Consider this alternative to shootouts

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
Extending the 3v3 would most certainly get rid of a lot of the shootouts.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Instead of making a mockery of the thread, cuz we're all the next internet Jim Carrey, how about real ideas. I'm fine with any ideas that favor giving any team being the offensive aggressor during the 60 min an advantage. Sort of a put a carrot on the hamster wheel, and see if he runs harder approach. No irony intended.

...and yes, I know most conventional thinking is how can we make things fairer, especially in OT, but real world says things are better when you increase the incentive.

Reactions: Last Gleaming

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
There was nothing wrong with ties to begin with.
Late in the season and you need that win but end up tied IS drama!
But the American views ( and its true, you know it is) is we need a winner all the time or else it’s boring won out.
2 pts for a win, 1 for a draw. Done.
Go back to that.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
They just need to make OT 10 minutes no intermission, no switching sides after 5, just 10 minutes non stop of 3 on 3. So many more games would be decided that the shootout could possibly become a rarity and actually interesting again.

That's how I've always felt though even when it was 4 on 4, so many times everything is getting intense in the last 2 minutes of OT, I'd imagine if it kept going for a whole 10 minutes someone is going to score.

The shootout takes more than 5 minutes I'm sure (never timed it) so I don't see TV scheduling being any more problematic.

Some day I'll see 10 minutes of OT in the NHL.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Ties are bad for the game. There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout. If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse.

I'm not sure what part you didn't get.

Let me get this right... "There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout" but "If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse"?

So if there's nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout, how can a game ending with no winner be even worse? Because, like you said, there's nothing worse than a game ending in a shootout.

But you're saying a game ending without a winner would be even worse, even though judging by what you said right before that, that would be impossible.

So... I'm with the other guy on this one...

what

Last Gleaming

Jul 21, 2013
Instead of making a mockery of the thread, cuz we're all the next internet Jim Carrey, how about real ideas. I'm fine with any ideas that favor giving any team being the offensive aggressor during the 60 min an advantage. Sort of a put a carrot on the hamster wheel, and see if he runs harder approach. No irony intended.

...and yes, I know most conventional thinking is how can we make things fairer, especially in OT, but real world says things are better when you increase the incentive.

OK, I've been suggesting the following for a while here now:
No shootouts, 10-minute 5-on-5 OT. A tie if no one scores in the OT. Rank teams by wins, then by fewer losses if they're level. There wouldn't be a points column anymore (so this idea also leads to a simplified look for the standings), but essentially, it's 1 point for a win in regulation or OT and 0 points for anything else.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
There was nothing wrong with ties to begin with.
Late in the season and you need that win but end up tied IS drama!
But the American views ( and its true, you know it is) is we need a winner all the time or else it’s boring won out.
2 pts for a win, 1 for a draw. Done.
Go back to that.

If you feel the need to blame America for the shootout.... thank you!! I'll take the responsibility or blame for the "Americanized" shootout. LOL

I must admit, I am still quite amazed that all Canadian fans are able to leave their arenas before the shootout even starts. congrats on that, I guess :laugh:

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
If you feel the need to blame America for the shootout.... thank you!! I'll take the responsibility or blame for the "Americanized" shootout. LOL

I must admit, I am still quite amazed that all Canadian fans are able to leave their arenas before the shootout even starts. congrats on that, I guess :laugh:
I wasn’t really blaming , I was just stating a fact.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I say OT should 15 minutes broken down into 3 parts:

5 min of 5v5

5 min of 4v4

5 min of 3v3

Shootout if no winner after that

After that is a shootout, 5 minutes is too short to decide a game and with travel improvements today no excuse to not extending regular season OT.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
What if I was a fan for 25 years before shootouts?

I would say then that you are most likely a casual fan.
Listen, not trying to get into a fight here with you.
I stated my opinion, you stated yours.
Really doesn’t matter either way as it is what it is right now.
You like the gimmicks, I don’t .

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Trash idea. Hockey is amazing but one of it's faults is traditionalists who want things to be a way because it was a way at one time.

Ties are bad for the game. There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout. If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse.

Besides, what you described essentially already happens. Each team gets a point for going to OT. If someone wins in OT OR in the shootout they get an extra point.

What's wrong with a tie? What's the point of desperately awarding a point to a team by means of shootout or forced OT?

I could see the case for that in the playoffs, and agree with that...but in the regular season? who gives a flying f***?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I would say then that you are most likely a casual fan.
Listen, not trying to get into a fight here with you.
I stated my opinion, you stated yours.
Really doesn’t matter either way as it is what it is right now.
You like the gimmicks, I don’t .

Yes, I'm a 25 yr casual fan. LOL

You're more than likely a casual fan being here for all of 6 months.

Welcome to HF where we like shootouts

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What's wrong with a tie? What's the point of desperately awarding a point to a team by means of shootout or forced OT?

I could see the case for that in the playoffs, and agree with that...but in the regular season? who gives a flying ****?

Most fans. We need closure. We have just sunk 2 1/2 + hours into something, we need a result to complete the experience.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
My viewing experience will be ruined if games in mid January between middling teams don't have a winner or loser in them for some inexplicable reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad