Considering the cap, what exactly in your opinion is the Jets "cup window"?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i don't believe in cup windows. Jets should be contenders for years and years with just the occasional tweak needed.
It’s also based on playoff performance. If they get bounced in round 1 in 2/3 years they may make more than tweaks.

Immediate issue for the jets is trouba and whether he targets ufa in 2020. If that is the case they need to move him in the summer and extend Myers.

The base aside from wheeler and buff is young enough.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
As for the OP, we will have a few issues and a few questions but it's nothing that letting Myers walk and trading Perreault can't fix.

The good part about our drafting is that we have the depth to let certain "high price" players walk.

Laine @ 9
Connor @ 7.5
Trouba - Trade or @ 7.5
Morrissey @ 6 to 7.5

Those are the key pieces. Biggest one after that is Lowry.

Tanev
Petan
Myers
and Brossoit can be replaced.

Do love me some Tanev though. I think we will be able to give him similar money with additional years.

I don't see Laine taking 9 IMO. I think he can get more.

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
I think that is a very valid question, and definitely an interesting one.

What I think is important to realize, is that last year was really something special for the jets. It was a convergence of a lot of good things that resulted in a fantastic year. They were absolutely a force to be reckoned with and were playing at a level where they could have won a cup and deserved it. That was incredibly fun to watch. It was also a rare occasion, and jets fans should NOT get used to seeing such a complete team, no fanbase really will get to be so lucky.

Because yes, the cap will take some from them, and it already has. They will have to change, and very likely will not reach the peak they already hit. That is what happens to teams when they amass a great deal of talent in this league.

That being said, it doesn't mean they will be crippled. They will still be a great team, they just won't have an embarrassment of riches to lean on by this year or next. Plus, while other teams will walk into this embarrassment of riches scenario here and there, they will be cycled out quickly as well, just the same as the jets have.

So my take is that you are right, the jets will not be absolute cup favourites for much longer than a year from now (if they even are now), but if you lower your expectations just a bit, they do look to have a great window built for the foreseeable future. Besides, no team will be holding that position for longer than a year or two.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I honestly dont think the cap has closed any windows. Its generally been the decline of key talents. If seabrook and hossa were still any good, the hawks would still be a contender.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The main problem with the cap to me is teams giving way too much money for ''middle'' players who are usually on the wrong side of 30 and have very little upside left to their game. I understand it's valuable for teams to have veterans mixed in on their bottom-6 or 3rd pairing but I believe signing elite players to huge deals and having younger players fill out your roster (or cheap hungry vets on short term deals) is a much better approach.

Not signing average guys to big contracts also shelters your team from having to buy out or bury huge contracts that hinder your ability to sign key players. For exemple the following salary scheme:

ELC - 10M - 10M
6M - 6M - 5M
2.5M - 2.5M - 2M
900k - 900k - 900k

8M - 5M
4M - ELC
1M - 1M

7M - 1M

It amounts to $76M which should leave extra space for extra players and callups (with a 80M cap). As you can see there are clearly a lot of elite players in there, without necessarily overpaying for 3rd liners. There is also only two key players on ELC and sometimes teams have more, which saves them even more cap space (see the Winnipeg Jets)

If you let average 3rd liners go instead of re-signing them to big, long-term deal, and replace them with younger/cheaper guy, you will always be able to afford elite players in key roles worth a lot of money, and should have no problem keeping under the cap and managing your salaries well.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
The cup window depends on how well the management handles their business.

If they lose key-pieces while over-paying guys who turn out to be worth less than they're paid, then their run will end pretty quick. But if they make smart deals, and keep the right guys, then they should be a force to be reckoned with, for quite a while.

You've got all the talent in your hands, now you just need to be able to manage it.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I dont think the cap is what's going to cause the jets issues. I think the decline of wheeler and buff will. Both very key players who are well up there in age.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
They are set for a while. One thing though, if this is the Ehlers they will be getting now that he has his money, damn. He is quite non-existent, and has been for a while.

Ehlers is still on the upswing. Elite at zone entries.
He drew 3 penalties today.
For a team that is pretty deadly on the PP that is a very valuable player.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
The Jets have had one good year. I think it's a stretch to say they are in a "cup window" let alone suggest it may be closing. They have good pieces, the core looks good. Teams adjust around the cap all the time, they will be fine for years.

Reactions: Heldig

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
We’ve debated it heavily on the Jets forum already. I don’t see why this needs to be a main board thread, but I digress.

Worst case, the Jets can flip Perreault and Kulikov for nothing if they need to and clear another $8.5M. Vesalainen and Niku are two guys in the system that can replace those roles and production on ELCs.

We also have a split on what to do with Myers. Some are hoping he re-signs at a nice discount 2.5-3.5M and fills the 4-5 D role. Others are set on letting him walk and trying Poolman on the second pairing if we also lose Trouba.

Either way, having Scheifele, Wheeler, Hellebuyck, Ehlers and Laine (upcoming - along with Morrissey) under long term deals makes the Jets contenders for the next 3+ seasons.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What the Jet's have now is that 'peak window' where you have star players drafted at the top of the draft during a downturn still on ELC's while the rest of the team has become good around them. Chicago in 2008-09 and 2009-10 were the poster boys for this, so dominant that with how people overreact to who won the Cup last many on here at the time thought the only way you could the Cup was to intentionally tank to make that short window with top ELC players.

What actually happens though is once those star ELC's have t be signed it puts the team into a cap crunch adjustment period, but as the cap tends to rise every year eventually the cap squeeze lets up so if those big contract players are still stars and the team is still well run the 'window' stays open. This applies to Toronto as much as it does to Winnipeg.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I read the thread title and expected that it had been started by a certain fanbase.
Looks like I wasn’t disappointed.
:laugh:

In any event the Jets window looks like it will be open for quite a while. And their strong drafting should help keep it open longer.
Kamiccolo starts a lot of threads and puts work into them. I find him/her to be quite a good poster, so the fact that they are a Leafs fan is irrelevant in this case in my opinion.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They seem to mirror the Hawks. They won the 2007 lottery to get Kane, and were in the conference final by 2009. Jets win the 2016 lottery to get Laine, in the conference final by 2018. The Hawks were loaded up for a run in 2010 with Kane and Toews still on their ELC's. The Jets are loaded up for a run in 2019 with Laine and Connor on their ELC's. Then the Hawks had a cap purge that they didn't recover from for a couple years.

It's not easy to predict the future though. So much will depend on how much Laine and Connor cost. What happens with Trouba. Wheeler will get almost a $3m raise at the age of 33. They'll have $16m tied up in two guys inching toward their mid 30's. They already have a $6m cap hit goalie, and he's had the one season with solid numbers as the #1. Should the Jets find themselves in cap trouble, nobody is going to come help them out of the goodness of their hearts because they really want to see Winnipeg have a winner. If they're in that position, other GM's are going to squeeze them for whatever they can get.

In June 2009, if you had said Pittsburgh would go 7 years before winning a single game after the 2nd round, you would've been rightly ridiculed. There would've been no reason to think that. That was a team with a young Crosby and Malkin, who had just been in the Final in consecutive seasons, winning it all once. However, reality played out the way it did. In a way that probably very few would've predicted, as is usually the case.

No two teams follow the exact same path though. The Jets might win this year, then next year too, even if Laine gets $11m. They might get knocked out this year in the 2nd round, and never end up doing better than last year with their current core. That sounds crazy, but the Pittsburgh situation would've sounds that way too. You just never know what will happen. That's why we all watch.

member 147413

I read the thread title and expected that it had been started by a certain fanbase.
Looks like I wasn’t disappointed.
:laugh:

In any event the Jets window looks like it will be open for quite a while. And their strong drafting should help keep it open longer.
All Leafs fans had a meeting at the Vault today and we discussed this topic, it was decided Kami would start the thread.

We also came to the conclusions that all people of colour can’t swim, all Asians can’t drive and you’re annoying.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
OP is a bit sky is falling.....Jets is are like all successful top contenders with very good drafting results.....very good players get rewarded with contracts....only on HFB is having a excessive amount of good players a bad thing. Players are commodities to be used & traded as required.....even when traded value is transferable. I will say the Jets likely best chance due to cap is this year.......but they will be top contenders for another 3-5 years.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Immediate Cup window is the next 3 years IMO. How long past that will depend on so many factors...NHL lockout, player development (Niku, Samberg, Appleton...), ability to swap out older expensive contracts to make room, etc

Reactions: Hunter368

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad