News Article: Cooke hatefest

slapshot12phil

Dec 18, 2010
I think the issue is that people have a hard time grasping what purpose is. Cooke purposely drove his leg down. He was purposely engaged with Karlsson.

Did he purposely try and cut his tendon to 70%? Of course not, don't be ridiculous.

Was Todd Bertuzzi purposely trying to fracture Moore's vertebrate? NO! What he did do was purposely punch him from behind = the injury was on 'purpose'.

The way some people talk it's as if someone has shot someone and the murderer says, "oh I didn't purposely shoot him in the brain." It doesn't matter, you still shot him.

Stop playing word games and look at this from a critical point of view.

Exactly. 100% accurate.

He purposely went into the corner and tried to drive his skate onto Karlsson's leg.

Not the mention the chances of this being an accident....

There are over 600 players in the league yet this injury occurs to one of the best players in the league, and one of the dirtiest is responsible.

The chances of it occuring between Karlsson and Cooke are over 360,000 to 1.... Not very likely to be a complete accident. Cooke is a goon and doesnt deserve to be in this league.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the issue is that people have a hard time grasping what purpose is. Cooke purposely drove his leg down. He was purposely engaged with Karlsson.

Did he purposely try and cut his tendon to 70%? Of course not, don't be ridiculous.

Was Todd Bertuzzi purposely trying to fracture Moore's vertebrate? NO! What he did do was purposely punch him from behind = the injury was on 'purpose'.

The way some people talk it's as if someone has shot someone and the murderer says, "oh I didn't purposely shoot him in the brain." It doesn't matter, you still shot him.

Stop playing word games and look at this from a critical point of view.

Very well said.

Milan the God*

It's an interesting debate to judge if Cooke did mean to injure Karlsson. What also has to be noted: as much as you can say Cooke has 'changed his ways', he still has a history of attempting to injure some very good players in our league.

As for the game, first and foremost, I want a win. That's the most important part. We're four points away from clinching a playoff berth in a season where we were expected to suck due to injuries. I don't want this to be affected because we try to go after Cooke. The Penguins are without Crosby, Malkin, Neal and possibly Letang. These guys were the main reason we lost to them twice this season. We have a legitimate chance to win, especially at home, and push us within a win or a Winnipeg loss, to clinching the playoffs.

Anyone remember last year? A little different, but we needed a win at home against Pittsburgh. They had some injuries. What happened? We beat them 8-4 and won until we clinched a playoff spot. Let's let history repeat itself and do this again.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
It's an interesting debate to judge if Cooke did mean to injure Karlsson. What also has to be noted: as much as you can say Cooke has 'changed his ways', he still has a history of attempting to injure some very good players in our league.

As for the game, first and foremost, I want a win. That's the most important part. We're four points away from clinching a playoff berth in a season where we were expected to suck due to injuries. I don't want this to be affected because we try to go after Cooke. The Penguins are without Crosby, Malkin, Neal and possibly Letang. These guys were the main reason we lost to them twice this season. We have a legitimate chance to win, especially at home, and push us within a win or a Winnipeg loss, to clinching the playoffs.

Anyone remember last year? A little different, but we needed a win at home against Pittsburgh. They had some injuries. What happened? We beat them 8-4 and won until we clinched a playoff spot. Let's let history repeat itself and do this again.

Extremely well put. :handclap:

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
Find the error here. You get 2 minutes for high stick (4 minutes if blood is found) and nothing for reckless use of the most dangerous thing on the ice... skates cuts like razors!!!

Cooke will never change. He is a dirty idiot that should not belong in the NHL.

As for tomorrows game, the Sens should concentrate on the game only. Now is not the time to seek revenge.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
Even if Matt Cooke plays, he isn't going to fight anyone?

Why would he step up against Kassian or Neil or even Smith? What good does it to him?

He refused to fight Shean Donovan after the latter came back early from a blow-out knee to face him in a game. SHEAN f'ing DONOVAN, and Cooke ran straight back to the bench, pale as a sheet.

Anybody who expects him to drop the gloves against the likes of Neil and Kassian is going to be a sad panda tomorrow. He probably wouldn't even fight Smith.

nobody_likes_a_sad_panda_postcard-rfea3d3d570b24c9a94b524181d61d440_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruin's fan (and queen of the cooke haters here)

cooke hit Adam McQuaid low (by mistake of course) at the B's game yesterday and injured him

I hope you Sens give cooke a tough time I HATE him. He is in a class of his own..LOW class.

Thanks Ladyfan and Marc "Savvy" Savard

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
IMO 66 and other Pens are complicit in Cooke's shenanigans, by failing to address his actions publicly. It's interesting that Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang may skip Monday's game to "rest up". I wonder which other Pittsburg first liners will suddenly develop a case of Kassian-itis?

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
IMO 66 and other Pens are complicit in Cooke's shenanigans, by failing to address his actions publicly. It's interesting that Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang may skip Monday's game to "rest up". I wonder which other Pittsburg first liners will suddenly develop a case of Kassian-itis?

Crosby, Malkin, and Neal have all been out of games for Pittsburgh for a while now. Haven't heard anything confirming Letang sitting out yet.

Here's to a good, clean, hard fought game. Good luck!

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013
The amount of people who actually believe that Cooke cut him on purpose is simply mind boggling. It was a complete accident. Seriously, grow up get over it!

:shakeheadIf you raise up your skate leg, and step it down on the back of one's leg(just above the unprotected leg area above the skate) as you are pinning a player against the boards,....what would you think Cooke was trying to do? Don't tell me hockey is a fast game,..and he may have been off balance. Because you couldn't find another player in the NHL,..that has better balance on their skates,....than Cooke. Add in to all this, Cooke is the dirtiest POS in NHL history,....what's "so mindboggling"?:help:

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013
:shakeheadIf you raise up your skate leg, and step it down on the back of one's leg(just above the unprotected leg area above the skate) as you are pinning a player against the boards,....what would you think Cooke was trying to do? Don't tell me hockey is a fast game,..and he may have been off balance. Because you couldn't find another player in the NHL,..that has better balance on their skates,....than Cooke. Add in to all this, Cooke is the dirtiest POS in NHL history,....what's "so mindboggling"?:help:

^ This! i've been stalking this forums for a while now and didn't actually plan to post here much, but it's just mindboggling to me that Senators fans here are trying to "justify" Cooke's actions or choose to believe that it was a accident. :help: Maybe I'm just biased because Karlsson is my favourite player, but it definitely seemed he purposely stepped down on his leg..ugh just thinking about it makes me :cry: :(

sorry for my bad English..hope you guys get what I'm trying to say though.

Milan the God*

The clip out of which those tweets were made of Cooke

I posted my opinion about Cooke on the Bruins board, so I'll kind of repeat it here.

Jack Edwards did go a little too far over the top with this comment. I doubt he's really sorry. He's very outspoken and over-the-top. I'm sure the Bruins told him to apologize right away for PR related reasons, which is understandable.

However, it's the context he's using it in. Everybody knows what he really means, but some are more offended by it than others. He's basically saying that Cooke is among the dirtiest in the league and the award wasn't deserving to him. Sirham Sirham was an awful person and he wasn't deserving of anything among his peers, either. He probably shouldn't throw Sirhan Sirhan's name out like that, but as I said, he's over the top.

On the topic of Cooke actually being nominated for this...I can't believe it. I thought the same in 2012, when he was nominated, so it's not linked to Karlsson's injury.

The definition of the award is "The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is an annual award under the trusteeship of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association and is given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey."

I fail to see how Cooke fits the bill for this one. He went from the dirtiest and most reckless player in the league to a tamer player who didn't rack up a lot of PIMs? That's a good improvement, but we're rewarding someone who's had a history of being dirty because he stopped injuring people for a year? :help:

I don't know, I just feel like if Cooke made it onto the top three nominations for it, it would look extremely bad for the league. You're basically saying that if you become dirty and reckless, and stop your antics for a year, you should win an award? I don't get it.

I hold a grudge over him from the Marc Savard incident, honestly. Not only did Cooke end his career, but the damage also caused Savard's life to be altered forever. I remember reading he couldn't even remember his own children's names for a while. Reading that really sinks in. It's one thing when you take them out with an injury, but when the injury starts going to that degree, wow.

Anyways, look at the nominees in past years for the Masterton and even look at Bill Masterton himself. They all show a crazy dedication to hockey. Ian Laperrière had crazy concussion problems and blocked a shot with his face and pretty much wrecked his eyes. Blake fought leukemia and still put up a very respectable 50+ points. Kessel had a testicle removed. Then we throw Cooke in there. All of these players did something memorable and amazing. Cooke stopped taking PIMs and hitting guys from behind/knee-on-knee.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don't think the Cooke hit was on purpose, and I honestly think we look a little crazy if we hold that belief.

I do think the hit was reckless however, I think that's fair. But Melnyk really needs to drop this forensic investigation thing.. :loony:

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think the Cooke hit was on purpose, and I honestly think we look a little crazy if we hold that belief.

I do think the hit was reckless however, I think that's fair. But Melnyk really needs to drop this forensic investigation thing.. :loony:

I'm with you. It's just so god damned embarrassing. :facepalm:

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Kind of a dumb idea for a hatefest, really I would focus all my hate on the refs who missed the whistle call when the puck went into the netting. They make that simple call and nothing happens.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
People have their life priorities in the wrong place if they're cheering for anything but a Sens win first and foremost.

What is a Kassian-Cooke fight going to accomplish? Is Kassian knocking Cooke on his arse going to produce a time machine that can allow us to go back in time, and prevent Karlsson's injury?

I mean sure: seeing Cooke "get his" would be ok, but it's like 8th on the list of things I want to see... the first thing being a win, and the next 6 things on that list being goals. By our guys. In Pittsburgh's net.

... also: Melnyk not acting like a lunatic when directly addressing the media would be cool, too:
Being outraged = ok, totally understandable.
The forensic thing = embarrassing.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If Cooke doesn't play, just go after Malkin or Letang.

So the answer to not being able to beat up a guy you hate is to do the exact same thing that made you hate him in the first place?

"This guy is literally the worst thing to ever happen to the league, and if we can't fight him, then the next best thing is to completely condone his behavior by basically doing the exact same thing he did that got us so mad in the first place. And it will be totally fine when we do it, but he is still basically Satan for having done it before us."

Right.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Bruins fan here, there is a reason that it's always Cooke involved in these 'borderline' plays that injures people. Yeah, he probably didn't mean to intentionally cut Karlson's Achilles, just like you don't mean to intentionally roll a car over when you drive 100 mph. He's intentionally reckless. He meant to hit McQuaid like he did and if the guy gets hurt, then it's a whoops.

Don't bother trying to fight him because clowns like Cooke and p***y Chokinen will only turtle and get the power play.

Good luck tonight.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Bruins fan here, there is a reason that it's always Cooke involved in these 'borderline' plays that injures people. Yeah, he probably didn't mean to intentionally cut Karlson's Achilles, just like you don't mean to intentionally roll a car over when you drive 100 mph. He's intentionally reckless. He meant to hit McQuaid like he did and if the guy gets hurt, then it's a whoops.

Don't bother trying to fight him because clowns like Cooke and p***y Chokinen will only turtle and get the power play.

Good luck tonight.

That's how I see it (and thank you for wishing us luck). Keep inmind he was pissed that game after taking a Gonchar slapper high. Sure, he controls himself most of the time now, but I believe he lost that self control when he got pissed and then reacted with reckless play. Don't think he was aiming to cut anyone's achilles, but I do think he intended to be reckless.

Still, I don't give a **** about Cooke. We can worry about him if we meet up in the playoffs. I just want to win tonight. Revenge is stupid, lets just take care of business.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Cooke has done very bad things (and Pens told him they would kick him out if another incident occured after McDonagh hit), but that was not on purpose.

I can't believe people are still talking about that.

I heard the Pens put their foot down on this one and held strong to their ruling of "3,000 strikes and you're out."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad