Contender or Pretender? Deadline Wishlist

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Garrioch reported that the asking price from Ottawa was a 1st and a top prospect, he's not going to come cheap, if you want him you better commit to losing your 1st. Just look back on those Markov threads from last season, that's a comparable value

well, sure, at this time, probably. But as the season gets close to trade deadline and as the demand is probably going lower, his value is likely going to down especially for a impending UFA. Just like how Vanek's value dropped like a fly last year

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
With a few tweaks we could be a Cinderella contender this season. Who can we add at the trading deadline that is affordable, realistic additions.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Tlusty-Plekanec-Parenteau
Sekec-Eller-Talbot
Prust-Malhotra-Weise
Andrigetto

Markov-Subban
Sekera-Gonchar
Beaulieu-Weaver
Gilbert

Price
Tokarski

*Andrej Sekera and Jiri Tlusty from Carolina for Alexei Emelin and David Desharnais
*Max Talbot from Colorado Avalanche for Greg Pateryn, 3rd and 5th round picks.

I like what I saw in Sekera and Tlusty tonight. Sekera always make first pass out of the zone and we need that kind of defense. I don't see Emelin doing that often. Tlusty has lots of speed and had played with Plekanec in the past. Talbot will stabilize our 3rd line with Sekec and Eller.

I'm pretty sure Carolina would want picks and young players if they move Tlusty and Sekera.

No way Talbot is worth Pateryn and two picks, the guy is a 4th liner on pace for around 20 points.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
well, sure, at this time, probably. But as the season gets close to trade deadline and as the demand is probably going lower, his value is likely going to down especially for a impending UFA.

Demand doesn't usually go down around deadline time, there are 3 possible outcomes.

1. Carolina keeps him, not a bad thing if he resigns, but if he walks they look like idiots
2. Carolina holds out for the right offer but one doesn't come and they are forced to take a below-average offer IE Vanek last year
3. Carolina holds out and a desperate team breaks the bank for him, Kaberle is a solid comparable.

I highly doubt they hold onto him because doing so would make it harder to get McEichel. We'll see how the market turns out, but I'm willing to bet whoever gets him gives up a 1st +

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I'm pretty sure Carolina would want picks and young players if they move Tlusty and Sekera.

No way Talbot is worth Pateryn and two picks, the guy is a 4th liner on pace for around 20 points.

Well, I'm not saying I would want Talbot, but Habs don't have such point producer on the fourth line.

Analyzer*

Am I the only one who's very very very surprised to see that MPS has clearded waivers today?

Probably.

Guy isn't that good. I wouldn't mind the habs had gotten him to play him on the bottom line. See how he does, if he sucks waive him again.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I watch a lot more than just Montréal. If Sekera is your number 1 you are likely not a great team (unless you have an offense like the Pens and such). He is a solid d man but he is far from a real number 1 and i would certainly not pay the price of a number 1 for him just because he is playing this role in a losing team.

This :handclap:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Emelin + DD for Sekera and Tlusty? god, that's awful for Carolina. Emelin is a 4 at best, and DD is irrelevant to just about any team in the league. Sekera is a #1 defensemen, and even as a rental would be treated as such. He'd require at minimum realistic a 1st + Beaulieu + probably one of MacCarron/Hudon/Scherbak/Andrighetto. Tlusty isn't just a throw in, he could go for a 2nd + prospect at the deadline. I'm all for sekera but at least propose realistic value.

Sweet, merciful crap please stop listening to the trade forum homers. That is an overpayment and a half.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
What the team needs is a legitimate scoring winger, someone to take the burden off of Pacioretty. As well, a top 4-D would be nice. I am not comfortable with the scoring prowess of our team to make it all the way to the Cup final and win. BTW, Mcdonough would have looked nice on a pairing with Beaulieu :).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
What the team needs is a legitimate scoring winger, someone to take the burden off of Pacioretty. As well, a top 4-D would be nice. I am not comfortable with the scoring prowess of our team to make it all the way to the Cup final and win. BTW, Mcdonough would have looked nice on a pairing with Beaulieu :).

Would you trade Galchenyuk for McDonagh?

If not then why bring him up? If not for the Gomez trade there is no way the Habs pick top 3 in 2012.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
For before the deadline I would like to see the Habs work Tinordi into some games.
This way he'd be good to go when needed

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
For before the deadline I would like to see the Habs work Tinordi into some games.
This way he'd be good to go when needed

They should and (I still believe) will do exactly that. Our D is currently teetering on the edge of being too-erratic and too-old. We're one injury or one tired veteran away from seeing Tinordi. Let's hope once he returns he takes enough of a leap to earn a permanent 7th spot and work up from there, as Beaulieu is doing.

And naturally I expect Bergevin's annual Trade-Deadline-Magic-Act to bring us a forward for the playoffs. Possibly Jagr, though Bergevin has consciously avoided him the past two years. It'd be cool, though...

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Would you trade Galchenyuk for McDonagh?

If not then why bring him up? If not for the Gomez trade there is no way the Habs pick top 3 in 2012.

More like Galchenyuk for Mcdonagh and Teravainen. I would do it
Its more difficult to find a top 2 defenseman than a top center.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Kaberle?

Colbourne not as good of a prospect as Beaulieu... But I'd also argue Kaberle was not as good of a D-man as Sekera right now either (especially defensively).

I can definitely see a team offering a first and a prospect for Sekera. Easily. Honestly I would do it too depending on who the prospect is as well, Sekera is exactly what this defense corps needs and I'm quite confident we could re-sign him.

Kaberle deal was 5 years ago and the 1st round pick only turned into a 1st when the Bruins made the Stanley Cup final, otherwise it would have been a 2nd.

Teams don't throw 1st round picks around anymore like they used to in the good ol' Craig-Rivet-for-Gorges-and-Pacioretty days. A 2nd plus a decent prospect probably lands Sekera at the deadline, if Carolina doesn't re-sign him.

Vanek was the prize of last year's deadline and the Islanders got a 2nd plus a prospect currently in the ECHL. I don't know why anyone thinks Sekera would pull in a much healthier return than that.

And some of the top teams in the league (Chicago, LA, etc) would have a hard time fitting him under the cap. Monteral would not.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Newsflash, HABS aren't winning the Cup this year, no sense trading away your picks and prospects. I know we have Price but it won't be enough....Plekanec-Desharnais-Parenteau doesn't really scream championship team second line force and that 4th line of Weise-Andrighetto-Bournival is very poor at best.....we really need another big RHD to play that 3-4 spot with Beaulieu, size up that 4th line and re-tool the second line. When we win that Cup, Scherbak, McCarron and De la Rose will be part of this team, not neccassarily the center pieces but they will be there

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Newsflash, HABS aren't winning the Cup this year, no sense trading away your picks and prospects. I know we have Price but it won't be enough....Plekanec-Desharnais-Parenteau doesn't really scream championship team second line force and that 4th line of Weise-Andrighetto-Bournival is very poor at best.....we really need another big RHD to play that 3-4 spot with Beaulieu, size up that 4th line and re-tool the second line. When we win that Cup, Scherbak, McCarron and De la Rose will be part of this team, not neccassarily the center pieces but they will be there

I think the habs are a top 6 gritty winger and top 4 d man away from a contender. Adding a guy like Sekera and considering the other Eastern teams we could really make it far this season.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think the habs are a top 6 gritty winger and top 4 d man away from a contender. Adding a guy like Sekera and considering the other Eastern teams we could really make it far this season.

Top 4Dman aren't growing on trees and I don't think Sekera is the answer to winning a cup. Your assessment of what we need I agree with (except Sekera), I would even add a young big gritty bottom 6 fwd for the 4th line, but the price is gonna be high, too high I think, but we are talking about Bergevin here, he is pretty sly...:naughty:

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
I hope the Habs retain their prospects because in a couple years most of them will be full time NHLer's. The most pressing need for MTL should be another top four d-man. With Galchenyuk looking good and Eller back from injury I'd rather MB make a move that settles the center situation.

To ARI
DD

To MTL
Z.Michalek

Value wise would this trade make sense for both teams?

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
I would waive Allen..
Bring up Tinordi and get him ready for playoff hockey.
Weaver,Gilbert and Emelin rotate in and out of line up.

Make a trade with Columbus involving DD and Hartnell...
Playoff line up...Markov Subban gonchar beaulieu Tinordi weaver...
Chuckie patches gally
Eller sekac ghetto
Pleks Prust hartnell
MM Weise bournival extra forward pap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad