Contract negotiations not going to Markov's taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Meh. I'll believe it only when Markov's re-signed, traded or gone...
Until then, I won't believe what media have to say. I strongly doubt they know anything. Or they're just misconstruing thins intentionally, like most of the time.

I am with you man . I also warn the internet GMs to be careful what they wish for . No team is going to give up any impact player in a swap and so it will all be up to Timmins to make something of it. Then there's the not so small matter of losing Markov - great defenseman , great pp guy , mentor , leader . Good luck with an offensively challenged team losing this guy.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Not that I think anything is going to come of this and as much as I despise rumours and **** like this; why Wilson?

At some point, this team needs talent. Real talent. And Burakowsky does have size. A pretty package that is needed.

...Wilson has hands, size, skill, huge hitter, rowdy, drives the net...the whole package...I love what the kid brings...we have a fair bit of skill guys in the system (Ghetto, Lehkonen, Collberg, Reway); Wilson's a big right-handed power forward in the making...

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
He's a old slow offensive dman that is only remotely effective because of his hockey sense. What does he except a big contract? At times this year he has been poor defensively and that will only get worse. Based on MB's approach we should get a young good f

Waaaaaay too far for what Markov has done for us thru his career. He is IMO in running for our best D man this season. solid +/- solid point production, and still able to manage major minutes despite his age and major injury hurdles he has had to climb. If he is traded it better be for a good return, because the hole he will leave might be bigger than you think, especially with this D crew.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i'd trade him only if were getting good, needed pieces back. he's still a very good #2-3 and is still absolutely necessary on the powerplay until brolieu is ready to completely take over

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I am with you man . I also warn the internet GMs to be careful what they wish for . No team is going to give up any impact player in a swap and so it will all be up to Timmins to make something of it. Then there's the not so small matter of losing Markov - great defenseman , great pp guy , mentor , leader . Good luck with an offensively challenged team losing this guy.

No properly managed team should be sitting around now wondering how they are going to replace their 35 yr old UFA D-man who's had a bad history of injuries

When any key player hits late 20s they should have his replacement in the system ready to takeover when that day comes

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
No properly managed team should be sitting around now wondering how they are going to replace their 35 yr old UFA D-man who's had a bad history of injuries

When any key player hits late 20s they should have his replacement in the system ready to takeover when that day comes

And is not guaranteed of signing

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...you answered your own post, amigo...properly managed is the key...we weren't...I'm wondering if we are yet...we'll find out very soon...

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
please trade him while hes worth something

the guy is good for 40 games a year now

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

that's horse**** he busted his knee twice, almost back to back and only tore his ligament the last time, that's it. now, he's got a new, stronger ligament. that's not a 'bad history of injury'. does galchenyuk have a bad history of injuries too since both he and markov share the exact same injury? or emelin? or gorges?

and as far as i know, there is no evidence that there is a higher risk of reinjuring the ligament after a ligament replacement and a proper convalescence - which he certainly did

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
I love Markov, I really do, but he is one player on this team that should be traded at the deadline. He is in decline, but other teams will go after him as a rental and we can get a good mix of picks and maybe a piece back. Obviously the deal has to be right, but I believe it can. We will free up salary and go after someone that can help out with scoring, which has been putrid for what seems like ages now. Bring up Tinordi from the farm. We all know Beaulieu can play at the NHL level. Markov is the only asset we can let go that can give us a nice return.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
When a player gets hurt the team doesn't pay him...the insurance does.

well that depends... if you want to take doug McLean's word for it: Columbus didn't insure every player and never insured up to 100% of salary as that was not available

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
that's horse**** he busted his knee twice, almost back to back and only tore his ligament the last time, that's it. now, he's got a new, stronger ligament. that's not a 'bad history of injury'. does galchenyuk have a bad history of injuries too since both he and markov share the exact same injury? or emelin? or gorges?

and as far as i know, there is no evidence that there is a higher risk of reinjuring the ligament after a ligament replacement and a proper convalescence - which he certainly did
The difference is one is 35 and one is 19...
And didn't Markov blow his ACL twice?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If your goona sign him ,as a life timer Hab sign him....
I'd like to see him stay, but not at any price.

The Flames waited to long to trade Iggy and got a weak return.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Markov will probably want to cash in one more time before he retires, probably in the 3-4 year range. He has comparables with Streit and Gonchar who recently got hefty paydays. His last contract was a hometown discount since he could have got more on the market. His contract will also fall under over 35 which gives him a NTC and NMC. I'll have to check this bit but, I think if he retires before the contract expires, the cap hit remains.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
that's *********, he busted his knee twice, almost back to back and only tore his ligament the last time, that's it. now, he's got a new, stronger ligament. that's not a 'bad history of injury'. does galchenyuk have a bad history of injuries too since both he and markov share the exact same injury? or emelin? or gorges?

and as far as i know, there is no evidence that there is a higher risk of injuring the ligament after a ligament replacement and proper convalescence - which he certainly did

He missed nearly 2.5 years, call that what you want, but regardless 5 years ago someone should've been looking at who is going to replace him when the end comes -probably should've been McDonagh but I'll leave that alone

LouisJCloutier

Aug 4, 2006
Gaspésie
If they want to trade Markov, why not keep Diaz ? Maybe they want another d-man in return or they hope to get a UFA this summer or they keep MURRAY ??? Without Markov, next year looks like this right now:

Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Beaulieu
Drewiske
Tinordi
Pateryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad