Contender or Pretender? Deadline Wishlist

Analyzer*

I used to like Yandle a lot, but honnestly, he's been horrible defensively the last 2-3 years, even when Arizona was a .500+ team playing a good defensive game.

I would prefer to give more prospects to get someone like Faulk and sign him long term. That would make Habs a contender and set on D for years.

He's already signed long-term.

5 more years at 4.83

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
David Perron if he's available for a good/decent price. Adds some grit and potential scoring.

Physical top 6 defenseman with size.

Wouldn't mind Perron, but we have to give something from our lineup in return. DD might be a good fit in Edmonton. Guy has a good attitude and some experience. Oilers are going nowhere for a while and DD could be a nice transition between now and the future for them, a team with a bunch of young talents. Would get some good minutes and could put up some 50 point seasons playing with good players.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
We need a top 6 winger and a #3 dman. If I had to pick one, it would be an upgrade on D, someone to play behind Markov and Subban. The winger would be great but come playoff time I think that some of the guys who have been sleeping on offence (i.e. DD, Parenteau, Plecky) will wakeup. We got burned by the Rangers last year because guys like Emelin and Murray were getting caught. If Beaulieu keeps on with his strong play and we add another good defence man, I think we can make it far.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Also for those of you that don't watch hockey outside of the Habs, Sekera was 15th in points among defensemen last season, playing only 74 games, and played nearly 24 minutes a game. He was a +4 on a terrible Carolina team, plays 1st wave PK and PP. He's better than Markov, and leaps and bounds better than Emelin. He's not producing as well this year, but Carolina is even worse. He's still around the top-40 in points, and still plays big minutes in every situation. Stop being homers

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Need a winger in the top 9 who is an upgrade over Prust. I like Prust, he is reasonably effective but his offensive instincts just don't match his linemates and he holds them back a bit. If we get another guy, and Prust goes down to 4th line/PKer that is much better. The 4th line is struggling, they need a guy like Prust who is better defensively and can cycle better so MT can play them in tougher situations. MB has gotten enough salary off the books for next year that the acquisition doesn't have to just be a rental trade, he can have a multi-year contract and it's fine.

They should also get another 4th liner, a veteran as a 13th forward. I don't think Bournival is ready yet. A defensive, tough, playoff vet like Moen, but not Moen unfortunately since he has that extra contract year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Also for those of you that don't watch hockey outside of the Habs, Sekera was 15th in points among defensemen last season, playing only 74 games, and played nearly 24 minutes a game. He was a +4 on a terrible Carolina team, plays 1st wave PK and PP. He's better than Markov, and leaps and bounds better than Emelin. He's not producing as well this year, but Carolina is even worse. He's still around the top-40 in points, and still plays big minutes in every situation. Stop being homers

I watch a lot more than just Montréal. If Sekera is your number 1 you are likely not a great team (unless you have an offense like the Pens and such). He is a solid d man but he is far from a real number 1 and i would certainly not pay the price of a number 1 for him just because he is playing this role in a losing team.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Andrew Ladd and Andrej Sekera for picks/prospects/disposable players:sarcasm:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Ladd - Plekanec - Parenteau
Sekac - Eller - Prust
Bournival - Malholtra - Weise
Tangradi <press box extra/don't insert in lineup>

Sekera - Subban
Tinordi - Gonchar
Markov - Emelin
Gillbert
Weaver

Price

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I watch a lot more than just Montréal. If Sekera is your number 1 you are likely not a great team (unless you have an offense like the Pens and such). He is a solid d man but he is far from a real number 1 and i would certainly not pay the price of a number 1 for him just because he is playing this role in a losing team.

Exactly. Sekera is an extremely poor mans #1, more of a #2 and on plenty of teams would even be a #3. He's probably a #3 on a stacked team, if he's your #1 you're where Carolina is now LOL.

I'd still like to get him, but the price has to be right. Paying 3 pieces (pick, prospect, roster player) would be a nightmare unless they were a B or C level pick/prospect/player. You won't get Sekera for that. I believe it's a case where another team can and will offer more for him. A team out west maybe.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

He's a low-end #1 or an elite #2, and to think that he AND Tlusty could be had for Emelin and DD is vacuous.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Emelin + DD for Sekera and Tlusty? god, that's awful for Carolina. Emelin is a 4 at best, and DD is irrelevant to just about any team in the league. Sekera is a #1 defensemen, and even as a rental would be treated as such. He'd require at minimum realistic a 1st + Beaulieu + probably one of MacCarron/Hudon/Scherbak/Andrighetto. Tlusty isn't just a throw in, he could go for a 2nd + prospect at the deadline. I'm all for sekera but at least propose realistic value.

:biglaugh:

Are you for real? Take that to the main boards, and you'd find every single Canes fan jumping on that faster than you can imagine. That's a stupidly huge overpayment, even if he had an extension.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I used to like Yandle a lot, but honnestly, he's been horrible defensively the last 2-3 years, even when Arizona was a .500+ team playing a good defensive game.

I would prefer to give more prospects to get someone like Faulk and sign him long term. That would make Habs a contender and set on D for years.

Have you watched Yandle the past 2-3 years? He's been by far the Yotes' best d-man this season. He's not a weak defensive player, despite the myths that you (and some others) like to propagate. But the point is moot, since they have no interest in moving him.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
:biglaugh:

Are you for real? Take that to the main boards, and you'd find every single Canes fan jumping on that faster than you can imagine. That's a stupidly huge overpayment, even if he had an extension.

1st + Beaulieu is probably fair value for him, but there's going to be a multitude of teams vying for him at the deadline, we'll see what happens, I think a lot of you are going to be shocked at what he goes for.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
1st + Beaulieu is probably fair value for him, but there's going to be a multitude of teams vying for him at the deadline, we'll see what happens, I think a lot of you are going to be shocked at what he goes for.

I think you'll be surprised. Find me one comparable that went for such a return in the last 5 years.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I think you'll be surprised. Find me one comparable that went for such a return in the last 5 years.

Yeah, judging the trade market from the last 2 years, I'd say Sakara is likely more worth a 2nd rounder + a B-level prospect or a 1rst + C-level prospects at most and i might be reaching. It'd probably be less realisticly

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Kaberle?

Colbourne not as good of a prospect as Beaulieu... But I'd also argue Kaberle was not as good of a D-man as Sekera right now either (especially defensively).

I can definitely see a team offering a first and a prospect for Sekera. Easily. Honestly I would do it too depending on who the prospect is as well, Sekera is exactly what this defense corps needs and I'm quite confident we could re-sign him.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Kaberle?

Colbourne not as good of a prospect as Beaulieu... But I'd also argue Kaberle was not as good of a D-man as Sekera right now either (especially defensively).

I can definitely see a team offering a first and a prospect for Sekera. Easily. Honestly I would do it too depending on who the prospect is as well, Sekera is exactly what this defense corps needs and I'm quite confident we could re-sign him.

I don't think going as far as 5 years is a good indication of the current market. I think the Bouwmeester (for a conditional 1rst rounder + 2 mediocre prospects) or the vanek (for a 2nd rounder + a sorta good prospect) deal are probably more realistic templates for the current trade value for a guy like Sekera. At least, until a GM idiotically overpays again.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Garrioch reported that the asking price from Ottawa was a 1st and a top prospect, he's not going to come cheap, if you want him you better commit to losing your 1st. Just look back on those Markov threads from last season, that's a comparable value

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't think going as far as 5 years is a good indication of the current market. I think the Bouwmeester (for a conditional 1rst rounder + 2 mediocre prospects) or the vanek (for a 2nd rounder + a sorta good prospect) deal are probably more realistic templates for the current trade value for a guy like Sekera. At least, until a GM idiotically overpays again.

It's entirely possible seeing as how Sekera seems to be highly underrated around these parts, but I'm hedging my bet that the final price on Sekera will be a first and a mid-level prospect.

It's a price id be willing to pay like I said earlier, not with Beaulieu attached however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad