OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I'm more a horror guy than Sci-Fi guy. Sci-Fi is notoriously tricky to get right. When it's done right it can be great. Sometimes it's held down by the weight of its implications for humanity. Something like Prometheus for example, had great promise and I liked it but it the whole "we were just dumped here by aliens as an experiment that they were going to terminate if their WMD didn't backfire on them" concept added some complexity and slowed it down more than it needed.

God the Prometheus movies are so bad. If any of them just had a semblance of a brain, nothing would have happened. I raged so much at those movies.

I could still appreciate some things about the movies though.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Same here. Also, my wife didn't like it and wanted to start a different series and I haven't found the time to get back to it on my own yet. Probably will eventually.

Prepare for your kid friendly movie times and then rushing to try to watch R rated or not kid friendly movies. We are so behind on the shows and movies our kids can’t see.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
God the Prometheus movies are so bad. If any of them just had a semblance of a brain, nothing would have happened. I raged so much at those movies.

I could still appreciate some things about the movies though.

I like the alien movies. Prometheus could have jump started the franchise again but Scott wanted to make such an un-alien movie that the studio apparently intervened and I imagine that was not helpful. That said, I did read that alternate script that was posted at one point. It wasn't that different in my view. The biggest letdown for me was that Prometheus dissuaded Guillermo Del Toro from filming At the Mountains of Madness which I think would have been great. At their root they both tell an "aliens put humans on the planet" story which took all the wind out of Del Toro's sails.

Reactions: Guadana

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Lord of the Rings was well adapted. Cut out a lot of the slow stuff for the theatrical releases, but filmed everything for the hardcore nerds in the extended editions.

His Dark Materials is another sci-fi/fantasy franchise that has had some adaptation trouble. The Golden Compass movie was pretty faithful to the story and well-acted, but was a box office flop and will never get the planned sequels.

They have a series on HBO now, and it's been ok but I can't quite get into it. Some of the details seem off, and that really matters for a series like that where setting and atmosphere are so important.

The difficulty of adapting fantasy book series to film/TV is why I'm hesitant on Amazon's Wheel of Time series. That first trailer didn't really impress me, although I think Rosamund Pike as Moiraine is a perfect casting. I just have the feeling it's going to be one of those "good performance by an actor in a terrible movie/series" situations.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
The difficulty of adapting fantasy book series to film/TV is why I'm hesitant on Amazon's Wheel of Time series. That first trailer didn't really impress me, although I think Rosamund Pike as Moiraine is a perfect casting. I just have the feeling it's going to be one of those "good performance by an actor in a terrible movie/series" situations.

Yeahhh.. that trailer looked so bad. Looks like something that would be on the SyFy channel. I dont have high hopes

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Titans

Pretty much the entire 2nd half of the season was a disappointment to me which includes today’s season finale. Just felt like a whole lot of filler and character development and not enough meaningful action.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
No matter how many times I’ve tried to watch Dune 84 I’ve never made to the end. I don’t know what it is, I get bored or have no clue what is going on or I just lose interest. It’s weird cause I normally love weird sci-if shit like that but there’s something about that movie I just don’t get.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
No matter how many times I’ve tried to watch Dune 84 I’ve never made to the end. I don’t know what it is, I get bored or have no clue what is going on or I just lose interest. It’s weird cause I normally love weird sci-if shit like that but there’s something about that movie I just don’t get.

Two reasons: David Lynch, everything he does is weird. Also, the original running time of the movie was something like 3 hours and they made him cut it down. The editing decisions were not the best and it made the movie confusing and disjointed. Although, I'm not sure even the full director's cut would have been much better. It is David Lynch, after all.

Reactions: JK3

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Two reasons: David Lynch, everything he does is weird. Also, the original running time of the movie was something like 3 hours and they made him cut it down. The editing decisions were not the best and it made the movie confusing and disjointed. Although, I'm not sure even the full director's cut would have been much better. It is David Lynch, after all.

#releasethelynchcut

Reactions: RangerDoggo

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Ahhh ok, makes sense now.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i saw mulholland drive not long after it came out…..20 years ago ……now the question is……. do i watch it again and see what i think of it now?

(i was negative on it then)

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Dune is f***ing awesome, if you liked the book you'll love the movie. Obviously not as dep as the book but it hit all of the major notes and the acting/cinematography/visual direction more than makes up for it. The best adaptation of a book I've seen since Fellowship of the Ring.
I heard it only covers 1/2 -2/3 of the book. Is there or should there be another movie?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I never read the book but it was very popular back in the day. I’m almost done watching the movie now and I have to say, it’s a fantastic sci fi movie. Great cast and high quality visuals. I was worried when I heard this movie essentially lays the groundwork’s for the next installment but I have been rather pleased with it overall.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Watched Dune tonight, and I agree that it is excellent. Very faithful to the book, and many things are the way I imagined them when I first read it.

My only small criticism is that they glossed over important points of backstory for several characters. I think they could have spared the running time to do so by cutting a little from the overly-long desert scenes, but that's ok.

My wife said she liked it too, but honestly I think she liked watching me nerd out about it even more than the movie itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad