GDT: [CONVERTED]Leafs vs Islanders | Thur, Feb 12 | SPOILER ALERT: Lupul Hurt Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
Kind of hate the idea they even have to give their thumbs up. What's the point of Shanahan or Lieweke?

Their point is to set direction and make things happen. Their point is to convince the board why these things need to happen and how by making them happen future outcomes will improve.

The key thing here is since the board has approved of a rebuild, a rebuild will happen. You don't pitch to the board and then not do what you pitched.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I must say that I'm really happy to see Kadri play with emotion and pride. A year ago I would have thought he'd be one of the first to fold in a situation like this.

It must give him a lot of confidence that Shanahan wants to keep him around where as the opposite affect is probably taking hold of the players/core on their way out.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I meant in a showing leadership way. Whats so facepalm worthy?

Last I checked phaneuf had just as many fights as any other captain in the league if not more. And it's not like he doesn't play physical. Saying phaneuf doesn't stand up for his teammates is a dumb thing to say. He just can't do everything himself.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Perhaps, but the guy is coming out and playing with twice the intensity compared to most of our forwards tonight, something I find much, much more telling.

Still lacks a little in the skill department though eh? Could work on his shooting,stick handling or even something as mundane as shooting pucks off the glass in the defensive zone.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Last I checked phaneuf had just as many fights as any other captain in the league if not more. And it's not like he doesn't play physical. Saying phaneuf doesn't stand up for his teammates is a dumb thing to say. He just can't do everything himself.

I meant it as he's not a good captain. Should have revised the statement a little

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Their point is to set direction and make things happen. Their point is to convince the board why these things need to happen and how to by making them happen future outcomes will improve.

The key thing here is since the board has approved of a rebuild, a rebuild will happen. You don't pitch to the board and then not do what you pitched.

We all can like it because it's what most of us want, I think anyway. Problem for me is this. How is this different than Ballard or Peddie? because they agreed? I don't like a business BOG setting a sports team's direction. You hire GM's and Presidents for that.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
If anything it's the other way around. When no one stood up for Dion after Staal shot the puck at him, the season was officially over.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We all can like it because it's what most of us want, I think anyway. Problem for me is this. How is this different than Ballard or Peddie? because they agreed? I don't like a business BOG setting a sports team's direction. You hire GM's and Presidents for that.

To be honest, I think this is pretty common. I'm pretty sure that in most franchises, the Presidents/GMs needs to get some approval from the BOG for decisions on that magnitude. I'd expect firings of GMs and coaches, decisions about long term direction etc always gets brought by the owners. You just don't read about it.

In most cases I think it's formal. The owners trust the President they hired, so there is not much of a sell needed. From what I've read, the Leafs owners seem different in that regard.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Were did the Stars come into this? I mean I know they apparently have interest
I just wanted to point out that i don't care if he improves as a captain and leader because he will be gone soon. Management wants to change the leadership group and Lupul will be difficult to trade with his contract and injuries.

not when they're making gross jokes about the sedins.
they need Dion to change the music.
That was supposed to be the joke.
Did you change your name?

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo

Bringing up Ballard in a Leaf's thread is akin to invoking Godwin's Law.

As it is a business first and foremost all decisions of that magnitutde have to go before the board. You can't just let one guy do whatever the heck wants with other people's money. If you have a bad board then you have a big problem.

The GM and President are setting direction, but it still requires board approval.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I just wanted to point out that i don't care if he improves as a captain and leader because he will be gone soon. Management wants to change the leadership group and Lupul will be difficult to trade with his contract and injuries.

That was supposed to be the joke.
Did you change your name?

lol yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad