too. You know he will be getting over 6 mill as he will use someone like Eberle as a comparable AND he is a UFA, AND the cap is going up so that could push it to 7. And unless he pushes to a 70-75 point guy, that's way too much.

Voracek will never make 7 Mil a year.

You guys are forgetting that there AREN'T options. We need to ice the best team > every contract being a "steal". It's not common for a player in his prime with skill like that to hit UFA. When it happens:
1. Someone WILL (over)pay them
2. They won't be "replaceable" (without giving picks/prospects)
3. If you miss out, you settle for even worse or wait till next year.

Given G's relationship with Voracek, and how Jake's work ethic has been great here, I'd be hard pressed not to give him 6.5-7.5 He's a top line player, those are in high demand and low supply.

Now if he hits 50pts every year and doesn't live up to his ability that's a different issue. I see him as ~65pts in his prime give/take 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad