Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody Acquired from Flyers for 3rd Round Pick (NJ) [UPD: Signed to 3-year ELC]

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't know if this guy is going to turn out, but just from watching him today he's clearly a good college player and he is clearly far more talented then your average 6th round pick; I'd need to watch him more to hazard a guess as to if he would likely outperform the pick we gave up for him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know if this guy is going to turn out, but just from watching him today he's clearly a good college player and he is clearly far more talented then your average 6th round pick; I'd need to watch him more to hazard a guess as to if he would likely outperform the pick we gave up for him.

What did his skating look like to you since you saw the entire game vs. my single period of viewing?

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
What did his skating look like to you since you saw the entire game vs. my single period of viewing?

His skating looks average to me. But kid has hands for sure. Thinks the game pretty well. I think he can be a 4th liner for us. If he gets faster than can be more.

Last 2 games he had a few chances. Few steals in the offensive zone. Not a bad gamble so far it appears. Nice find by Chia and Coompany

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Interesting, I hope that your take is more accurate than mine.
Did you find him below average? He certainly wasn't fast, likely somewhere between mine and rambo's opinion. If you only caught the 3rd period I think he was better in the 1st half of the game than the last half of the game. One thing for certain Hughes made everyone look a bit slow by comparison.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I watched the first and third period today. He's good at moving around the offensive zone to make plays and get open.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Did you find him below average? He certainly wasn't fast, likely somewhere between mine and rambo's opinion. If you only caught the 3rd period I think he was better in the 1st half of the game than the last half of the game. One thing for certain Hughes made everyone look a bit slow by comparison.

I only caught the 3rd of yesterday's game. Danc by comparison looked like a speedster.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
His skating looks average to me. But kid has hands for sure. Thinks the game pretty well. I think he can be a 4th liner for us. If he gets faster than can be more.

Last 2 games he had a few chances. Few steals in the offensive zone. Not a bad gamble so far it appears. Nice find by Chia and Coompany
A 3rd round pick for a 4th liner? That's not a win lol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I guess so. I mean there's also the waivers if we are digging that low

That's true. I think on a prospect board there are a majority of posters who have unrealistic expectations for how often a mid/late round pick should become an impact player.

Reactions: McNuge

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That's true. I think on a prospect board there are a majority of posters who have unrealistic expectations for how often a mid/late round pick should become an impact player.
Maybe this is why the Oilers haven't been good. We think it's okay to draft 4th liners with our 3rd rounders.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe this is why the Oilers haven't been good. We think it's okay to draft 4th liners with our 3rd rounders.

I'm just talking about the known outcomes from drafts.

Not going to argue that our drafting has been abysmal from rounds 2-7 for over a decade though. The number of really high second round picks that have failed is staggering and a huge reason why we have no depth, especially winger depth. There's always a top 6 winger or a starting goalie or bottom 4 Dman available with pick 31-36. We drafted none for a decade.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Well his season is over and no word on him signing. Thought he would sign quick so he could play tomorrow against Vancouver and burn a year of his ELC.
Anyone else worried Chia just flushed a third rounder for a guy that can walk as a UFA Aug 2019?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well his season is over and no word on him signing. Thought he would sign quick so he could play tomorrow against Vancouver and burn a year of his ELC.
Anyone else worried Chia just flushed a third rounder for a guy that can walk as a UFA Aug 2019?
No one should be, he wasn't going to play tomorrow against the Nucks, because I'm pretty sure it's not known if he's NHL ready or not. He'll be signed, it will be fine.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
in theory we hold his rights till August 15th 2019. He needs to tell his Uni if he is going back for his senior year by May if I am not mistaken. Depending on if you want to believe flyer fans or not, the ones I discussed things with believed that even before the trade he wanted to be a UFA and pick where he wanted to go. If he does go back for a Senior year..I predict he will go the UFA route and we will have wasted a pick--hope I am wrong

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Is Matheson right about this?

The Oilers wouldn’t have traded for Marody’s rights unless they knew they could sign him. The ball’s in Marody’s court. Because he played junior in the USHL before his first three years of college, he’s technically an unrestricted free-agent a la Justin Schultz if he decides to leave school now.

If he goes back for a fourth college year, the Oilers have until Aug. 15, 2019 to sign him.
Cooper Marody ahead of other Edmonton Oilers prospects

Edit: I'm guessing Matheson is wrong again. Marody stopped playing in the USHL before the 2015 draft. He's only played three seasons since being drafted and they were all in the NCAA at Michigan.

Schultz played one year in the BCHL after the Ducks drafted him and then three in the NCAA. That's why he was a UFA.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is Matheson right about this?

Cooper Marody ahead of other Edmonton Oilers prospects

Edit: I'm guessing Matheson is wrong again. Marody stopped playing in the USHL before the 2015 draft. He's only played three seasons since being drafted and they were all in the NCAA at Michigan.

Schultz played one year in the BCHL after the Ducks drafted him and then three in the NCAA. That's why he was a UFA.

Yeah, Matheson is wrong.

You need to play a year of junior after being drafted before going to school for that loophole.

And I'm not sure, but I think they closed that loophole in the last CBA.

Reactions: Del Preston

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I wouldn't sign and burn a year if I was Marody. He's not a player like Gaudreau that is sure to strike it rich. Maximizing his time on ELC and waiver exempt is in his favor, lest he get the Frank Corrado treatment.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would imagine he's still absorbing that loss less than 24 hours later. I wouldn't worry just yet about him not signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad