Cont'd - NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Maybe it's too early to know, but will they be airing any games on the regular CTV channel outside of Sportsnet? It also sounds like CBC is still doing Saturday games. How exactly will that work?

TSN and CTV are both owned by Bell

They will air games on City which is owned by Rogers

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
So basically CBC will just be carrying the Sportsnet feed on Saturdays with no money changing hands?

No more playoffs on CBC anymore? Or will Sportsnet provide a feed for that too?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If anyone thinks Rogers prices are going to remain the same; I have a bridge to sell you.

Rogers didn't do this massive deal to be patriotic Canadians. They did it to increase their own profits through a number of ways, including raising rates one way or another for hockey.

Yup. I have my price limits. If hockey becomes too expensive, I guess I'll take up lacrosse or something

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
It will come eventually, they talked about something like that in the press conference. Nadir Mohamed referred to it as "Pay for Play" My idea of it is this:

As part of your sports package from Rogers you pay a price for 5 options of specific sports or teams you want to watch. But you also have the option of buying more options at an extra cost ( i.e each extra option costs an additional 10 dollars a month). You get to choose NHL-Bruins, or NHL-Leafs, those channels are all Bruins coverage, games, content, interviews, same thing with the Leafs or any other team you pick. It's the future of television. It's the pure definition of consumer choice.

That literally makes me sick to my stomach. :shakehead

I already hate the idea of trying to watch the NHL.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Couple of quick questions

1) Will TSN still broadcast the draft, trade deadline, and free agency?

2) What is the NFL's TV deal compared to this new NHL deal?

This deal includes the draft and all star game for Sportsnet. I imagine there is nothing stopping anyone from doing a free agency day show.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

1) Draft is a rights thing that is included in the package so no. The deadline and free agency is just coverage and not rights related so the safe assumption would be that yes they will.

FakeKidPoker*

So basically CBC will just be carrying the Sportsnet feed on Saturdays with no money changing hands?

CBC will be showing playoffs next year and the Stanley Cup Final for the next 4 years.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I assume you're more than just a Leaf fan..you're also a hockey fan? Correct? Don't think of it as "My team won't be any more available to me than before" think of it as "I get to enjoy and watch more games of the game I love" This isn't about one team, this is about more coverage of all teams in Canada specifically together as a group. Instead of a possible Sens-Wings game being regionalized on CBC for (Ontario East-Quebec) we'll be able to see it now nationally on City, CBC, SN1, Sportsnet 360. It's awesome. I guess I appreciate what it brings to me as a Leaf fan but also a hockey fan more than it does to you being solely a Leaf fan.

I have not had an issue watching any game in over 7 years.

Regional CBC games have never stopped me from seeing who I want on saturdays because cbc webcast every game.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Does anyone know the details of the invasion fees Darren Dregger tweeted about? Said the revenue is split 30 ways but there are invasion fees paid to teh CDN teams off the top.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

1) I'm sure they will do a trade deadline show and free agency as those they can do without NHL rights. Pretty sure the draft will fall under the new Rogers deal, it's a live televised event (similar to a game).

Brandel*

Draft will be on sportsnet

Trade deadline/FA should still be on TSN as well as sportsnet, similar to previous years.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If anyone thinks Rogers prices are going to remain the same; I have a bridge to sell you.

Rogers didn't do this massive deal to be patriotic Canadians. They did it to increase their own profits through a number of ways, including raising rates one way or another for hockey.

You're right, "Pay for Play"

You want Leafs coverage well Rogers provides NHL-Leafs in your sports package. You get 5 of these options with your package of 39.95 a month for an additional 10 dollars a month you can order 2 more options if you wish. With these new consumer friendly specific channels of your favourite teams, you can watch exclusive games every night, interviews and content.

How did I do?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The NHL needs to grow the game outside canada, mainly in the US. The game will do fine in Canada, doesnt matter who shows it.

Does this deal affect NBC in any way?

Its going to be more expensive for an inferior broadcast this doesn't bother you?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Seph, no on the draft. That will be a Sportsnet show. No one knows about the other FA or the TD show on TSN.

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver 59s
TVA president Pierre Dion confirms group will launch TVA Sports 2.

Hilarious.

TVA Sports 2? Well to me that shows PKP is still interested in the NHL in QC and will now have the additional capacity when the time comes.

Wetcoaster

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
For those asking, new TV Deal is above and beyond the existing Sportsnet deals with Ott,Tor,Edm,Cgy,Van. 3 nights of national games.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Sportsnet feed implies it will be simulacast on sportsnet. The games airing Saturdays on CBC will only be on CBC but will be editiorialized by Rogers

The finals will be on CBC again editiorialized by Rogers. Rogers gets the ad revenue from the CBC broadcasts so ignoring subscription rates it would be in their best interest to show marquee matchups on CBC which has the highest potential viewership.

Penalty Kill Icing*

LMAO.. post #4 is blaming Leafs ownership for ruining hockey in Canada because Leafs are part owned by Rogers.

Does that genius know that Bell too has an equal share in ownership? :laugh:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Its going to be more expensive for an inferior broadcast this doesn't bother you?

Bell would've done the same thing if they outbid Rogers for this. When the price of acquiring the rights go up, so will the price for the consumers will go up as well, doesn't matter what company it is. This is just the reality of business.

Also I bet you will see Rogers upgrade their production value.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
:shakehead

And how much extra is TVA Sports 2?

Seriously want to just barf over this crap.

They are maximizing the baloney slicing here..but at the same time the Canadian consumer is rushing to the exits from cable bundle land. Expect a spike in hockeystreams and gamecenter + VPN subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad