News Article: Cooke hatefest

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Oh, and just a warning guys - make sure we don't say anything too mean about poor little Matt Cooke - Ray Shero might get upset with us...

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
^old time hockey.

tumblr_mc5lrtyWwu1qebewco1_500_zpsa71be366.gif

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I didn't like Cooke before he injured Karlsson and I sure as hell don't like him now. I'd love to see him get tuned, but winning tonight is more important...

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
I come in peace and just wanted to say that there is a price to pay for his dirty play.
I wish the sens much success on the hunt!

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I could have written that post today, 66 days ago, or five years ago. Sadly, I'll probably be able to quote it soon enough. He shouldn't be in hockey. Hell, if he wasn't a professional athlete where would he be? Jail? I wouldn't bet against it. And yes, I'm condemning the man's character on and off the ice. Lots of guys in jail have a wife and kid who love them, and a dog who can't wait until he gets home. Doesn't mean the guy isn't a piece of ****.

The only problem with your argument is that, by all accounts, Matt Cooke off the ice is nothing like he is on the ice. He plays the way he does because that's how he was taught to play in the OHL and, honestly, if he didn't play on that line he probably would never have got a crack at the NHL let alone spending over 15 years in the league.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He plays the way he does because that's how he was taught to play in the OHL and, honestly, if he didn't play on that line he probably would never have got a crack at the NHL let alone spending over 15 years in the league.

Well it sure is great that he's managed to stay in the league at the expense of the health and safety of other players.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
IMO 66 and other Pens are complicit in Cooke's shenanigans, by failing to address his actions publicly. It's interesting that Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang may skip Monday's game to "rest up". I wonder which other Pittsburg first liners will suddenly develop a case of Kassian-itis?

Not skipping to "rest up". Crosby (broken jaw), Malkin (shoulder), Neal (concussion), and Martin (broken hand) are still out with injuries. It sounds like Malkin may need surgery in the off-season for his shoulder. Letang caught a bug that's working through the team - Jokinen left a game last week because of sudden illness.

They're "getting healthy" but still not there. Crosby, Neal, and Martin still need to practice with the team before jumping back into the lineup.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Well it sure is great that he's managed to stay in the league at the expense of the health and safety of other players.

It's not his fault that teams keep giving him contracts.

I honestly think he would've been out of the league two years ago if he wasn't already under contract with a Penguins team who couldn't afford to waste the cap space. I've been hearing reports since October that the Penguins have absolutely no intention of bringing him back after this season; I wouldn't doubt he retires at that point, as it sounds like he doesn't want to uproot his family again.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Just to shed some more light on Penguins not in the lineup tonight:

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 4m
Fleury's wife about to have baby. Letang has food poisoning. Bennett day to say with upper body injury. All out tonight.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Today's game is not the game to make an example of this piece of ****. Only way I could see this game getting out of hand is, if he runs any of our guys over.

Get the 2 points and get out.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
Just to shed some more light on Penguins not in the lineup tonight:

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 4m
Fleury's wife about to have baby. Letang has food poisoning. Bennett day to say with upper body injury. All out tonight.

Wow. It's going to be like a pre-season lineup.

Still can't count the Penguins out though, not with that many captains on that team. Never count them out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It would be nice if we could sit star players to "get healthy" instead of sitting star players "because they've been injured all season". ;)

This is probably the first time this season where we've played a team with more talent out than us.

And that obviously doesn't mean an automatic win.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
That was after the cut was made, as you can see by Karlsson's face. I guess I should've clarified that with "before putting his foot down".

You don't know that. Nobody does. This is the only good quality picture we have, and like you said it occurs immediately after (within a fraction of a second). We don't know where he was looking the instant before the foot came down, but it's pretty obvious he knew precisely where Karlsson was since he was trying to pin him against the boards with his knee.

I'm not saying he did it on purpose, because there's no way to know. In the same vein, there's absolutely no way to know that he didn't do it on purpose. It's simple formal logic.

Milan the God*

That was after the cut was made, as you can see by Karlsson's face. I guess I should've clarified that with "before putting his foot down".

A question I have for Penguins fans:

You've all laughed at Sens fans for even suggesting Cooke would do this on purpose, despite Cooke already targeting Karlsson one other time and having a history of intentionally trying to injure players. However, in threads regarding Subban, a lot of you guys like to believe he intentionally used his skate to cut Jordan Staal in game one of the 2010 playoffs. The ones that don't, a lot fault Subban for being too reckless in this regard.

So my question is how can your fanbase say Subban did this on purpose or was at least reckless on the play, yet in a similar incident with Cooke (who actually has a reputation), you laugh at a fanbase for thinking the same?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
A question I have for Penguins fans:

You've all laughed at Sens fans for even suggesting Cooke would do this on purpose, despite Cooke already targeting Karlsson one other time and having a history of intentionally trying to injure players. However, in threads regarding Subban, a lot of you guys like to believe he intentionally used his skate to cut Jordan Staal in game one of the 2010 playoffs. The ones that don't, a lot fault Subban for being too reckless in this regard.

So my question is how can your fanbase say Subban did this on purpose or was at least reckless on the play, yet in a similar incident with Cooke (who actually has a reputation), you laugh at a fanbase for thinking the same?

I don't laugh at those calling it reckless, just those who think it was intentional. I think the same about Subban on Staal - reckless, not intentional.

Milan the God*

I don't laugh at those calling it reckless, just those who think it was intentional. I think the same about Subban on Staal - reckless, not intentional.

Fair enough. I don't know the specific Penguins fans, but I see enough of them calling Subban's intentional and Cooke's not, so I'm sure there's some in there that believe both.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

There is more proof that it was intentional than unintentional.

His history and reputation vs. his word.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He didn't intentionally go for the achilles tendon (why do Pens fan even bring this up?), but he was up to no good and meant to hurt even though Karlsson took precautions knowing who was behind him.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
If you look at a replay in super-slow motion often enough you can extrapolate just about anything you want from it. I don't think there is anything to be determined conclusively when it comes to intention. It was a very awkward looking play. Reckless? Probably. That's as far as I can go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad