Consider this alternative to shootouts

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
I'm not a fan of shootouts ... 3 vs 3 is way better. However, what I really dislike is 3 point games. I'd far rather see the NHL turf the loser point than any changes they could make to the shootout or any replacement format. Loser points skew the standings, and ruin the second half of 3rd periods when teams start playing to not blow the loser point instead of winning the game. Losers should not be rewarded. Loser points belong in the same dark hole as no-score soccer and no-grade exams. So keep 3 vs 3 OT followed by a shootout ... I can live with that. But get rid of the loser point.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Trash idea. Hockey is amazing but one of it's faults is traditionalists who want things to be a way because it was a way at one time.

Ties are bad for the game. There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout. If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse.

Besides, what you described essentially already happens. Each team gets a point for going to OT. If someone wins in OT OR in the shootout they get an extra point.
Fine, you want action - no points for ties.

Reactions: Last Gleaming

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Get rid of the shootout, bring back ties and use the soccer system of 3 points for a win and one point for a draw.
Ya man. This.

But it makes sense. So scratch that as an idea this league will ever come up with.

The most lucrative pro sports league in Noth America has ties. But what do they know. Their owners just shart money every time they walk. Silly football league. Where’s their shootout gimmick!?!

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Tied after 65 minutes?

wKjETNg.jpg

No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I think, after overtime, the head coaches should fight for the extra point at centre ice.

to keep it fair, against Winnipeg, the opposing coach has to have an eye poked out.

unless he is also one-eyed.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
My idea: if a game is tied after OT an octagon will be erected at center ice and both team's mascots will compete in an MMA match consisting of 3 5 minute rounds using the unified rules. Mario Yamasaki will be the referee to ensure that if one of the combatants is being beaten badly the fight will continue until said combatant dies.

I've always supported the Thunderdome solution to ties. I mean 2 men enter, one man leaves. It's easy to understand and creates new jobs weekly.

Reactions: sabremike

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
My wacky and rather unoriginal idea would be a mini skills competition, best of 3. Home team picks the 3 events (hardest shot, shot accuracy, etc.).

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I love the idea (for regular season only, of course) of no overtime, wins are worth one point, losses and ties worth zero. No incentive to play for a tie, no reason not to loosen up and go for it.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If it's tied after 65 minutes, teams play Fortnte. Team of last man standing wins.

Bonus: Might help whichever prospect Marek claimed had a video game addiction.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I've always been an advocate for indefinitely 4v4. It'll almost never go beyond an extra 20 minutes.

Drop it to indefinite 3v3 if you want to have it never last more than 10 extra minutes.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Bench-clearing brawl.

The winner of said brawl will get 2 points. The loser will get nothing and like it.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Both teams line up across from one another and sing dirty limericks to each other until one team breaks up laughing (major bonus points if you recognize where I took that from).

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Trash idea. Hockey is amazing but one of it's faults is traditionalists who want things to be a way because it was a way at one time.

Ties are bad for the game. There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout. If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse.

Besides, what you described essentially already happens. Each team gets a point for going to OT. If someone wins in OT OR in the shootout they get an extra point.

Personally I hate more this need the NHL has to reward failure. Can't win in regulation, no problem you get a point and another chance. Still cannot win in OT, here is anther chance.

Teams should not be rewarded if they cannot win. Let the game end after the OT, and punish the teams for a tie:

3 points regulation win
2 points OT win
1 point OT loss or tie
0 points regulation loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad