Cont'd - NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Bettman would've been smart to have moved Phoenix to Quebec last season knowing that a new TV deal was coming up, would've brought in a tonne more money especially from the French bidders.

Also, I'm very confused in the CBC's role in this and how exactly they're gonna make $ or what will happen to their staff as well as why the NHL opted to go exclusive rather than what they have now which is better (coverage on three major networks).

From what I understand, CBC will now utilize the NHL solely to advertise its own original programming. The NHL is its most popular product and in this sense it will keep people watching the broadcaster.

The director (Hebert) admitted the situation isn't ideal, but I'm just happy that HNIC in some form will continue to exist. :)

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Other than continuing the tradition of HNIC.. I'll say I honestly don't understand why CBC entered into this deal.

If they don't get the revenue from their air time, what is the point?

They are basically acting as an extension of Rogers any time they are broadcasting an NHL game but at their own expense..

I'm surprised by this deal and am thinking about all the implications

But now at least, we can turn the hoary CBC argument on its head, and say that the network is wasting taxpayer-owned assets by lending its IP to Rogers, free of charge.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The negativity from Canadians on this definitely amuses me. More options, more games available, HNIC not killed off, but "Rogers has a high school broadcast, this is crap!"

Most of the games were already available though.

What we have added in the Sportsnet 'sample' was just a couple of games involving American teams.

CBC already shows 2 or 3 games at 7est on Saturday so saying those games are on different channels is kind of irrelevant because you can still only watch 1 game.

I hope Rogers streams National games as that would be a huge upgrade from TSN.

I agree that already evaluating the broadcast based on regional samples is a mistake. Rogers is about to go on a hiring spree I would say.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
NHL GCL becomes pretty obsolete now, doesn't it?

I love GCL because I love Hockey, but it does seem like with the recent deals, they are making GCL obsolete. I still wish and hope for one day they would look at the GCL rules and relax them a bit, but until then, if you were only a casual fan, I'm not sure if buying GCL, especially now, is a good idea.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This deal could be negative for the CFL. I believe recently the CRTC approved
of the removal of theme packs, with out hockey, people may not choose to
keep TSN. Less subscribers, less viewers for the CFL.

On the other hand, a gain for Rogers. If you want all the hockey, you will have
to subscribe to all the channels.

Canadians will be paying EXTRA to see hockey :shakehead

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The negativity from Canadians on this definitely amuses me. More options, more games available, HNIC not killed off, but "Rogers has a high school broadcast, this is crap!"

Except it's true. TSN has all the top talent (the A team vs the C or D team) when compared to Rogers Sportsnet. TSN has also treated the NHL as a king with all the coverage they gave them (draft, trades, games, trade deadline, etc). So in terms of what we will now watch, it's a downgrade.

However, this is a great deal for Rogers. By doing this, they'll steal viewers from TSN. Hopefully some of the better talent follows them. But until that happens, while we Canadians will get more coverage, we'll do so with crappier on air talent.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This deal could be negative for the CFL. I believe recently the CRTC approved
of the removal of theme packs, with out hockey, people may not choose to
keep TSN. Less subscribers, less viewers for the CFL.

On the other hand, a gain for Rogers. If you want all the hockey, you will have
to subscribe to all the channels.

So not only is the quality of broadcast going to go down but the price will continue to climb?

Great, great deal for growing the game, I cant see how this benefits anyone but the owners and the players. The fans lose again, I'll be cancelling my TSN HD subscription for sure. I will only pay for basic HD channels then as long as I get sens games then I will buy game center. Rogers will probably end up losing money here and frankly I am not upset about it one bit. They overcharge for everything and have terrible and I mean TERRIBLE quality, speed involving anything digital. I cant watch anything between 2 and and 5 am because they servers update and freeze.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
Except it's true. TSN has all the top talent (the A team vs the C or D team) when compared to Rogers Sportsnet. TSN has also treated the NHL as a king with all the coverage they gave them (draft, trades, games, trade deadline, etc). So in terms of what we will now watch, it's a downgrade.

However, this is a great deal for Rogers. By doing this, they'll steal viewers from TSN. Hopefully some of the better talent follows them. But until that happens, while we Canadians will get more coverage, we'll do so with crappier on air talent.

It's true? 40 million a season versus 433 million a season? The NHL had to move on from TSN for that kind of money.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not at all.

Regional action still exists 4 days per week.

That's right, but all in all we are getting more games than what TSN was offering. It's honestly a great day as a fan. People can hate Rogers all they want but this is a great deal for us. We not get Wednesday's and Saturdays for national broadcasts but now Sunday's it's going to be awesome. :yo:

CK17

May 13, 2007
So is Rogers picking up the NBCSN simulcasts on Mondays/Tuesdays?

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
If this was indeed the offer, the NHL did the right thing.

That is a lowball number from TSN.

That wasn't the number from TSN. That was the number of the last deal. TSN's offer hasn't been released yet but it'll be a lot lower than 433 million a season.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Where did you hear this KevyD? If true good for the nhl.

It was mentioned during the press conference. 40 million dollars from TSN this season, and starting next season Rogers blows them out of the water and spends 10 times that lol. But in all fairness they get ALL rights on all platforms, TSN was sharing theirs with others with their deal. The uniqueness of this deal is that one single company is owning all rights from all platforms, it's amazing.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
I will say this again though.

If TSN loves hockey so much they could still cover hockey. THE NHL IS NOT HOCKEY! KHL, AHL, CHL, most IIHF tournaments, aswell as a plenty of other leagues have no coverage in North America.

Make it happen TSN.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
That's right, but all in all we are getting more games than what TSN was offering. It's honestly a great day as a fan. People can hate Rogers all they want but this is a great deal for us. We not get Wednesday's and Saturdays for national broadcasts but now Sunday's it's going to be awesome. :yo:

We get 1 more national day per week in exchange for 1 network running the show.

For a fan I don't see it as any improvement because my team(TML) is not going to be any more available to me under this deal then they were under the old one more then likely.

Personally I will say that the NHL can go after Sundays all they like but even in Canada now the NFL dominates peoples attention so for half the season your numbers on Sunday will likely be low unless you go with all Canadian games to attract multiple fan bases. Friday would have made a lot more sense in my opinion.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
If this was indeed the offer, the NHL did the right thing.

That is a lowball number from TSN.
That was the existing contract, not what Bell offered:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nhl131126.html
According to a source close to the negotiations, TFP has learned that Bell has initially proposed a deal to the NHL eerily similar to the one the League signed with Rogers, only to shockingly find out on Monday night that the NHL had in fact reached an agreement with Rogers, worth slightly more than Bell had offered.
"Slightly more" =/= "ten times more". Maybe Bell offered $3-4B over the life of the deal, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad