Player Discussion: Conor Sheary

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I don't hate the guy, but he really hasn't contributed anything, even looking away from the points. He's a passenger in each of these games. In 3 of the last 4 games he's played under 10 minutes of icetime, and maybe that's an indication that he'll be sliding out of the lineup soon, but with us playing limbo with the wildcard spot I don't know why we're not at that point already.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
there’s plenty to blame JBB for but i don’t know how anyone could’ve expected this guy to forget how to play hockey the second we signed him

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Just realized he has a NTC. Not that he'd be easy to trade anyway, but everything about this contract from the AAV, the term, to the NTC makes zero sense. Brutal signing by JBB and we'll be paying for it for 2 more years.
JBB gave Sheary a NTC? Why? JBB has lost his mind. I'm starting to wonder if Yzerman left him a notebook with ideas and he used them all up. Because JBB has been worthless for a couple years now. Hagel was a great trade. But that's about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sheary has hit 30+ points or projected over 82 games 30+ points in every season but his first. He's proven he's a good depth scorer in the league. 2M isn't the reason the team is where they are in the standings. Some players workout and some don't, Sheary just hasn't yet and may not but his contract isn't a hindrance. While you can say BriseBois is losing his touch because of this deal he's also the one who signed Essimont for 800k the next 2 years.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Sheary has hit 30+ points or projected over 82 games 30+ points in every season but his first. He's proven he's a good depth scorer in the league. 2M isn't the reason the team is where they are in the standings. Some players workout and some don't, Sheary just hasn't yet and may not but his contract isn't a hindrance. While you can say BriseBois is losing his touch because of this deal he's also the one who signed Essimont for 800k the next 2 years.
His numbers have been good in the past, but for whatever reason nobody has ever really paid him to match that. His last two contracts were 1x735k and 2x1.5m. For us to offer 3x2m with NTC sure seems like a big reach for an aging undersized winger, especially in the cap crunch we're in.
Certainly JBB has made some good moves, but for every good one there's a terrible one too.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Eyssimont ain’t no great shakes. He’s inconsistent and emblematic of our very blah bottom 6. Not sure he helps JBB’s track record at all, and it may or may not be coincidental that Namestnikov has out-scored Ace by a wide margin for nearly a full season now. Vladdy has scored right around .5 PPG while Ace is .29 PPG this year.
Soooo, we’re getting what we paid for

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm not a fan of that kind of players, speedy wingers who don't do anything more than skate and get some occasional points, it's a waste of space in my books playing in 3rd or 4th lines but saying that, his numbers previous sign here are not that bad. I know he spend time in the top lines in WSH. He get his chance here at first mixed some time in the top units and also working in PP but never worked. We can talk about the bad trade of JBB giving so much for Jeannot, but definitively the NTC give to Sheary was the worst decision of his job. Hope he learns about it, this stupid experiment cost us watching this softie without the angry to deserve a job in the team.

Reactions: ultra63

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is like #15 on our list of 17 problems. I don't even think it matters, honestly.

Reactions: Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I like how everyone dumps on the 2M third liner but make every excuse under the moon for the 9.5M guy in net who impacts the game 10x more.

Vasi
Stamkos
Sergachev

That's about 25M more reasons why we're as bad as we are this season. Big contracts not performing.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I like how everyone dumps on the 2M third liner but make every excuse under the moon for the 9.5M guy in net who impacts the game 10x more.

Vasi
Stamkos
Sergachev

That's about 25M more reasons why we're as bad as we are this season. Big contracts not performing.

Cause one guy we like and believe in and the other guy we dgaf about and doesn't help us win two cups

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think JBB can be judged on fringe gambles that don't work out. We needed a fresh body, Sheary was there. It's not like we have a booming farm system of players being held back because we're giving valuable minutes to Sheary.

It's the big gambles. JBB has had some wins and some losses on those. It's like Hagel vs. Jeannot. Probably equally good vs. bad in terms of impact on the franchise. And the Hagel trade took a minute to look as great as it does right now.

Sheary's a guy who wouldn't even by on our mind if the team were in a better place right now. It's like saying "I can't believe Mitchell Stephens has a roster spot" a few years ago. It barely registers.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The guy plays with Stamkos and Paul and has 1 goal and 10 points. He was meant as our Colton replacement. It should be more than doable to fix this $2M cog in the wheel. That’s why it gets brought up so much.

Nobody in their right mind can be happy with our RW depth beyond Kuch. Luke Glendening (9 goals and 10 points) is bringing more offensively in a strict 4th line shutdown role. Let that sink in for a minute.

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
I don't think JBB can be judged on fringe gambles that don't work out. We needed a fresh body, Sheary was there. It's not like we have a booming farm system of players being held back because we're giving valuable minutes to Sheary.

It's the big gambles. JBB has had some wins and some losses on those. It's like Hagel vs. Jeannot. Probably equally good vs. bad in terms of impact on the franchise. And the Hagel trade took a minute to look as great as it does right now.

Sheary's a guy who wouldn't even by on our mind if the team were in a better place right now. It's like saying "I can't believe Mitchell Stephens has a roster spot" a few years ago. It barely registers.
It's still odd to sign players of Sheary's caliber for the length of time with a NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad