Controversial goal by Crosby

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
69.7 Rebounds and Loose Pucks - In a rebound situation, or where a
goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to
play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is
scored as a result thereof will be allowed.

For anyone wondering why it wasn't GI
Why is everyone ignoring this? Take 30 seconds to read both rules that applied to this goal and there is no more argument. Good goal.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is quite simple to copy paste something from the rule book:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2017-2018-NHL-rulebook.pdf

For example:
1) Interference on the Goalkeeper ....Goals should be disallowed if: (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease.

2) For purpose of this rule "contact", whether incidental or otherwise, shall mean any contact that is made between or among a goalkeeper and attacking player(s), whether by means of a stick or any part of the body.

You are aware that what you posted isn't the relevant rule here, right? That rule is relevant for when the puck isn't loose around the goalie. For when the puck is loose around the goalie? Here you go:

69.7 Rebounds and Loose Pucks- In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.

This is a clear cut case, this is 100% a legitimate goal.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It's not a controversial goal if you actually know the rules for why the goal counted. This is the rule:

“The video review process shall be permitted to assist the Referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are “good hockey goals”). For example (but not limited to), pucks that enter the net by going through the net meshing, pucks that enter the net from underneath the net frame, pucks that hit the spectator netting prior to being directed immediately into the goal, pucks that enter the net undetected by the Referee, etc. This would also include situations whereby the Referee stops play or is in the process of stopping the play because he has lost sight of the puck and it is subsequently determined by video review that the puck crosses (or has crossed) the goal line and enters the net as the culmination of a continuous play where the result was unaffected by the whistle (i.e., the timing of the whistle was irrelevant to the puck entering the net at the end of a continuous play).”

This goal counted because the puck was on its way into the net when the whistle was blown, so blowing the whistle early didn't impact whether the goal was scored or not. It's the same concept for when a goal counts when the net is knocked off. If a puck is going in the net and the net gets knocked off while the puck is already on its trajectory into the net, it's a good goal.

Why the Sissons goal didn't count? This rule only applies if the puck is already on a trajectory going into the net when the whistle is blown. Sissons scored after the play was blown dead.

Countless goals have been disallowed under identical circumstances. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a goal actually count under these circumstances.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The difference between this and the Sissons goal are clear
One is the face of the league and the one the league and networks want to win and see succeed and the other is Colton Sissons and if his goal had of counted it would have prevented the golden boy from winning another Cup

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
the league needs Pittsburgh in the playoffs

there's a reason they are #1 in powerplays

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Countless goals have been disallowed under identical circumstances. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a goal actually count under these circumstances.

It's not the first, the Flames had a similar goal count for them last year.

A Sabres fan pointed me out to this goal that was the same thing last year, this was the same kind of situation. It didn't even need to go to replay, it was called a goal after consulting with the other refs.

One is the face of the league and the one the league and networks want to win and see succeed and the other is Colton Sissons and if his goal had of counted it would have prevented the golden boy from winning another Cup

Should I even bother explaining the difference to you? Because I feel like even if I do, you're way too biased to even accept my response. You can't discuss something rationally with an irrational person, and this thread seems to be littered with irrational people.

They:

A. Are not 1st in powerplays, they are 3rd
B. Are also 2nd in games played
C. Are also 3rd in times shorthanded

I don't even know why I'm bothering responding to people in here at this point. People are just lying at this point because they have an ax to grind with Pittsburgh because their team isn't as good as the Penguins.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
You are aware that what you posted isn't the relevant rule here, right?
I am aware that you posted an irrelevant rule about an incidental contact. Everyone one can copy-paste. But the reading skill is much more important one. Please master it first before continue this conversation with me. I am kinda tired of laughing at your posts :thumbd:

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyMike01

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I think it even says this in the rule book.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

They did a pretty shit job at helping the pens last game. Considering they lost. Hopefully you're right though. We don't look so good, need all the points and help we can get. Metro is tough.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am aware that you posted irrelevant rule about incidental contact. Everyone one can copy-paste. But the reading skill is much more important one. Please master it first before continue this conversation with me. I am kinda tired to laugh at you.

That rule wasn't about incidental contact, that was about situations where the puck was in the crease and a rebound was occurring. Here, I will post the rule again:

In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.

This is the rule that makes it a goal. That is the end of the discussion. I don't know why you're so stubborn that you refuse to admit this. It's clearly in the rule book that the rule most applicable to Crosby's situation shows that it was a goal. The rule you posted was if Crosby interfered with the goalie when another person was taking a shot from somewhere else on the ice, not a situation where Crosby was playing a rebound that was laying on top of Khudobin.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this at this point, you are 100% wrong here and anyone without an agenda to push realizes that you're wrong here. But whatever, it's not my job to convince irrational people that rational concepts are true.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Enjoy cheering for a team that always gets the benefit of doubt and never gets a bad break go against them. Lotteries, calls, everything goes Pittsburgh’s way magically

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
They did a pretty **** job at helping the pens last game. Considering they lost. Hopefully you're right though. We don't look so good, need all the points and help we can get. Metro is tough.

you guys really do need help to get into the playoffs this season

but once you're in uh oh, no more help needed

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
you know the difference one has on the Pittsburgh sweater and the other was playing

Okay, so you don't want me to explain why they were different, and I was right that you were too biased to even care? Just so we're clear.

Except the fact that your team will always get the benefit of a doubt and others don’t. Lottery “luck” and refs and TV network money always outweigh drafting, player development and shrewd trades. Enjoy it while it lasts without a generational talent on it’s roster your franchise is a laughingstock.

Someone is ultra bitter that the Predators lost to the Penguins last year. Here, this should soothe you:

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
The biggest problem I had was how Khudobin gets slashed in wrist/head when he's going to bat the puck out of the air. I don't understand how that's not interference.

This is the part I don't get. With all the terrible "slight bump into the goalie so no goal" calls this year I can't see why this should count but a slight bump or stick to the goalies stick play shouldn't. The puck goes up into the air and Khudobin is trying to extend his blocker out to punch the puck away but Crosby swings at the puck and hits the goalie in the arm, certainly "interfering with his ability to make the save". Crosby is standing in the crease too, Isn't he impeding Khudobin's movement as soon as he touches him.

Now don't get me wrong, I think goals like this should count for the most part but I don't see how this one should when so many others haven't this year. I genuinely have no idea what goalie interference is and that is a big problem in the league today.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Okay, so you don't want me to explain why they were different, and I was right that you were too biased to even care? Just so we're clear.

Someone is ultra bitter that the Predators lost to the Penguins last year. Here, this should soothe you:

[mod]
I just don’t like a team that doesn’t earn anything and is gifted championships because of lottery luck.
2 years after golden boy’s retirement your team will be a laughingstock again and the league will have to gift you another superstar to save you from bankruptcy

Last edited by a moderator:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Enjoy cheering for a team that always gets the benefit of doubt and never gets a bad break go against them. Lotteries, calls, everything goes Pittsburgh’s way magically

When's the last time we haven't had a generational player? Enjoy it while it lasts? That makes no sense, like you said, we always magically luck into the #1 pick for a generational talent. We'll be bad the year sid retires, but the NHL will rig us the next Crosby. So it looks like us pens fans will be enjoying generational talents forever.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
2 years after golden boy’s retirement your team will be a laughingstock again and the league will have to gift you another superstar to save you from bankruptcy

At least my team won 3 cups with that goldenboy. Remind me again, how many cups do you have?

Seriously bro, you're going to chirp the Penguins when they have 3 cups because "UR GONNA SUCK WHEN CROSBY ISN'T THERE!!!!". What has your team done? You only had to wait 18 seasons to make your first cup finals appearance, so maybe you guys can get back there by 2025 or 2030. Maybe someday you guys might win a cup. When your team has been irrelevant for 17 out of 18 seasons they have existed, maybe you shouldn't throw shots at a team who has more cup wins in the last 8 years than you guys will likely have when your organization turns 40 seasons old.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I just don’t like a team that doesn’t earn anything and is gifted championships because of lottery luck.

Okay. That seems like a good thing for us. Why are you using it as an insult? We'll always be good and have a Superstar...seems like a good thing for us, Along with free championships. Sounds awesome.

Reactions: TNT87

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Crosby clearly slashed Doby while making for a play on the puck. Yes, that annoying Pens poster posted the rule, but the semantics of what they deem to be " incidental " are awfully loose here. No matter, the Pens lost anyway.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
I am aware that you posted an irrelevant rule about an incidental contact. Everyone one can copy-paste. But the reading skill is much more important one. Please master it first before continue this conversation with me. I am kinda tired of laughing at your posts :thumbd:
Everyone can copy paste, but you need to know what to copy paste. It's funny that you bring up reading comprehension because that's the disconnect here it seems. Poster A copy pastes relevant rule, Poster B (you) Laugh at it and copy paste the wrong rule, repeat. Maybe get a rest?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m a Kings fan, don’t like the Penguins, or Crosby for that matter. I’m surprised that they gave the goal but they were correct in doing so. Good goal, most of the replies here are demonstrating either a lack of understanding or a great ability to troll. I suspect the latter in most cases.

Empoleon8771 you’ve explained the play and the rules great, I read everything before watching the play and saw pretty much what I expected to see.

That hurt.. don’t like the Penguins..

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Well it's not like Lemieux and Burkle are broke and selling off superstars so 2yrs after Sid and Geno retire I think we'll be ok. We'll have to wait and see won't we? Unless your crystal ball has some info we don't know.

Man so many non Pens fans in here saying the goal is good, understanding the rule. Then there's the usual trolls that come out to any Pens related threads.

Even when we suck this year, people just can't help but be salty as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad