OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Cowboy Bebop

I’ve never watched any of the anime… anyone who has seen the show and the trailer Netflix released a few hours ago…. Does it seem true to the original? Seems very strange to an outsider like myself.

I think the original was a little bit more jazzy, silly, and clean-cut than the live-action trailer portrays it. That said, most anime adaptations suck and this looks fine so I'm okay with it, so far.

The fact that they announced Dune Part 2 so soon shows that Warner Bros. was hellbent on making this a thing whether we want it or not.

I, for sure, want it. I loved the book a lot. In an era where literally every other movie is Marvel or DC, I'm glad they're doing an sci-fi epic series.

Reactions: Saugus

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Nintendo has been a shit ass backwards company for a while now. But are allowed to get away with it constantly cause its Nintendo. It just shows how incompetent they continue to be.
The way I see it, this month perfectly encapsulates how good and bad Nintendo can be at the same time. Sora in Smash Bros. was literally what the fans wanted and given how Disney is, I'm sure it was no small feat to get him in there. Metroid Dread is also very good and it ensures we'll see more time, effort, and care put into the franchise.

It's when it comes to (legal) access to their older stuff and online capabilities that you wonder what the hell they're thinking.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Apparently a sticking point in the negotiations for Part 2 was that Warners demanded the next one be released exclusively in theaters with no streaming at all.

Well that sucks. I kind of liked that a lot of movies this year were released simultaneously on streaming. But maybe that's because I'm cheap and lazy and don't want to pay extra or go anywhere.

I, for sure, want it. I loved the book a lot. In an era where literally every other movie is Marvel or DC, I'm glad they're doing an sci-fi epic series.

Agreed. I think we have reached full saturation on the number of comic book movies. I can't believe how many there are. I've lost all interest in them unless it's an actually good movie standing alone outside that chapter of the MCU.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Agreed. I think we have reached full saturation on the number of comic book movies. I can't believe how many there are. I've lost all interest in them unless it's an actually good movie standing alone outside that chapter of the MCU.
I watched all of the MCU movies up to Endgame on Disney+ with my wife a while back. Some are good, some are OK, some suck. But Marvel shot its wad and I think a lot of people have moved on. There will be enough loyal fans to ensure they'll still be made (and enough toxic fans online to try and enforce people getting hyped for them), but where do you go from there?

I also think that the MCU set a bad guideline for how movies are made now- if it's not a nine-digit budget mega-blockbuster, then it's not worth the effort. With the magnetic pull of memorable IPs, that's not the risk it once was. Disney and Warner Bros. are the two big dogs and Netflix is trying its hand as well (apparently they bought the rights to the Roald Dahl estate. You read that right).

At least there's TV!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I watched all of the MCU movies up to Endgame on Disney+ with my wife a while back. Some are good, some are OK, some suck. But Marvel shot its wad and I think a lot of people have moved on. There will be enough loyal fans to ensure they'll still be made (and enough toxic fans online to try and enforce people getting hyped for them), but where do you go from there?

I also think that the MCU set a bad guideline for how movies are made now- if it's not a nine-digit budget mega-blockbuster, then it's not worth the effort. With the magnetic pull of memorable IPs, that's not the risk it once was. Disney and Warner Bros. are the two big dogs and Netflix is trying its hand as well (apparently they bought the rights to the Roald Dahl estate. You read that right).

At least there's TV!

The criticism that only big movies are worthwhile for studios has been around for a long time. I recall reading something similar about the original Star Wars trilogy.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

At least there's TV!

I just want to see the X-Men done properly for once. Not Wolverine and friends or Mystique (for some reason), Charles, Erik, and friends like the Fox movies were. There's so many ways to branch off of the mainline X-Men as well

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I watched Dune last weekend and immediately fell in love with it. Outside of school I've never fully read a book. I hopped right into Dune though and I'm a little bit past 2/3rds

My3Sons

Sponsor
I just want to see the X-Men done properly for once. Not Wolverine and friends or Mystique (for some reason), Charles, Erik, and friends like the Fox movies were. There's so many ways to branch off of the mainline X-Men as well

I have a friend that loves all the comic book movies. DC, X-Men, Marvel, and lesser ones as well. I'll see the Marvel movies and the DC movies that get decent reviews with him. He'll fill me in on backstory and context. I haven't read a comic book since 1980 and I know this because I still have a stack that my mom did not throw out that somehow survived to make it back to me. Anyway, I've decided that you only get so many movies. Even Marvel, as successful as they are only gets so much story to tell in so many movies. Thus, you will only get the main characters with the odd exception or two. It's only because Deadpool had such a great script and a star born to play the role that it worked. Look what happened when they tried that X-Men spinoff New Mutants. The studios want to capture the casual moviegoer and that is hard with off the beaten path characters. Recall that Marvel was reported to be taking a risk with the Guardians movie originally. Studios will be reluctant to branch off the main characters since they are risk averse, which I get. The average moviegoer will see a Spiderman movie. It gets harder the less familiar the hero might be.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I thought the X-Men prequel movies with James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were done pretty well. But I can see an argument that there was too much emphasis on them at the expense of other characters and storylines.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I thought the X-Men prequel movies with James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were done pretty well. But I can see an argument that there was too much emphasis on them at the expense of other characters and storylines.

I thought X-Men, X2, First Class, and Days of Future Past were all done pretty well as movies. I just don't think they were good "X-Men" movies.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
My oldest had two costume parties this weekend. First one he went as Jackie Daytona from What We Do In The Shadows. Tonight he’s one of the SNL super fans. Both good efforts on the outfits.
I saw a Facebook update from someone who was Nandor and whose wife was Nadja. I’m in the process of watching season 3 with my wife but we haven’t made it far into it. But I’m looking forward to starting again.
This is on my list, after we finish You're the Worst.
I gotta watch You’re the Worst again.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
We started watching What We Do in the Shadows last night because it was Halloween. Just a few episodes in but we think it's funny.

If you haven't watched the original movie, stop the show now and watch the movie. Then go back to the show. It will help with context and some of the characters as well. There is a whole What We Do In the Shadows Film/TV universe. Lots of fun and the humor ranges all over the place so there are a few laughs for everyone and the whole thing is well designed. It looks great and sounds great and you can tell they are putting care and effort into it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What We Do in Shadows the show is fun but I definitely recommend the movie first.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
One of the greatest shows in the history of television, Yellowstone, premiers its fourth season tonight. It's fantastic. Cannot recommend enough, the first two episodes are tonight.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Watched Dune again tonight. Drunk this time. Still excellent.

It’s got me hooked. Loved the movie and immediately hopped into the books. Already onto the 3rd book and I watched the Lynch version yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad