Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody Acquired from Flyers for 3rd Round Pick (NJ) [UPD: Signed to 3-year ELC]

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd really like to see him signed and put in contact with our skating and conditioning coaches.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't know anything about this player, but man he has an awesome hockey name.

Up there with Cal Clutterbuck, and Epsen Knutsen.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I'd really like to see him signed and put in contact with our skating and conditioning coaches.

I’ve read mixed reviews regarding his skating, Bob tweeted he was an excellent skater when they traded for him, hopefully he is in the AHL next year, the Athletic has a good article on him the other day, said he hasn’t decided yet if he will turn pro this year or next

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Not that I really really care what they do with a third round pick, but one would think that Chia would have CONFIRMED with the kids agent that he would sign before he spent a third on getting his rights... Not sure what the fuss is to go out and get this one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’ve read mixed reviews regarding his skating, Bob tweeted he was an excellent skater when they traded for him, hopefully he is in the AHL next year, the Athletic has a good article on him the other day, said he hasn’t decided yet if he will turn pro this year or next

Excellent skater by my eye is at least a RNH level skater and in Nuge's case it's a combo of edgework and to a lesser degree speed, Marody isn't close to that he's more like a Strome level skater and that might be a little generous on my part. I've only seen a period of one of his games IIRC and not once did I say "wow that skating will translate nicely to the NHL". To be fair to Bob many scouting reports mentioned his skating as a strength, I simply didn't see it that way at all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If I knew that we would sign him, I'd tell him to go back for his Senior season and have him work on his skating this summer. Since we don't know that and could lose him after that I would be trying to sign him now.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Good news for everyone freaking out that Chia flushed a third rounder.

Getting him signed and playing top six minutes in Bakersfield next season is the right move, IMO. Facing more difficult competition will help him.

Can we still panic for a little longer until it's official?

Reactions: Night Witch

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Not that I really really care what they do with a third round pick, but one would think that Chia would have CONFIRMED with the kids agent that he would sign before he spent a third on getting his rights... Not sure what the fuss is to go out and get this one.

Can't have an agent when you are in the NCAA.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Or do you just point it at something else. The amount of panic over a 3rd rounder traded for a very good college player is a little odd.

When the cupboards are so bare that it's become a necessity to squeeze every bit of talent out of any draft picks we have, i'm not surprised at the 'panic'.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Or do you just point it at something else. The amount of panic over a 3rd rounder traded for a very good college player is a little odd.

people are getting the % wrong for 3rd rounders--it is more like 20 to 30% make it to the show with 10% sticking Jujhar K was a third rounder.. more and more 3rd rounders turn into 3rd liners when allowed to develop.

I have always been a top 100 pick person. IF you look at the good teams drafting records in the third round--they usually draft a lot better then the bad teams. I did not like the 4th we have to montreal for Montoya because I have convinced myself he was about to be put on waivers--Price was coming off the IR and the habs were going to be forced to make a move.

I posted a lengthy post on 3rd round picks over the past 5 years or so and their NHL games played

So far I am one of a handful posters who can in one way or another defend nearly every move he has made.

Trading a 3rd for a player who could walk away for nothing in 15 months time? That would have been my braking point. Sounds crazy but makes sense to me. Marody is closer to the NHL then the player the Flyers take with that pick--it took Jujhar 5 years to get to the NHL and that is about the path for 3rd liners--Marody to me is someone who will get to the nhl for cup of coffee and for me that is worth the 3rd

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Can't have an agent, but you can have an "advisor" much like non-drafted CHL players have. Which is really just an agent who is not being paid until the player signs an NHL contract.

Are teams allowed to speak to the advisor though?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Are teams allowed to speak to the advisor though?

Marody is taking Sports Management at UM IIRC. Can probably work out his own contract, as I believe he wanted to be a players agent if he doesnt make the show.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Marody is taking Sports Management at UM IIRC. Can probably work out his own contract, as I believe he wanted to be a players agent if he doesnt make the show.

That would be wise if most ELC's are standard and he just has to negotiate his bonus structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad