Rumor: Contract talks between Gallagher and the Habs break down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
In the past sure

But their 2 best players in the playoffs were Kotka& Suzuki and top prospect is goal scoring Rw.
Add Toffoli and Anderson

They aren’t desperate to give an anchor contract to Gallagher
The playoffs were an extremely small sample size. And he has been the heart and soul of their team for years. Any contract they give him won't be close to the anchor of a contract they gave Anderson (unless Bergevin reads this and takes that as a challenge)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ha: Anderson’s contract looks big given free agency.

I think there might be Covid uncertainty: how much can Montreal give him if the cap stays flat?

? They're over the cap right now and John Lu has said the want to be around 79m this year...

They won't have an internal cap after making the bubble playoffs. Molson probably made a fortune during the pandemic.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Montreal is a team that struggles to finish and Gallagher is by far their best goal scorer. IMO walking away from him would be a mistake.

With Suzuki and kk developing. Caufield taking his spot. And maybe adding a piece here and there we will be fine.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I have to admit i am ok with walking away from Gally if he wants higher that 5.5M. I often wonder if his next contract will bite us due to his style of play. And with Caufield on deck we are covered.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The playoffs were an extremely small sample size. And he has been the heart and soul of their team for years. Any contract they give him won't be close to the anchor of a contract they gave Anderson (unless Bergevin reads this and takes that as a challenge)

Of course it’s a small sample size but you realize we are talking of 2 A level 21& 20y forwards who should only keep getting better?

Suzuki and Kotka are the future of the Montreal.
Add Caufield, Toffoli, Anderson, Drouin and they aren’t desperate for goals anymore

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
tumblr_ptiohpFnBk1w4diwfo2_500.gifv
Bergevin: You want Gallagher?
Dubas: I'm actually calling about Cameron Hillis
Bergevin: Who de hell is Cameron Hillis?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
In the past sure

But their 2 best players in the playoffs were Kotka& Suzuki and top prospect is goal scoring Rw.
Add Toffoli and Anderson

They aren’t desperate to give an anchor contract to Gallagher

Making sweeping changes because of 10 games is a mistake. Those players are both still young and developing but neither of them were big goal scorers at lower levels. Caufield is a sniper, yes, but still a prospect. Toffoli is another notorious play driver that struggles to finish. Anderson has been on both sides of that coin so it remains to be seen what he is going forward.

Gallagher is the proven, high end goal scorer on that team.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd honestly move Gally for a sick return, don't think he's the heart of the team, nor do I think he's a playoff guy. Media have been hyping him up for the past 8 years so the return would be fantastic.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Think this is bs haha. Gallagher will get signed to a bigger contract than Anderson-around 6.5m for 6 years.

Reactions: Iracundia

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Its early but saying that. If I'm Gallagher and I know I am the best player not on an elc. I want to be paid not just more than Anderson 5.5. I want more than Petry's 6.25m.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Habs would be wise to just wait,and see if their kids are ready to take his spot before they move him

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Making sweeping changes because of 10 games is a mistake. Those players are both still young and developing but neither of them were big goal scorers at lower levels. Caufield is a sniper, yes, but still a prospect. Toffoli is another notorious play driver that struggles to finish. Anderson has been on both sides of that coin so it remains to be seen what he is going forward.

Suzuki was OHL playoffs MVP and was likely equal to or better than Marner's MVP run when you compare how good they were with their team/line mates. The worry was his skating and his ability to play his game at the NHL level which he put to rest last season. He was at a 60-70 point pace for the last half of the season after being moved off the third/fourth lines into the top 6.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Nowhere did I say they’d do it now

Just they aren’t desperate to give up an anchor contract to Gallagher because they’ve rebuild their offense

Again both, or all 3 Suzuki, Kotka, Caufield are A level talents and were before draft and are today.
They aren’t out of nowhere miracles

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Toffoli does not drive play, and does not struggle to finish. You sure you got the right player there?

Gallagher is not a high end goal scorer either, not a sniper and his hands were seriously injured in past seasons. He's a volume banger, garbage collector and he does it very well.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I definitely see him leaving and would have been gone if this offseason forward value wasn't so garbage.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Out of curiosity, whats the most a team would give for an extended Gally?
Hard to say,he is great little net crasher...But he is also getting up there,and with his style of play it would be a risk on giving him a long term deal...But someone will want him for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad