Consider this alternative to shootouts

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My idea: if a game is tied after OT an octagon will be erected at center ice and both team's mascots will compete in an MMA match consisting of 3 5 minute rounds using the unified rules. Mario Yamasaki will be the referee to ensure that if one of the combatants is being beaten badly the fight will continue until said combatant dies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think 2 V 2 game of HHH is the best alternative.

giphy.gif

If by some reason there's a tie, then each team must select one finalist for a gruesome game of Connect-4.

tumblr_m34iwzav4C1r0ix14o1_500.gif

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
You wanna replace a gimmick with an even more ridiculous gimmick lol
Im not a huge fan of the shootout as its annoying losing a game you dominate only lose in a shootout but it is what it is and has been for 13 gears now so I accept it. Still better then a tie

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What if, and hear me out on this.

What if, after OT if the game is still tied, it just ends and both teams get 1 point?

Trash idea. Hockey is amazing but one of it's faults is traditionalists who want things to be a way because it was a way at one time.

Ties are bad for the game. There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout. If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse.

Besides, what you described essentially already happens. Each team gets a point for going to OT. If someone wins in OT OR in the shootout they get an extra point.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Trash idea. Hockey is amazing but one of it's faults is traditionalists who want things to be a way because it was a way at one time.

Ties are bad for the game. There is nothing worse than an amazing game being decided in a shootout. If the game just ended with no winner it would be even worse.

Besides, what you described essentially already happens. Each team gets a point for going to OT. If someone wins in OT OR in the shootout they get an extra point.

It's got nothing to do with being a traditionalist. I'm all of 27 years old.

Maybe it's merely the Soccer fan speaking but I just think ties are fine.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
My idea: if a game is tied after OT an octagon will be erected at center ice and both team's mascots will compete in an MMA match consisting of 3 5 minute rounds using the unified rules. Mario Yamasaki will be the referee to ensure that if one of the combatants is being beaten badly the fight will continue until said combatant dies.

I laughed too hard at this

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If the game is tied after overtime then the team who accumulated the most xGF throughout the 65 minutes is declared the winner :sarcasm:

Reactions: vuvuzela

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think the players should link arms and stand in a line on the blue line (red rover style) and then the goalie has to break through. First goalie that scores themselves into the net wins.

Reactions: vuvuzela

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It's got nothing to do with being a traditionalist. I'm all of 27 years old.

Maybe it's merely the Soccer fan speaking but I just think ties are fine.

I think it's better for fan entertainment to always have one team "win". Now I think it's annoying to lose in a shootout, but at least there's a conclusive result.
(anyways, shootouts came from soccer first so you should appreciate them ;) )

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think it's better for fan entertainment to always have one team "win". Now I think it's annoying to lose in a shootout, but at least there's a conclusive result.
(anyways, shootouts came from soccer first so you should appreciate them ;) )

Honestly, I don't dislike them as much as most people on here. :dunno:

If you have to have a winner for every game you're gonna hit a point where the decider is a gimmick eventually. Playoff style continuous OT is not practical in the regular season.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad